+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

adding spouse after COPR

hiteshsh089

Jan 23, 2020
Hi Guys,
I am in a similar situation. I got my COPR and stamp on my passport back in July,2019. I got married in Sept last week and i did not realise that i was suppose to inform them about my marriage. I landed in Vancouver on 1st Oct, 2019. When asked about my marital status i told them the truth. The officer was not letting me in since my COPR says i am single. But i also had a tourist visa to Canada which was expiring on 10th of Oct, 2019 so they let me in. After coming to Vancouver i hired an attorney who took two months to submit my wife's documents. Last time i called Ottawa, i was told that the officer has received all the documents on 3rd Dec 2019 and my file is under review. It has been almost two months now. Every-time i call they just tell me the file is under review. I don't see any update to my account and i have not received a single email asking for any other documents. The COPR and the visa on my passport has already expired. Moreover, my tourist visa is also expired. I have nothing in my hands now. i left Canada on 24th dec since i was just wasting my money there for three months. My medical is also expired back in Dec 2019. what should i do here? Any help will be appreciated.

ruchikathakur16

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Hi Guys,
I am in a similar situation. I got my COPR and stamp on my passport back in July,2019. I got married in Sept last week and i did not realise that i was suppose to inform them about my marriage. I landed in Vancouver on 1st Oct, 2019. When asked about my marital status i told them the truth. The officer was not letting me in since my COPR says i am single. But i also had a tourist visa to Canada which was expiring on 10th of Oct, 2019 so they let me in. After coming to Vancouver i hired an attorney who took two months to submit my wife's documents. Last time i called Ottawa, i was told that the officer has received all the documents on 3rd Dec 2019 and my file is under review. It has been almost two months now. Every-time i call they just tell me the file is under review. I don't see any update to my account and i have not received a single email asking for any other documents. The COPR and the visa on my passport has already expired. Moreover, my tourist visa is also expired. I have nothing in my hands now. i left Canada on 24th dec since i was just wasting my money there for three months. My medical is also expired back in Dec 2019. what should i do here? Any help will be appreciated.
There is nothing you can do other than waiting. Whenever they will pick up your file, and verify all your spouse documents they will eventually send you communication. Don't worry it's just matter of time.

vivekvoona

Dec 24, 2019
I think both options has its risks . In the first option there may be significant delays in sponsoring your wife after you land in canada. I have seen people who were able to do it in 6 months .But its case by case and we cant predict how long will it take .

Option 2 is what i went through and was good for me . I cancelled my COPR and added my wife to my application . After another 2 months i received COPR for both of us . I dont think your scores would be affected as there is no need for a new ITA .My wife also didnt had to do an IELTS or WES and process was very simple for her . Risks are if there is any issues in medical tests,then it may affect both .

You can go through previous pages to find out the docs that was asked to submit in my application.
Hi Paul,
My marriage is on 27th Feb 2020 and my COPR is expiring on 22nd March 2020. I've a tight timeline here. If I inform CIC about the change in marital status soon after my marriage, how are the chances of getting my application re-opened by CIC?

Regards,
Vivek Voona

hiteshsh089

Jan 23, 2020
There is nothing you can do other than waiting. Whenever they will pick up your file, and verify all your spouse documents they will eventually send you communication. Don't worry it's just matter of time.
Thanks Ruchika for your reply. But my question is are they going to ask me to go for medical exam again? Will they recalculate my score and is there a possibility of my file getting rejected? I dont thing they should have take more than one month. I dont even see any update like assigning a UCI number to wife on my account. It seems like they have not even picked my file yet.

paulmathew88

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Hi Paul,
My marriage is on 27th Feb 2020 and my COPR is expiring on 22nd March 2020. I've a tight timeline here. If I inform CIC about the change in marital status soon after my marriage, how are the chances of getting my application re-opened by CIC?

Regards,
Vivek Voona

Mine was very similar case.My marriage was on feb 23rd and ppr expiry was march 31st .
as long as you inform them you are on safe side i think.

paulmathew88

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Helo bro, please can you tell me what is imm forms 5969 ,I got request this form with signature, plz
Hope you had found it ..it just asks for basic details of spouse ..like education ,addresses where they have lived n all..hope you were able to figure that out

Rai@81

Sep 26, 2019
Hope you had found it ..it just asks for basic details of spouse ..like education ,addresses where they have lived n all..hope you were able to figure that out
Yes thanks, I do it, they also asked me proof of relationship, we submit it,let's see how long they take it now ,my file is in etobicoke, eligibility passed July 2019,only security is left

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hi guys,

I got married after receiving COPR and informed IRCC about it and got a request to submit some documents and forms in order to add my spouse to my application.
In the IRCC message I got they stated "Updated Generic Application Form for Canada IMM 0008 for yourself and your spouse or common-law partner (CLP)."

I am confused how to fill Generic Application Form for Canada IMM 0008 for myself and my spouse. Does IRCC wants us to submit two different forms one for me as a principal applicant including my spouse as a dependent, and another one for my spouse as a principle applicant with no dependents? and in this case what program and category should I and my spouse choose for question 1 and 2 in the IMM 0008?

Joe1991

Jan 19, 2019
Mine was very similar case.My marriage was on feb 23rd and ppr expiry was march 31st .
as long as you inform them you are on safe side i think.
Hi Paul,

My case is similar to yours.

I got married after I received COPR but before landing so I informed CIC about my marriage and they asked me to submit documents to add my spouse.
I submitted all documents which CIC acknowledged and now requested to submit her medical and biometrics within one month from now.

My COPR expires in March 2020 and I guess they will ask for medical after it expires which is fine. My question is what will be the new COPR extension date ? Will CIC give a random extension like 1-3 months or extension date as per my spouse medical or my re- medical?

One weird thing on my file, I got request for submitting my spouse documents, meds etc but I still haven’t heard back from CIC to submit my passport and COPR for cancellation. Is that a worry?

Thank you so much for taking to reply to questions posted my members on this forum. Really appreciate that!

drock1234

May 1, 2019
After receiving COPR and before landing in Canada, if we get married and add spouse, I understand they take away the COPR and one-time entry Visa. But, can you please advise if:
1. Do we have to start entire application from scratch? Like Express entry points gets re-calculated for me and my wife together now?
2. Do we have to wait for the ITA (Invitation to apply for express entry again)?
3. Or do we just have to do medicals and bio-metrics for spouse?

paulmathew88

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
After receiving COPR and before landing in Canada, if we get married and add spouse, I understand they take away the COPR and one-time entry Visa. But, can you please advise if:
1. Do we have to start entire application from scratch? Like Express entry points gets re-calculated for me and my wife together now?
2. Do we have to wait for the ITA (Invitation to apply for express entry again)?
3. Or do we just have to do medicals and bio-metrics for spouse?
Nop.... i just had to upload documents of wife and medical tests for both . Points was not recalculated .Please go through my initial posts in this discussion for the documents requested by CIC

DEENA SOPHY

Jul 15, 2019
Hey Guys ...please help me out with suitable links and information regarding adding spouse after receiving copr . I received my passport after ppr stamping in december 2018 .But am planning to get married in Feb 2nd week . I would like to add my spouse to my application before i land rather than going for the tedious route of sponsorship. My last day to enter is March 31st 2019 , i hope they will ask me to do remedical or is there any possibility of medical expiry date extension ? Thanks in advance...

regards

Paul mathew
Hello paul,
Am also in the same boat. Its been an year that u posted. Need your guidance as i wanted to marry and add my spouse. currently i have copr with expiry on aug 18,2020.my fiancé is in dubai and we are planning to get married in July,2020.is it enough that i inform cic post marriage?