+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

adding spouse after COPR

Shaey

Dec 25, 2018
Appreciate any inputs guys.

So mine was a case of expired COPR in 2020. After the whole covid waves n things and long wait, I finally have got my passport stamped the second time with validity upto May 2023. But I might be getting married around Jan/Feb 2023. So a few questions keep running through my mind:

1. Adding spouse is still possible before landing, no rules have changed on that as of now?
2. The process would be as normal as that for any other case of spouse addition after PPR or COPR and there would be no bias considering the fact that my original application was from 2019-20 and then got re-opened in 2022 and recently received COPR , so third time reopening the same application is possible and unbiased by IRCC?
3. If I do a soft landing, come back, get married and then go through the spousal sponsorship route, how much of a hassle is that? (P.S. me and my partner have been in super long distance relationship since long, so this option does not sound exciting to me, considering that one has to stay in Canada till the approval of spouse is granted)
4. Any ideas about the timelines for processing for both 2 and 3 option?

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Appreciate any inputs guys.

So mine was a case of expired COPR in 2020. After the whole covid waves n things and long wait, I finally have got my passport stamped the second time with validity upto May 2023. But I might be getting married around Jan/Feb 2023. So a few questions keep running through my mind:

1. Adding spouse is still possible before landing, no rules have changed on that as of now? Yes, you can add your spouse and it would be the best decision to avoid 1plus year processing time had you added them after landing.
2. The process would be as normal as that for any other case of spouse addition after PPR or COPR and there would be no bias considering the fact that my original application was from 2019-20 and then got re-opened in 2022 and recently received COPR , so third time reopening the same application is possible and unbiased by IRCC? Mostly, yes. Life happens.
3. If I do a soft landing, come back, get married and then go through the spousal sponsorship route, how much of a hassle is that? (P.S. me and my partner have been in super long distance relationship since long, so this option does not sound exciting to me, considering that one has to stay in Canada till the approval of spouse is granted) So much hassle. Would avoid this route. Read answer 1.
4. Any ideas about the timelines for processing for both 2 and 3 option? For 2, 4 to 6 months (if you have PCC, upfront medicals and other documents ready for your spouse. For 3, 12 plus months.

vachunik

Nov 12, 2022
Hey Guys ...please help me out with suitable links and information regarding adding spouse after receiving copr . I received my passport after ppr stamping in december 2018 .But am planning to get married in Feb 2nd week . I would like to add my spouse to my application before i land rather than going for the tedious route of sponsorship. My last day to enter is March 31st 2019 , i hope they will ask me to do remedical or is there any possibility of medical expiry date extension ? Thanks in advance...

regards

Paul mathew
Same situation got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.
please help if anyone has info on this...
Hello,

So just before my COPR expiry, I received a reply from IRCC asking me to submit documents for my spouse - around 7 to 8 documents in total. passport copy, photograph, police clearance, IMM0008 and some other forms etc. I have to submit this within 30 days.

Same situation got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June 2022. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.

canadaball

Jun 29, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello, my timeline is as follows:

COPR expiring: 7 Dec 2022
Got married: 11 Oct 2022
Raised webform: 8 Nov 2022

I've been reading around and notice that IIRC takes weeks to even acknowledge anything. Is it compulsory to have my COPR and visa submitted and cancelled before 7 Dec 2022? In this case, I only have 3 more weeks and it's getting worrying. Or will it be fine to let expire while waiting for IIRC to come back to me?

May I please also get the whatsapp link, thank you.

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
Same situation got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.

Same situation got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June 2022. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.
Did you try to call them?

I raised a webform informing them of my wedding last month but did not respond so I called them yesterday. The operator said that my webform has not entered the system yet so she sent me a package to add spouse to my applicaton and asked me to submit the documents via a webform.

Shaey

Dec 25, 2018
When I raised the second web form, I got the following response: This time it is much better.

"We verified the information you provided regarding your marital status and have forwarded it to the responsible office.

They will contact you if further information is required."
Hello,

I am in a similar situation where I got married after my copr and before my first landing

Timelines:

Copr - aug 2021
Marriage - nov 2021
Copr expiry - July 21, 2022

I informed IRCC though webfrom in December regarding the change in status along with marriage certificate. I did not receive any response yet so I followed up this month and still did not receive an initial response from IRCC.

Since my COPR is nearing expiry in 10 days and without any response from IRCC regarding updating my status do i risk losing a Copr extension?

Is it wise to travel to Canada alone to make my first landing and declare about the marital status at the immigration since I have not received any response from IRCC?

Hi,

Could you please update on your current status or what you did after this post of yours.
It would really be helpful.

TIA

Feb 9, 2022
A possible expansion exists, but it is out of your control. Just start with your spouse's addition and see what happens from there...

Dec 11, 2022
Hello everyone,
Thanks for your suggestions throughout the thread. I would like some suggestions and advice on this.

I have been living in Canada for the past 2 years as a permanent resident. I am planning to get married soon in the next couple of months. My to be spouse who is in India currently has applied for PR through Express entry and has received her COPR. I would like to get suggestions about what is the ideal, less time consuming and legitimate option for us to get married in India and start a life here in Canada.

Thanks again for your advice

thaipham

Star Member
Aug 5, 2021
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
Oct 2020
Hello everyone,
Thanks for your suggestions throughout the thread. I would like some suggestions and advice on this.

I have been living in Canada for the past 2 years as a permanent resident. I am planning to get married soon in the next couple of months. My to be spouse who is in India currently has applied for PR through Express entry and has received her COPR. I would like to get suggestions about what is the ideal, less time consuming and legitimate option for us to get married in India and start a life here in Canada.

I think your spouse should at least do a soft-landing, then you can get married as you wish.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Hello everyone,

Ask her to land in Canada and leave. Then, get married. That would be the greatest decision of your life. If not, you will regret as you will need to go thru few more months of processing times after adding you to her application and waiting for another COPR.