+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse after copr

hirenraghu

Jun 29, 2017
I received my ppr today.
Actually i was not expecting this much quick ppr.
My marriage will take somewhere in october and i would like to add my spouse to my application.
Should i send my passport first for stamping and then wait for marriage OR should i marry now and then inform them about the marriage?
Seniors please help me . I am very much worried.

MohamedWalid

Oct 27, 2017
I received my ppr today.
Actually i was not expecting this much quick ppr.
My marriage will take somewhere in october and i would like to add my spouse to my application.
Should i send my passport first for stamping and then wait for marriage OR should i marry now and then inform them about the marriage?
Seniors please help me . I am very much worried.
Hey,
What have you done in the end my friend? And what are the results? I am in the same situation and don't know what would be the best thing to do...

Thanks!

BillHyatt

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Toronto
Hey,
What have you done in the end my friend? And what are the results? I am in the same situation and don't know what would be the best thing to do...

Thanks!
If PPR is issued before spouse medicals results are received (this includes not including spouse during application) then you will have to sponsor a spouse. An alternative is to ask IRCC to add your spouse to your application before you submit your passport for stamping and in that case, IRCC may deffer PPR and allow you to add spouse.

MohamedWalid

Oct 27, 2017
If PPR is issued before spouse medicals results are received (this includes not including spouse during application) then you will have to sponsor a spouse. An alternative is to ask IRCC to add your spouse to your application before you submit your passport for stamping and in that case, IRCC may deffer PPR and allow you to add spouse.
Thanks Bill for your answer.

In this case, I am considering the following scenario and I seek your advice.

My plan is to land in Canada right away; stay for a couple of days; return to my home country; wait until the PR card is issued and sent to me by a friend from Canada; get married in my home country; and fly to Canada and immediately start the sponsorship process.

Thanks a lot in advance!

BillHyatt

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Toronto
Thanks Bill for your answer.

In this case, I am considering the following scenario and I seek your advice.

My plan is to land in Canada right away; stay for a couple of days; return to my home country; wait until the PR card is issued and sent to me by a friend from Canada; get married in my home country; and fly to Canada and immediately start the sponsorship process.

Thanks a lot in advance!
You should consult with others regarding this issue as well before making a final decision. In addition, do note that sending PR outside Canada is a serious crime.

You should get more information from people with the similar situation and then plan things.

Good Luck

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Completely wrong. A person can be added to an application up until the Principal Applicant actually lands as a PR.

You should consult with others regarding this issue as well before making a final decision. In addition, do note that sending PR outside Canada is a serious crime.
Also completely wrong. There is nothing illegal about sending a PR card outside of Canada.

Reactions: Greetings

BillHyatt

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Toronto
Completely wrong. A person can be added to an application up until the Principal Applicant actually lands as a PR.

Also completely wrong. There is nothing illegal about sending a PR card outside of Canada.
For the first, I have mentioned in my earlier post that they need to defer PPR (landing in other words) if they need to get spouse added.

For the Second, applicants do send PR Cards outside Canada (through friends or FedEx), however, this is not allowed by the IRCC. I only recommend things that are safer options for applicants. The following link highlights these issues for more guidance:
https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/leaving-canada/i-need-to-leave-canada-but-do-not-have-my-pr-card-yet-what-should-i-do/

However, thanks for correcting me if my understanding or choice of words were incorrect.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For the first, I have mentioned in my earlier post that they need to defer PPR (landing in other words) if they need to get spouse added.

For the Second, applicants do send PR Cards outside Canada (through friends or FedEx), however, this is not allowed by the IRCC. I only recommend things that are safer options for applicants. The following link highlights these issues for more guidance:
https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/leaving-canada/i-need-to-leave-canada-but-do-not-have-my-pr-card-yet-what-should-i-do/

However, thanks for correcting me if my understanding or choice of words were incorrect.
Also fine to do a short landing and return to get married. It is very common. You will probably be separated from your wife for around a year. That is the only downside.

Reactions: BillHyatt

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

PPR = Passport Request. Nothing to do with landing.

IRCC doesn't mail cards outside of Canada; that does not mean that it is not allowed. There is no law or rule anywhere in IRPA or on the IRCC website stating that a PR can't or isn't allowed to be sent outside of Canada.