+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice about moving to Canada/ finding Job?

NinoJ

Nov 2, 2013
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some answers that will help us get our heads around the endless vicious circle of moving to Canada.

Just a quick background. My husband is French and I am Georgian (currently in possession of 5 years UK residency and 1 year France residency).
We have been married for 10 years and have 4 year's old son. My husband is a Chef by experience. He has been employed in hospitality for past 10 years,even though he has only finished high school and did not further his education. He has worked as a Head Chef, Executive Sous chef ... in Marriott hotels.
I have a a bachelor's degree in Business Administrator but always worked in Hotels. My last job (even though 5 years ago) was in 5 star hotel as a Food and Beverage administrator and Breakfast Supervisor. But since I am holding Georgian Passport I guess it's better for my husband to apply since he is French citizen.
We have been moving around a lot living in UK, Republic of Georgia, Spain and currently in France. The reason why I am giving all those details is that we can not figure out how and where to start the process.
We know that Chefs are in demand in Canada, but if we try to apply for skilled worker what are his chances to get a permission without high education? Then to get a work permit we have to have a sponsored employment yet everywhere we looked they are asking for Red Seal or some other certificate that can not be obtained if you are not working in Canada. Most of the jobs (all we have seen actually) state that they don't provide visas, candidates must be eligible to work/live in Canada. We just don't know what to do any more, we really would love to move to Canada. Please help.

Please try to be civil, I read some comments on forums (not regarding me) but basically telling people to sod off, there are no jobs etc.. remember when you were trying to move, others have same desires and rights.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To qualify to apply through the Federal Skilled Worker program at this time, your husband needs to secure a permanent job offer in Canada. Chefs are not on this year's list of desired occupations. This means he must secure the job offer in order to qualify to apply (the rest of your family can then be included on his application as dependents). You could also be the primary applicant if you can secure a permanent job offer in Canada (then your husband and son would be included on your application as dependents). So the first step would be to secure a permanent job offer in Canada with an employer who is willing to wait until the immigration process is finished for you to start working. There is no easy way to do this and there are certainly many many people who fail to find an employer. All you can do it keep trying.

Another option (as I think you've realized) is to come here temporarily first on a temporary work permit. Once again, obtaining a job offer is the first step. In order to hire you, the employer will have to prove the job was advertised and no Canadian could be found to take the role. They must then request approval to hire you through the Labour Market Opinion process. This process takes several months to complete and costs the employer money. If the LMO is approved, you can then apply for a work permit. Because this process takes a long time, costs money and there's no guarantee of approval, many/most employers aren't willing to hire foreign workers. Once again, there's no easy route. You just have to keep trying and applying to jobs and hope you get lucky. Some people are successful - so it's certainly possible. But do expect it to be difficult and there's certainly a possibility you won't be successful.

Good luck.

NinoJ

Nov 2, 2013
Thank you for your reply and advice. I have been looking on job sites and there are plenty of jobs for Chefs. We keep trying sending good cover letters and CVs and I hope someone will accept us. Thank you. By the way I looked at a site Canada.visa.com and saw this:

The Federal Skilled Worker Program has reworked its list of eligible occupations. They can be viewed here. We are in the process of updating this section of the website to include the currently available 27 occupations. Please be patient while we make these necessary changes.

If you are interested in working as a Chef in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely positive. You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.is:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should be taking all of your information directly from the official CIC web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/

You can find the current occupation list for the FSW program here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp?expand=jobs#jobs

NinoJ

Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for the responses. I don't want to sound lazy or something, I have been looking on google every day for past few weeks. Can anyone advice good web site to look for jobs? Is there maybe a specific site that has potential sponsors?

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately no such web sites exist (i.e. no site specifically for employees who are potential sponsors). You just have to look for jobs on regular job sites. To avoid scams, your best bet is to look for jobs on reputable job sites such as monster.ca, the Canadian Job Bank, workopolis.com, etc. If anyone anyone asks you to pay money in exchange for a job - it's probably a scam and you should run in the opposite direction.