+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse after AOR

Naynah

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021
Hey Naynah! How’s it going?
What kind of questions did they ask you during the quick interview at the airport?
Also, Did the officers ask for any additional documents?
My spouse and I will fly into Toronto next month
Ensure you don't sign the main copr document and the extra copy of your copr document until you are in front of the officer who will then instruct you to do so

rmsprs

Jul 4, 2020
Hey all I have a couple of questions for those who have been through this process.

I received my Copr and my passport was stamped when I was living in Australia but at present I am in India. When I informed IRCC about my marriage they said

"Our records indicate that you notified us of this change after we had issued you a Confirmation of
Permanent Residence for you and your dependents, if you have any. Please understand that we will
require that you return this document as well as your passport(s) with your permanent resident visa(s), if
applicable, in order for us to cancel them. You must provide us with these original documents in addition
to the other requested documents for us to continue with your application process"

1. Where do I send my passport?
2. I got married two months ago but my partner still lives in a different city because she hasn't been able to find a job here. Would this be a problem? Or should I just put down same address for both of us to avoid complications?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Naynah

Naynah

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021
Hey all I have a couple of questions for those who have been through this process.

I received my Copr and my passport was stamped when I was living in Australia but at present I am in India. When I informed IRCC about my marriage they said

"Our records indicate that you notified us of this change after we had issued you a Confirmation of
Permanent Residence for you and your dependents, if you have any. Please understand that we will
require that you return this document as well as your passport(s) with your permanent resident visa(s), if
applicable, in order for us to cancel them. You must provide us with these original documents in addition
to the other requested documents for us to continue with your application process"

2. I got married two months ago but my partner still lives in a different city because she hasn't been able to find a job here. Would this be a problem? Or should I just put down same address for both of us to avoid complications?

Send it back to the same office that issued you the immigration visa. For the other question as to address. Let them know she lives in another address other than yours and write a letter of explanation stating the reason for living apart. Also I know that part of the documents they request for proof of relationship is something that ties you to your wife e.g joint account. In that letter of explanation you may want to let them know how you guys see each other or the dynamic is living apart and you should be fine

Naynah

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021

I would advice that all the requested documentations for added spouse should be submitted before returning your passport. As a matter of fact, send your passport back with that of your wife's.... Even if she hasn't yet been added to your account. It would be fine. But they would hold on to both passports and reissue them again when ll is said and done

FissionMailed

Oct 6, 2022
Hi All. I am a CEC applicant and I've informed IRCC about my marriage and they've asked me to send the below documents via email.
Updated Generic Application form for Canada IMM 0008 for yourself and your spouse or CLP
 Updated Additional Family Information form IMM 5406 for yourself and your spouse or CLP
 A completed and signed Schedule A Background/ Declaration IMM 5669 by your spouse or CLP
 Supplementary Information Your Travels form IMM5562 E for your spouse or CLP
 If applicable: A completed and signed IMM5409 Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union

I have few questions on IMM 0008 and IMM 5406.
1) Do I have to fill 2 separate applications for myself and my wife or just adding dependent info in IMM 0008 will do?
2) As I fall under Economic class(CEC), if I have to fill out a separate IMM 0008 for my spouse does she also fall under the same category?
2) For 5406, I already filled my family members details during my CEC application, so do I have to fill it again?
3) Can my wife take upfront medical exam?

Thanks in advance

Neo Nelson

Feb 4, 2019
Hi,

Should primary applicant and dependent land together?
I am the primary applicant (PNP Ontario) and I am planning to land first and my wife land few months after.Is it possible?Is there any consequences?

Naynah

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021

I would advice that all the requested documentations for added spouse should be submitted before returning your passport. As a matter of fact, send your passport back with that of your wife's.... Even if she hasn't yet been added to your account. It would be fine. But they would hold on to both passports and reissue them again when ll is said and done
Hi,

Should primary applicant and dependent land together?
I am the primary applicant (PNP Ontario) and I am planning to land first and my wife land few months after.Is it possible?Is there any consequences?
I advice you land together. I think I read that somewhere on IRCC site or in the golden mail...

Reactions: Neo Nelson

vikigenius

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am a CEC applicant working in Canada. I just came to India to get married. Will follow what others have done and notify IRCC of marriage so as to add her to my application. Problem is I will have to go back to Canada for work and obviously Wife won't be able to come since she has no Visa. We don't even have time to go on a proper honeymoon yet.

My question is when they ask for relationship proof, what are they expecting? Since it's India and we have an arranged marriage, we haven't lived together yet, and obviously I am "residing" in Canada and she will be "residing" in India post marriage until we get PR, so we won't really have cohabitation proof.

I see some people mention chat logs etc? How many do you send? Do you just take screenshots etc? We use WhatsApp for texting.

Some clarity on relationship proof is appreciated considering arranged marriage. I am hoping that since arranged marriages are quite common in India, they will still accept it even if we haven't lived together or spent a lot of time together before marriage. I will obviously have the marriage certificate, wedding photos and all the ceremony photos etc.

maghool71

Jan 22, 2021
@maghool71 how far with your application?
No updates at all. I called IRCC in December and the background check is still in progress. Thanks for asking tho <3
Meanwhile, we're getting more and more attached to France and I'm starting to realize it's actually a nice country. And you can apply for a passport after 5 years of residence which we are already almost two years in. Noteworthy to mention that I had lived in Canada for 4 yrs before moving here.

Josh@v

Star Member
Oct 11, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am a CEC applicant working in Canada. I just came to India to get married. Will follow what others have done and notify IRCC of marriage so as to add her to my application. Problem is I will have to go back to Canada for work and obviously Wife won't be able to come since she has no Visa. We don't even have time to go on a proper honeymoon yet.

My question is when they ask for relationship proof, what are they expecting? Since it's India and we have an arranged marriage, we haven't lived together yet, and obviously I am "residing" in Canada and she will be "residing" in India post marriage until we get PR, so we won't really have cohabitation proof.

I see some people mention chat logs etc? How many do you send? Do you just take screenshots etc? We use WhatsApp for texting.

Some clarity on relationship proof is appreciated considering arranged marriage. I am hoping that since arranged marriages are quite common in India, they will still accept it even if we haven't lived together or spent a lot of time together before marriage. I will obviously have the marriage certificate, wedding photos and all the ceremony photos etc.
What you have is more than enough. Many of those won't apply for arranged marriages.

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
Hi all, I received my PPR last year at that time I was in Australia. After that I visited India got married to my girlfriend. I informed IRCC about my marriage and they asked me to submit my Wife’s documents and submit my COPR and passport for cancellation of my current PR. I will be going back to Australia next month so I am confused if I have to submit my COPR and passport to the VO in Australia or India. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dm239

Jan 15, 2023
Hi folks,

Here is my timeline:

07/Jul/2020 - ITA
11/Aug/2020 - AOR
28/Aug/2020 - Biometrics collection letter
10/Sept/2020 - Biometrics done

Long radio silence

11/Mar/2022 - ADR for new Sch A
22/Mar/2022 - ADR for new police certificate
23/Mar/2022 - Re-medical request

Sent a webform to say I had trouble getting a medical appointment within the 30 day deadline and asking if it would be okay if it's within 31 days. They never replied (of course), so I had to rebook at another clinic much farther away and travel for a couple of days to get it done within the deadline.

26/Mar/2022 - Got married
26/Apr/2022 - Ready For Visa email from London office for PA only (email only, no notification in portal)
27/Apr/2022 - Replied to Ready For Visa email informing of marriage and attached raft of supporting docs for spouse:

- Marriage certificate
- Marriage photo
- Sch A for spouse
- IMM5562
- IMM0008
- IMM5406 for PA
- IMM5406 for spouse
- Spouse passport
- Spouse police certificate
- Spouse birth certificate
- Spouse upfront medical
- Updated POF
- Spouse passport-style photo
- Misc supporting documents (shared household bills etc)
- I did not send a payment receipt or relationship questionnaire - I ought to have included these.

15/Jun/2022 - Sent payment receipt using webform
29/Jul/2022 - ADR requesting all of the documents above again plus relationship questionnaire
There was no placeholder in my portal so I sent all the documents via webform.
02/Aug/2022 - ADR requesting all of the documents for a third time. This time they created two placeholders in the portal for me. By combining and compressing the documents, I just about managed to fit everything in.
Spouse's name appeared in portal from around September.
17/Nov/2022 - Biometrics collection letter for spouse which had several errors on it - wrong address, wrong nationality, wrong country of residence (these were IRCC's mistakes, not mine).
18/Nov/2022 - Sent webform and email to London visa office telling them about these errors and asking if its okay to go to a biometrics appointment anyway - they never replied.
02/Dec/2022 - Went to biometrics appointment with the incorrect biometrics collection letter for spouse and were able to do the appointment as normal. Biometrics for spouse displayed in portal immediately.
10/Dec/2022 - Medical passed for spouse
15/Jan/2023 - Ready For Visa message for PA and spouse. This time it came through the portal instead of a direct email.

PA nationality: Irish
PA country of residence: UK
Stream: FSW Outland
CRS: 481
Office: Vancouver

Stay strong folks, we'll all get there eventually. I'll save you some poutine.

oppositeofaproblem

Dec 30, 2019
Finally received BIL for my spouse today, as well as a new medical request and police certificate for me.

So relieved to see progress!

General timeline for those interested:

March 2nd 2022 - Got married
March 3rd 2022 - Informed IRCC
March 22nd 2022 - Received RFV email, and responded to say I have gotten married
May 2022 - Received request for documents for spouse, uploaded everything May 15th inc upfront medical
Then nothing until today. In September 2022 I sent updated POF as previous POF were for myself as an individual (and they never requested this when requesting other documents)
17th Jan 2023 - BIL and request for medicals and new police certificate

Have faith everyone, we will get there eventually