+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding newborn after COPR

Jaffer60000

Nov 6, 2020
Hi All,

Hope this helps people in similar situation,

I received am update from IRCC and they have finally reopened my case (it will be same portal where the final application decision that was made). The letter had details on documents that is required to add the dependent child and the option to upload documents were included.

My medicals is expired but they still have not asked medical for me or for my spouse (perhaps they may update once the dependent application is completed). For now only my child medicals were requested and they sent the IME number and documents needed for the medicals and it is exactly the same process except no blood work required for children.

List of documents,

1) Birth Certificate copy
2) Passport copy (just the photo page and amendment page if any)
3) Passport Photo to be uploaded
4) Proof of funds
5) Forms for dependent and generic IMM008 & IMM5406
6) Payment receipt (it was $225 for Express Entry applications to add a child)

Once above documents are uploaded, then they will open the option to upload medicals for the child (so you do not need to rush for medicals)

Timeline
It took approximately 4 months of following up with IRCC using the webform before reaching this stage. Initially contacted IRCC in early Jan 2021 and Application was re-opened on April 23 2021.

Will keep posted on the subsequent steps and timeline.

Thanks,
Hi. Did you get your COPR ?

VictoriousNik

Jan 21, 2020
My CoPR was expired in January 2022. I sent the documents to IRCC through a webform to add my newborn to the application before CoPR was expired. I received a reply from them saying that they have verified the information forwarded that to the responsible office. It's been 5 months, I haven't heard anything from IRCC. I haven't followed up even once during this time. Any thoughts on the timeline?

Coldriver

Aug 6, 2020
My CoPR was expired in January 2022. I sent the documents to IRCC through a webform to add my newborn to the application before CoPR was expired. I received a reply from them saying that they have verified the information forwarded that to the responsible office. It's been 5 months, I haven't heard anything from IRCC. I haven't followed up even once during this time. Any thoughts on the timeline?
Hi Victorious,
They will contact you, you just need to be patient, unfortunately it takes time.... Wish you all the best... By the way we are on the same boat..
Some of my friends got it within 1 year the other within 9 month

nickprado

Nov 17, 2021
I was on same boat as you and you need to keep contacting them. It took us 8 months including so far and no decision to get PPR with child added on. Canadian government ruined my life as I havent been able to see my now 1 year old

Vibicesss87

May 25, 2022
Hi everyone,

Our CoPR will expire by June 18th 2022,
we adopted a newborn on April 26th 2022,
we kept wrinting cse web forms to IRCC since the first day... We nevez received any reponse from IRCC...
We have got flight tickets for Canada for June 7th 2022.

If we make a soflanding, will we have any chance to sponsor our daughter ?

Or should we wait for IRCC response and let CoPRs expire ?

What do you advise guys ?

We are more than lost...

Thx in advance

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

Our CoPR will expire by June 18th 2022,
we adopted a newborn on April 26th 2022,
we kept wrinting cse web forms to IRCC since the first day... We nevez received any reponse from IRCC...
We have got flight tickets for Canada for June 7th 2022.

If we make a soflanding, will we have any chance to sponsor our daughter ?

Or should we wait for IRCC response and let CoPRs expire ?

What do you advise guys ?

We are more than lost...

Thx in advance
Did you legally finished all the adoption process?

If you did, do not land with current COPRs. If you do, you will never be able to sponsor your adopted child.

Reactions: tonisg18

Vibicesss87

May 25, 2022
Did you legally finished all the adoption process?

If you did, do not land with current COPRs. If you do, you will never be able to sponsor your adopted child.
We actually did finish all the adoption process : administrative and legal processes.

Looks like a Gamble : if IRCC never replies saying "do not Travel" and we find ouselves with expired CoPR, IRCC can still have the possibility to refuse openning our case.

Vibicesss87

May 25, 2022
Hi All,

Hope this helps people in similar situation,

I received am update from IRCC and they have finally reopened my case (it will be same portal where the final application decision that was made). The letter had details on documents that is required to add the dependent child and the option to upload documents were included.

My medicals is expired but they still have not asked medical for me or for my spouse (perhaps they may update once the dependent application is completed). For now only my child medicals were requested and they sent the IME number and documents needed for the medicals and it is exactly the same process except no blood work required for children.

List of documents,

1) Birth Certificate copy
2) Passport copy (just the photo page and amendment page if any)
3) Passport Photo to be uploaded
4) Proof of funds
5) Forms for dependent and generic IMM008 & IMM5406
6) Payment receipt (it was $225 for Express Entry applications to add a child)

Once above documents are uploaded, then they will open the option to upload medicals for the child (so you do not need to rush for medicals)

Timeline
It took approximately 4 months of following up with IRCC using the webform before reaching this stage. Initially contacted IRCC in early Jan 2021 and Application was re-opened on April 23 2021.

Will keep posted on the subsequent steps and timeline.

Thanks,
Thanks for the information

Question ; did your Copr expire before IRCC reopened your cases ?

Regards

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
To benefit others, posting here again on the latest update. Since many have been messaging me, please use this first comment first as I will not be able to provide any specific questions related to your case.
IRCC finally came back first week of June 2022, requesting for police verification in our case it was FBI(residing in the US). Once it was uploaded the. next step was to retake the medicals. As of today June 30th 2022. The latest update that I see in mycic/dashboard is "Review of medical results - June 17, 2022:You passed the medical exam."

I expect the next step from them could be requesting passport to be mailed for COPR. The re-process exactly started April 2021.

Note: We already had our COPR done in Jan 2020 but could not travel because of Covid and then followed by baby born dec 2020. So I requested to add baby before travel.

Reactions: YVR123 and goddyim

goddyim

Aug 27, 2022
We actually did finish all the adoption process : administrative and legal processes.

Looks like a Gamble : if IRCC never replies saying "do not Travel" and we find ouselves with expired CoPR, IRCC can still have the possibility to refuse openning our case.

We are in the same situation right as you. Adoption process completed after CoPR is issued. Since July 2022, IRCC has not responded, all documents sent to them. A kind of confused on what to do, also concerned if the Copr expires and IRCC refuses to reopened our file. Pls let us keep up the communication and explore options.

Salmaarab

May 26, 2020
Hello Everyone!
For everyone asking if they can land after COPR and then sponsor newborn baby. DO NOT EVER EVER DO THIS MISTAKE! WE DID THIS AND REGRET IT!
So let me explain our situation. We received our 5 COPRs on June 29 2022. my newborn baby was born on 17 April 2022 and we already notified IRCC, submitted her passport, birth certificate and payed the fees. However, we did not hear from IRCC despite so many follow ups, our status on the website showed approved so we booked our tickets for 24th August and landed at Vancouver airport. The moment they asked us if we had any dependent and we told them yes but IRCC never issued her visa. They seized our COPR and passports and allowed us to stay in Canada without any legal papers. It has now been more than a month, we do not have any PR, SIN, my husband is not allowed to work, my kids aren't allowed to go to school UNTIL OUR NEWBORN BABY's application is processed. We received request from IRCC on 13th Sept to submit all her documents including the medical, my family back home got it done and I submitted to them on 22nd Sept. We are still waiting to hear from IRCC until then we are stuck with no legal document what so ever. What's worse? If I travel to bring my baby, my visa will be cancelled and IRCC will have to issue new visa. Our current COPR's are cancelled and once my baby is added to our application they will issue new COPRs for all of us. Now, for me this was suppose to be a soft landing, I still have my job back home and I am stuck here because of this situation. Thankfully I do have my sister who holds a valid visit visa to Canada so she can bring my newborn baby to Canada with our notarized consent. But, we are stuck and we have no clue at all how much time will IRCC need to process her visa. So please, stay wherever you are and wait for the baby to be added to your current COPR. If you read this, thank you for your time and I hope your application will be processed soon.