+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Canadian Experience to Foreign Experience

demhahero

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Egypt
Hello,

If someone has 13 months of continuous full time Canadian work experience (eligible for CEC) AND 11 months of full time foreign work experience.

Can they consider it as 1 year for Canadian experience and 1 year for foreign experience?
In other words, moving 1 month from Canadian experience to foreign experience to get more points.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

If someone has 13 months of continuous full time Canadian work experience (eligible for CEC) AND 11 months of full time foreign work experience.

Can they consider it as 1 year for Canadian experience and 1 year for foreign experience?
In other words, moving 1 month from Canadian experience to foreign experience to get more points.

Thank you
No. You have 11 months of foreign experience. Was all your Canadian experience in Canada?

demhahero

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Egypt
Thanks for the response. Yes they were in Canada.
The system doesn't make sense, I will not not be able to claim one year of experience despite that I have 12 months which will be overlooked in this case :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the response. Yes they were in Canada.
The system doesn't make sense, I will not not be able to claim one year of experience despite that I have 12 months which will be overlooked in this case :(
To count foreign experience, it needs to be 12 months of continuous work experience. You don’t have that.

demhahero

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Egypt
To count foreign experience, it needs to be 12 months of continuous work experience. You don’t have that.
Does it matter whether it is continuous or not? I am a CEC candidate, so I already passed eligibility with 1 year of Canadian experience.

I think my foreign experience (which gives me extra points) can be accumulated in any way since it will not be accounted for eligibility.

Source:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1132&top=29
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html#minimum

Last edited: