+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding secondary applicant to Federal Skilled Labour Express Entry

A1554069

Star Member
May 2, 2018
Dear All,

Plan A: My Fiance and I are applying for Express Entry. We are getting married in Jan 2019. We are thinking of making one profile to apply with me as the Primary Applicant now (my CRS is 478) and then adding him as a Secondary applicant (when we are married - dates to be determined according to my timeline of applying for PR once ITA is received as I will have 60 days to prepare everything).

Plan B: If we apply together as husband-wife, our CRS score would go up to 481 provided he gets his ECA and IELTS score sorted. But right now he is in the process of getting his ECA done and needs to appear for IELTS.

If we stick with Plan A, does he need to give IELTS or get ECA done as I would have already received ITA with my CRS of 478 and would it matter?

For POF, my husband as a Secondary applicant would be having funds gifted from his parents:
1. Does he need to show these funds are in his account for 6 months or a gift deed would be enough even if he received those funds within those 60 days of us applying for PR?

2. He has taken a student loan in the home country, installments for which he has been paying every month, so his credit history is good that way. Does he need to show any documents relating to this in POF? Would CIC have any concerns about this? Will he have to repay the full loan amount before moving to Canada?

3. Also once I add him secondary applicant (spouse), our POF in separate accounts would be treated as one? As we would have to show a combined POF of CAD 15k something for 2 people. What other expenses in terms of feeds of profile and applying for PR we have to take into account? We want to budget everything.

4. If someone has a foreign currency account to show POF as well, how do we ensure the exchange rate and stuff is equivalent to CAD requirement? A document needs to be provided? How do we check? Oanda currency converter?

Lastly, is there anything else we should account for in this procedure. Any success stories of adding a secondary applicant (spouse) in similar cases? Please share! Thank you!