+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adult son of a Canadian Father wanting citizenship - HELP PLEASE

jac4123

Sep 25, 2007
I am an adult son, born in 1964, of a Canadian father. He served in the Canadian Army during World War II and still receives a Canadian Army pension. He moved to the USA after the war and has stayed since as a dual citizen.

There seems to be a gray area in Canadian citizenship if you were born after 1947 and before 1977 abroad to Canadian parents.

I want to claim my Canadian citizenship if possible and live in Canada the rest of my life.

Is it a lost cause to try and become a citizen as a child born outside Canada to a Canadian father at this late stage in life?.....I really didn't know i could claim citizenship and attempt to do this until yesterday. Is it too late???????

I can apply for spousal sponsorship since i married a Canadian, but it will take 6-12 months and $ 1500.00. If i can claim citizenship through my Canadian father it will take only 1-3 months and only $75.00 to apply for.

HELP!

JC

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
I don't know much about this topic myself butI found this article that might help you http://www.lostcanadianchildren.com/. The first part might not be relevant but if you go down to the section titled "Benner vs Canada" and read from there that seems to be where information relevant to your situation starts.

Apart from that I can only suggest you call CIC and ask.

Hope that helps you.