+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Spouse to CEC PR Application or Work Permit?

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
Hello everyone!

I am in a situation and would appreciate your inputs on how to proceed.

I am on my work permit and have already received my invite with CIC application progress of 70%. However, I just got married in Feb 2021 and did inform CIC about the same. I have now received a response asking to provide spousal information in order to add her to my PR application for which I have 30 days.

On the contrary, my wife's company has already initiated a work visa to their Canadian office (CIC application yet to be created) and almost every formality from the company's end seems to be complete. Her profile is core IT and development.

Should I or can I inform CIC that my spouse would be coming on a work visa or just let them know that she doesn't intend to come at the moment. And then proceed with the work visa? Will this create any issues?

The merits of work visa is that the processing time is about 6 weeks only and the entire fees are funded by her company. Please suggest on how to proceed in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone!

I am in a situation and would appreciate your inputs on how to proceed.

I am on my work permit and have already received my invite with CIC application progress of 70%. However, I just got married in Feb 2021 and did inform CIC about the same. I have now received a response asking to provide spousal information in order to add her to my PR application for which I have 30 days.

On the contrary, my wife's company has already initiated a work visa to their Canadian office (CIC application yet to be created) and almost every formality from the company's end seems to be complete. Her profile is core IT and development.

Should I or can I inform CIC that my spouse would be coming on a work visa or just let them know that she doesn't intend to come at the moment. And then proceed with the work visa? Will this create any issues?

The merits of work visa is that the processing time is about 6 weeks only and the entire fees are funded by her company. Please suggest on how to proceed in this situation?

Thanks in advance!
You need to add your spouse to your application regardless of whether you list her as an accompanying or non-accompanying dependent. She must still completed the medical, provide PCCs, provide all relevant forms, etc. in order for your PR visa to be approved.

She can also apply for the work permit of course.

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
Hi there! Thank you so much.

Yes, I will be providing all the documents. However, that means, I should also be paying for the processing fee for PR? And I hope I can simultaneously apply for her work permit from her company as well right?

Also, she has already done her medical test that is associated to her work permit. Can we submit the same or should she be taking a new one just for PR? I really appreciate your help! :)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021

Yes, I will be providing all the documents. However, that means, I should also be paying for the processing fee for PR? And I hope I can simultaneously initiate her work permit as well right?

Also, she has already done her medical that is associated to her work permit. Can we submit the same or should she be taking a new one just for PR? I really appreciate your help! :)
You should also be paying for the application fee for PR if you list her as accompanying dependant. You can not simultaneously initiate her work permit along with your PR application. The work permit application should be submitted seperately. You can submit the same medical report if it is done within one year.

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021

By simultaneously I mean, that I submit her documents in my application and along with that, she submits her work permit application through her cic account. The work permit application has been complete and it just needs to be submitted.

Yes, the medical is no older than 6 months. I think that should work in that case. :)

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
Hi There! A quick question again.

If my wife applies for work visa which states that at the end of her period in Canada, she should leave and head back home. At the same time, having a PR application on file, would this lead to a possible rejection?

Mar 29, 2021
It won't cause a rejection for holding a valid work permit and it is going to expire. But strongly recommend her to apply for visitor record before her work permit expires. Another option is to apply for an open work permit if your job NOC Skill Type is 0, A or B. In that case, she can wait for PR IN Canada.

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
Hi there! So the situation is that she is currently in India and her company from India to moving her to Canada. I’m sorry if I did not specify that. What would be the case in this situation?

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
Hi there! The company has applied for an open work permit. However, the project is for 2 years. Just don’t want it to Get rejected and then cause issues to the PR application.

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
Hello! Another question, in the Spousal PR section, it has been asked to submit her birth certificate, passport and marriage certificate. However, she does not have a birth certificate and how do we proceed in this case as I have only 29 days to submit.

Will a letter of explanation and an notarized affidavit of birth do the job? Thanks a lot in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there! The company has applied for an open work permit. However, the project is for 2 years. Just don’t want it to Get rejected and then cause issues to the PR application.
It doesn't make sense that they have applied for an open work permit. I'm assuming they have applied for an ICT which is an LMIA exempt closed work permit.

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
It doesn't make sense that they have applied for an open work permit. I'm assuming they have applied for an ICT which is an LMIA exempt closed work permit.
Hi There, yes, just confirmed that the type of work permit ICT from Exemption from LMIA.

So is it okay if I process this work permit and also add her to my PR application at the same time (Pr from account and Work permit from her CIC account)? Really appreciate your help! :)

Last edited: