+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

adding spouse to PR application

junkax

Nov 21, 2009
Hi, I am applying for PR in the federal skilled worker category. I will be sending out my application in the next 1-2 weeks. I have a girlfriend who is on a work visa in the US. We are planning to get married some time this year in the US. I was wondering what is a good time to get married with respect to adding her to my PR application.

I would really appreciate if some one can help me out with this.

thanks a lot

junkax

S

shibuya

CANADIAN IMMIGRATION NEW RULE FOR MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS

The Government of Canada has put forward a new rule as one of the marriage requirements. This requirement is an attempt by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to stop fraudulent marriage applications.

Under the new proposal, a spouse or partner coming to Canada, who has been in a relationship with the Canadian partner for less than two years would only be granted conditional permanent residence. If the overseas partner is not meeting the requirement of staying in the relationship for two years, or it can be shown that it is not a genuine relationship, conditional permanent residence could be withdrawn.
This law has already been implemented in the Australia, United States & UK.
The Canadian government is also planning to introduce a "sponsorship bar", which would prevent those who gained entry to Canada themselves as sponsored partners and spouses from sponsoring a new partner for five years.