+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding newborn to my PR application

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
Hello everyone, my PR application is in final stages with expected completion date of 22nd December and my medical expires on 13th Feb, 2020, so I need to ensure I do a soft landing before that.

We are blessed with a baby boy last week whom we want to add to our application. I contacted CIC via webform and they have given me 45 days to submit all documents. I am clear on most requirements, however I a confused about the following:
- updated IMM8 and IMM5406 forms for you and your spouse, to include details of your new baby.

When I access my application there's a requirement to attached 2 different IMM5406 forms, I am assuming my wife and myself will have to fill it separately, please confirm if my understanding is correct. Also there's no attachment shell for for IMM8 form, so I am not sure how and where to attach that. If anyone has recently added a new born please share your experience.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,
Ali

moto90

Star Member
Jul 14, 2018
Hello everyone, my PR application is in final stages with expected completion date of 22nd December and my medical expires on 13th Feb, 2020, so I need to ensure I do a soft landing before that.

We are blessed with a baby boy last week whom we want to add to our application. I contacted CIC via webform and they have given me 45 days to submit all documents. I am clear on most requirements, however I a confused about the following:
- updated IMM8 and IMM5406 forms for you and your spouse, to include details of your new baby.

When I access my application there's a requirement to attached 2 different IMM5406 forms, I am assuming my wife and myself will have to fill it separately, please confirm if my understanding is correct. Also there's no attachment shell for for IMM8 form, so I am not sure how and where to attach that. If anyone has recently added a new born please share your experience.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,
Ali
Hi , I just read this reply from another topic :

Just finished adding our newborn baby to our submitted PR application. Here's a summary of the process.
  1. First step was to send a message over WebForm that our baby was born. Something like "Our daughter ZZZ was born on dd/mm/yy, after our PR application was submitted. We would like to add her to the PR application"
  2. In 5 days we received the generic response email from CIC notifying us of all the forms to fill and send back (This email is listed at the start of this thread so I wont repost it).
  3. The email contained a link to payment instructions. Before submitting documents in the next step we had to prepay the CAD 150 fee to sponsor a dependent child. After creating a login and submitting the payment we received a payment receipt in email.
  4. We submitted exactly the below documents over WebForm.
    1. Generic Application IMM 0008 soft copy, filled and validated. We DID NOT print or hand signature this form. We just filled the PDF fields, clicked validate and saved and submitted the validated form.
    2. Birth certificate scan
    3. Medical info sheet scan - We had already completed the baby's medical exam at this point. When my wife and I did our medical exams before the delivery, the doctor scheduled us for a medical exam for the baby post-delivery along with my wife's X-Ray.
    4. Baby's passport bio page scan - Only submitted a single page scan, the bio/profile page.
    5. Payment receipt - This is the emailed receipt from the previous step.
    6. Letter of explanation - A word document with the same text from Step 1. In addition we listed all the documents that we were attaching (1-5 above)
  5. We received a confirmation mail from CIC 7 days after submission which listed all the filenames that we had submitted along with the text "We have forwarded them and the information you provided to the responsible office for their consideration. If further information is needed during the processing of your application, the responsible office may contact you."
  6. We received an email exactly 30 days after submission which stated that our application had been updated. I logged in and checked the PR application status and in the list of dependents our daughter's name was added.

Some notes about Step 4.
  • The PDF files for the different forms wouldn't open properly in Chrome. I had to download them and then open them in Adobe Reader to access them properly
  • You only need to submit form IMM 0008 to add newborn baby. Form IMM5669 and IMM5406 are only required if you are adding a new adult dependent to the application. Form IMM0008DEP is only required if you have more than 5 family members.
  • We DID NOT submit IMM5669/IMM5406 for the principal applicant and spouse since those details were already part of the original application.
  • For form IMM 0008 we only submitted the completed digital copy. We filled up the PDF on the computer and clicked validate to make sure the barcodes were generated. We did not print or hand sign the form.
  • The WebForm has a size limit of 2MB per document and 3.5MB max for all documents. We scanned all documents (Birth cert/passport/medical) at a low resolution (150dpi, less than 350KB per scan). As long as all the text is readable there shouldnt be any issues. I was able to submit all documents in step 4 in a single WebForm request. However I have read that if you have larger files, you can submit them across multiple WebForm requests.

Hope these details help.

princepk

Star Member
May 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Request Letter explicitly says: " updated IMM8 and IMM5406 forms for you and your spouse, to include details of your new baby"

You didn't specify whether you uploaded IMM0008 separately for yourself and your wife. Pls tell.

vpsw

Apr 23, 2017
Hi need urgent help. I had sponsored my wife in Oct 2019 however the application is still pending owing to Covid, meanwhile our son was born. I want to add him to application. Have sent mail via Webform to IRCC 3 times however they seem to be not reading any email and simply sending a generic reply saying "your application is under process".

Finally today I have received the following email from them
--------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

When you have a permanent residence application in process, a family member could be added at a later date, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To add a person to your application, we invite you to complete the following forms and mail them to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton, Alberta:

and

• The add-on requestincluding:
    • your client ID number/UCI,
    • a detailed letter of explanation,
    • a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship, and
    • if applicable, the proof of payment.
---------------------------------------------------
Now I have following 2 confusions:

1. Everywhere people have mentioned on forums that they submitted their childs application via webform, whereas the email I received from IRCC talks about sending documents by physical mail. I hope the email IRCC has sent me is for adding a newborn to application is correct. OR should I send documents online.

2. When filling out IMM0008 I have to give Primary applicants detail again and then add my son as dependent in application? OR simply fill IMM0008 using my newborn's details.

Any help is appreciated,