+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Additional Details" on Partner Questionnaire- Too Flowery?

Bright_skies

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
AOR Received.
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
I am filling out IMM 5490 and for the write-ins I am wondering which route to go. They obviously don't want a testament of love, but also not a sterile play by play. For the details of how we met and how the relationship developed, how much do they want to know about my feelings and how much about facts?

BTW we have hundreds of e-mails back and forth about how much we love each other, and those will definitely be included!

Thanks!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Facts are most important, but feeling must be established as well, you don't want them thinking this is a cold, calculated business relationship (MOC). Make sure you establish emotional linkages to major events, at the very least.

Bright_skies

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
AOR Received.
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
Thanks for the input. It gets confusing when it seems there are many places to put all those tomes of love. There are a lot of great ideas on the forum about the organization of this whole thing, and that helps! Thanks for pointing out about major events, we will be sure to pay attention to that.

Irish Colleen

Star Member
Aug 8, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th December 2011
File Transfer...
7th February 2012
Med's Done....
9th December 2011
LANDED..........
20th May 2012
Hi, I just wrote mine in a sensible way, sometimes it got too flowery and romantic, but that's because it was romantic and truthful. I tried to tell it like a factual story, as we both remembered it and used relevant photos to back up our journey. I wouldn't worry about being too 'flowery', it helps them to see the bigger picture I am sure!

Hello121

Jan 6, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
AOR Received.
March 2011
Med's Done....
expired, need a redo
Interview........
October 4th, 2012 --REFUSED with letter on Nov 8th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Won appeal 8/15
I wish I had put more feeling into my letter. I did some but just mostly with a sense of humor. I'm just not used to opening up like that to strangers who are professionals but sure wish I did now. Maybe should have had a beer or 2 before I started writing. :(

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey well so far I finished #6 and I wrote it in a very humorous way. It had its romantic parts to it and when I described my feelings I used very emotional words. I also made #6 like an essay to how I am and my fiancé. I wanted to show personality and I am planning on doing this for the rest, to keep it from being dull.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
It's all a balancing act. You don't want to appear as though you are being flippant, but at the same time, you want to show the human side of things.

For my wife and I, we kept it honest and to the point. We wrote a lot about our son and why we want to move to Canada. My wife wrote a lengthy account of the development of our relationship. We both made a timeline together and attached a copy to both questionnaires. Everything was as detailed as we could make it, without going overboard.

I agree with CharlieD10...facts are important, as well and links to other areas of your supporting documents (living, children, pets, travels, joint finances, daily living, etc.).

Also keep in mind that the VO does NOT want to have to read a book! They want details, facts, and other relevant information, so balance the emotional side with facts to support what you write.

FS

Bright_skies

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
AOR Received.
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
Thank you all for your advice! It is intimidating when some people post they have like, hundreds of pages! We have LOTS of LONG emails to each other and have tried to pare them down. We plan to include all the mails we wrote to each other before we met (I guess nearly one hundred pages in one month!), and then just important mails after that. Then essays on top of that, we might be looking at a book here! :eek:
No, we will definitely try not to burden the package down with redundant or unnecessary things!

Hello121, did I read your signature right that your wife's interview will be in 2013?! Is that kind of wait normal for Singapore?

Hello121

Jan 6, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
AOR Received.
March 2011
Med's Done....
expired, need a redo
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Won appeal 8/15
Bright_skies said:
Hello121, did I read your signature right that your wife's interview will be in 2013?! Is that kind of wait normal for Singapore?
Yes, thats right. Those of us that I have read who are on an interview list with Singapore were all given interview letters saying that the queue for an interview is 24 months. Just found out from my MP about 2013 yesterday and am still numb.

podkayne8

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
File Transfer...
06-03-2012, Tfer to Seattle 12-04-2012
Med's Done....
09-09-2011
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
22-07-2012, PR card rec'd 21-09-2102
I wasn't flowery in describing the development of our relationship. I was more factual talking about visits and what we did and what friends/family we saw. I think flowery is probably fine though as long as you include facts :) I dont think there is any one right way to do things, just be honest. :)

podkayne8

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
09-09-2011
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
Bright_skies said:
Thank you all for your advice! It is intimidating when some people post they have like, hundreds of pages! We have LOTS of LONG emails to each other and have tried to pare them down. We plan to include all the mails we wrote to each other before we met (I guess nearly one hundred pages in one month!), and then just important mails after that. Then essays on top of that, we might be looking at a book here! :eek:
No, we will definitely try not to burden the package down with redundant or unnecessary things!

Oh and while I have hundreds of pages of chat logs and such..I chose NOT to send those. Because my thought was - honestly - who wants to have to read all that lol. I instead sent a screencap of our Email inboxes and some of the emails we've sent each other. And I just included a note saying "extensive chat transcripts available on request"

Bright_skies

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
AOR Received.
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
Hello121 said:
Yes, thats right. Those of us that I have read who are on an interview list with Singapore were all given interview letters saying that the queue for an interview is 24 months. Just found out from my MP about 2013 yesterday and am still numb.
I'm sorry to hear that. Can she visit in the meantime?

podkayne8 said:
Oh and while I have hundreds of pages of chat logs and such..I chose NOT to send those. Because my thought was - honestly - who wants to have to read all that lol. I instead sent a screencap of our Email inboxes and some of the emails we've sent each other. And I just included a note saying "extensive chat transcripts available on request"
Yes, we considered that, but we wanted to show how well we knew each other by the time we met, as courtship was quick after that ;)
I thought I would preface those letters with a cover sheet explaining how important they were to our subsequent relationship. After that we just printed one or two a month, showing how often we write (even though he is just at work, and I'll see him at 5!) and how we obviously share a household- I think for that a screenshot of the mails would be useful- good advice! I assume you applied as married? Maybe I am just being silly but as we are applying c/law I want it to be clear as crystal to them- the onus of proof is on us! I like the "extensive transcripts available on request", will definitely be using that!

If anyone reading this has had experience applying common law, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello121

Jan 6, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
AOR Received.
March 2011
Med's Done....
expired, need a redo
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Won appeal 8/15
Bright_skies said:
Sounds unlikely from what I have read but will find out soon. Will be looking to apply for one tomorrow.

podkayne8

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
09-09-2011
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
Bright_skies said:

Yes, we considered that, but we wanted to show how well we knew each other by the time we met, as courtship was quick after that ;)
I thought I would preface those letters with a cover sheet explaining how important they were to our subsequent relationship. After that we just printed one or two a month, showing how often we write (even though he is just at work, and I'll see him at 5!) and how we obviously share a household- I think for that a screenshot of the mails would be useful- good advice! I assume you applied as married? Maybe I am just being silly but as we are applying c/law I want it to be clear as crystal to them- the onus of proof is on us! I like the "extensive transcripts available on request", will definitely be using that!

If anyone reading this has had experience applying common law, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Oh yep we applied as married. Probably good to send extra evidence as common-law. It sounds like you have a good plan sending certain stuff and explaining significance. :) I've heard to of people sending screenshots of chat transcripts just to show how often they communicate (rather than literally sending them the full chats)