+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address of cohabitation confusion - please help!!!

KatiZet

Jun 25, 2019
Hello everyone!

me and my common law partner are about to send our inland sponsorship application, but there is one thing which I am really stressed about because I think it may confuse the officer and in result cause problem with our application. Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

We live together now for 1,5 years in Montreal. We rent a studio which is on the "back" of our landlord apartment. We share the patio with him. We have separate entrance from the back street, but all the correspondence goes to his doors, and then he gives it to us. In the lease (on my partners name) the landlord had put our place mentioned as "apartment A", so the address would be number of street + street name + app. A - like "123 Union Street App. A". But we never really put A, since correspondence goes through him anyway, so for most of our correspondence it looks like just "123 Union Street".

So, as a proof of cohabitation we have
1. lease from last years on my partners name, and in the lease there is "123 Union Street App. A"
2. new lease starting july this year with my partner and my name on it, with "123 Union Street App. A"
3. all the correspondence coming on my name, my partners name or for us both on the address "123 Union Street" (no apartment indicated)
4. notarized letter from landlord saying that we have been living together in Apartment A under the address "123 Union Street" but then also notarized explanation from him that him and us in fact live under the same address, and "A" is for the lease purpose.
5. Plus, when I was applying for extension of my visitor visa in February I've put "123 Union Street" as my contact information, without the "A", so they already have this address in their database if such exists (when they sent me my extension of visitor record, they sent it to "123 Union Street")

I'm just wondering if in all the forms which we have to fill we should add this "A" or leave the Appartment/Unit section blank? On one hand the "A" is in the lease, but on the other all of our correspondence (also from Immigration), which we attach as a proof of address, is without it, just with street number....

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
I'd use whatever is on the lease. I don't think its as confusing as you think it is and if correspondence go to 123 Union Street, the officer wont worry about it not saying Unit A.

Reactions: KatiZet

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone!

me and my common law partner are about to send our inland sponsorship application, but there is one thing which I am really stressed about because I think it may confuse the officer and in result cause problem with our application. Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

We live together now for 1,5 years in Montreal. We rent a studio which is on the "back" of our landlord apartment. We share the patio with him. We have separate entrance from the back street, but all the correspondence goes to his doors, and then he gives it to us. In the lease (on my partners name) the landlord had put our place mentioned as "apartment A", so the address would be number of street + street name + app. A - like "123 Union Street App. A". But we never really put A, since correspondence goes through him anyway, so for most of our correspondence it looks like just "123 Union Street".

So, as a proof of cohabitation we have
1. lease from last years on my partners name, and in the lease there is "123 Union Street App. A"
2. new lease starting july this year with my partner and my name on it, with "123 Union Street App. A"
3. all the correspondence coming on my name, my partners name or for us both on the address "123 Union Street" (no apartment indicated)
4. notarized letter from landlord saying that we have been living together in Apartment A under the address "123 Union Street" but then also notarized explanation from him that him and us in fact live under the same address, and "A" is for the lease purpose.
5. Plus, when I was applying for extension of my visitor visa in February I've put "123 Union Street" as my contact information, without the "A", so they already have this address in their database if such exists (when they sent me my extension of visitor record, they sent it to "123 Union Street")

I'm just wondering if in all the forms which we have to fill we should add this "A" or leave the Appartment/Unit section blank? On one hand the "A" is in the lease, but on the other all of our correspondence (also from Immigration), which we attach as a proof of address, is without it, just with street number....
You're way overthinking this. Either way, the officer will understand it is the same address.

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
I have a feeling you're overthinking this. It's not like you're putting down two different street numbers, it's the same address in all cases, but your lease just stipulates exactly which part of the building you live in. I think you can just put "123 Union Street" or whatever on all the forms, especially if you've got a letter from the landlord explaining the apartment number bit.

KatiZet

Jun 25, 2019
thank you all very much for your answers! Actually, I was hoping someone will tell me that I'm overthinking that. It's easy to get stressed with all the forms and guidelines..

So after reading your advice, I think I'll stick to the address I once gave them in my visitor extension form in February and just put "123 Union Street". After all, in the landlord letter it's stated that it's the same street number as his and the A is for the lease purpose.

cannon234

Jun 24, 2019
HI everyone! I am reading these blogs, I and my husband are interesting in migrating to Canada, kind of having a bit of hiccough and wonder, due to our age group, we are in our late 50's, can anyone share any experience if in similar category?

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
HI everyone! I am reading these blogs, I and my husband are interesting in migrating to Canada, kind of having a bit of hiccough and wonder, due to our age group, we are in our late 50's, can anyone share any experience if in similar category?
Over 50 isn't an immigration category. I've attached a link that can help you figure out what would work best for your particular situation which involves much more than your age. Good luck!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html