+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ADULT FAMILY SPONSORSHIP

YumiMedina

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Hi,
I just wanted to check if anyone of you have had a similar experience.
I am currently researching on ways to sponsor my adult sister in the Philippines through my parents.
Myself, my parents, and the rest of the family are Canadians, and are trying to find ways to have her here.

Due to current events, my sister is currently financially dependent to my parents, as she got pregnant last year and had a child. When I did the eligibility test, it gave me an answer to go with Family Sponsorship, as she is financially dependent to my parents who are here.

Any advise?

Thank you.

Yumi

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,
I am currently researching on ways to sponsor my adult sister in the Philippines through my parents.
Myself, my parents, and the rest of the family are Canadians, and are trying to find ways to have her here.

Due to current events, my sister is currently financially dependent to my parents, as she got pregnant last year and had a child. When I did the eligibility test, it gave me an answer to go with Family Sponsorship, as she is financially dependent to my parents who are here.

Any advise?

Thank you.

Yumi
Hi,

Any advise?

Thank you.

Yumi
How old is she ? How’d your parents immigrate ?

Reactions: YumiMedina

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Any advise?

Thank you.

Yumi
If she is under 22 years old, is single (i.e. not married, not in a common law relationship), then your parents can sponsor her.

Otherwise she needs to qualify on her own.

YumiMedina

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
We all migrated here 10 years ago and are now all Canadians as a Family but excluding her and several of my sisters as well.
She is already 34 unfortunately, but was just curious when I did the eligibility questions online, there was a question, if she is dependent to my parents financially due to a physical or mental challenges. Where in fact she is currently, as she just had a baby, and is currently being supported by my mom and dad financially.

I know its a weird situation, as I have read that the "Physical or Mental" reason is more so for people incapable to support their living. But this is also true in her current situation. So I was wondering if this is worth consulting with an immigration consultant.

Thank you all again for the responses. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We all migrated here 10 years ago and are now all Canadians as a Family but excluding her and several of my sisters as well.
She is already 34 unfortunately, but was just curious when I did the eligibility questions online, there was a question, if she is dependent to my parents financially due to a physical or mental challenges. Where in fact she is currently, as she just had a baby, and is currently being supported by my mom and dad financially.

I know its a weird situation, as I have read that the "Physical or Mental" reason is more so for people incapable to support their living. But this is also true in her current situation. So I was wondering if this is worth consulting with an immigration consultant.

Sponsorship is not possible. She will need to qualify on her own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry if she wants to come here permanently.

Since she was excluded from the application when you migrated, it is impossible for your parents to sponsor her now. IRCC will not classify her as a dependent since she was excluded in the earlier application.

Even if this wasn't the case, she is far too old to be sponsored and does not meet the criteria to be classifed as a dependent.

She is on her own.

No - it's not worth it to consult with an immigration consultant. The answer is very clear and this will be a waste of money.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

This is not a weird situation. There are many single mothers who managed to live independently. She is lucky to get support from your parents. When her baby is old enough to go to daycare, she could work. So that's not a reason to be "physically or mentally" disable so she cannot work.

Plus other reasons that were given by scylla, your sister cannot be sponsored. She could get more education and get more work experience and immigration on her own.