+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse after COPR - documents return

SylviaAltor

Oct 30, 2019
Hello guys, I need some help with COPR/passport returns.
I got married after COPR and sent an email to inform marital status changed in July 2022. In December, I received a letter for additional documents. In the letter, it says:
"Our records indicate that you notified us of this change after we had issued you a Confirmation of Permanent Residence for you and your dependents, if you have any. Please understand that we will require that you return this document as well as your passport(s) with your permanent resident visa(s), if applicable, in order for us to cancel them. You must provide us with these original documents in addition to the other requested documents for us to continue with your application process."

I understand I need to return my COPR and passport soon, but don't know when and where. I called my local VFS, but they knew nothing about it and tried to hang me up. After I tried a few times, they gave me a form called "VISA REISSUE / VISA CANCELLATION REQUEST FORM". I wasn't sure if this is the right procedure to return my COPR and worried it might trigger other kinds of thorough cancellations.
Can anyone give me some help regarding how to return COPR and passport, please?

Last edited:

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
hey I hope you found your answer. I am in the same situation as you. I even visited my local vfs to get my COPR cancelled. The lady at the counter had no idea what to do and got the manager for me. The manager explained to me that when the new COPR is about to be issued the old one will be cancelled and they will issue the new one for the couple. She pointed out to the words "if applicable" to me from that paragraph.

I was at ease after she said this because I was panicking that I still had not submitted my COPR for cancellation. Their wording is very confusing and IRCC should be clearer about this process.

SylviaAltor

Oct 30, 2019
hey I hope you found your answer. I am in the same situation as you. I even visited my local vfs to get my COPR cancelled. The lady at the counter had no idea what to do and got the manager for me. The manager explained to me that when the new COPR is about to be issued the old one will be cancelled and they will issue the new one for the couple. She pointed out to the words "if applicable" to me from that paragraph.

I was at ease after she said this because I was panicking that I still had not submitted my COPR for cancellation. Their wording is very confusing and IRCC should be clearer about this process.
Thank you for your information. I managed to find out that vfs normally would ask to return the old COPR when the new one is issued, but this time the paragraph is confusing. They asked my local visa office for me, and then asked me to mail COPR and my passport back. Now they took the old COPR and canceled my landing visa. But in the end both ways are fine. We sometimes do need clearer instruction.

CXTina

Sep 27, 2022
Hello guys, I need some help with COPR/passport returns.
I got married after COPR and sent an email to inform marital status changed in July 2022. In December, I received a letter for additional documents. In the letter, it says:
"Our records indicate that you notified us of this change after we had issued you a Confirmation of Permanent Residence for you and your dependents, if you have any. Please understand that we will require that you return this document as well as your passport(s) with your permanent resident visa(s), if applicable, in order for us to cancel them. You must provide us with these original documents in addition to the other requested documents for us to continue with your application process."

I understand I need to return my COPR and passport soon, but don't know when and where. I called my local VFS, but they knew nothing about it and tried to hang me up. After I tried a few times, they gave me a form called "VISA REISSUE / VISA CANCELLATION REQUEST FORM". I wasn't sure if this is the right procedure to return my COPR and worried it might trigger other kinds of thorough cancellations.
Can anyone give me some help regarding how to return COPR and passport, please?
May I ask did you receive you COPR by mail? And did you mail them your passport? I didn't receive any and I didn't mail them my passport, but they still asked me to return the document which I don't have. All I ever received was a "Ready for visa" email and I immediately informed them about my marriage after that.

SylviaAltor

Oct 30, 2019
May I ask did you receive you COPR by mail? And did you mail them your passport? I didn't receive any and I didn't mail them my passport, but they still asked me to return the document which I don't have. All I ever received was a "Ready for visa" email and I immediately informed them about my marriage after that.
I did for both questions. If you haven't received your COPR, there's no reason to return it. The timing of your situation is tricky. They need your passport asap for an immigrant visa, but they need time to respond to your marital change. Have you contacted with your local visa?