+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Canadian citizen baby to submitted application?

Dec 16, 2022
Hello everyone. I am a Canadian citizen living in the US, and my American wife just submitted her application to become a Canadian permanent resident.

We disclosed in the application that she is pregnant and that the baby is expected in about two months. However, I am wondering if we need to do anything with the application AFTER the baby is born. (For example, does the baby need to be added to Additional Family Information, etc.)

The baby will be a Canadian citizen because I am a citizen, and I will get the baby a Canadian passport immediately. But I'm wondering if the application needs to be changed to reflect that the baby has been born. If so, how do you make a change like this after submission?

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone. I am a Canadian citizen living in the US, and my American wife just submitted her application to become a Canadian permanent resident.

We disclosed in the application that she is pregnant and that the baby is expected in about two months. However, I am wondering if we need to do anything with the application AFTER the baby is born. (For example, does the baby need to be added to Additional Family Information, etc.)

The baby will be a Canadian citizen because I am a citizen, and I will get the baby a Canadian passport immediately. But I'm wondering if the application needs to be changed to reflect that the baby has been born. If so, how do you make a change like this after submission?

Thank you!
It will not hurt and you should add the child, but ONLY to the additional family information - because as you've understood, the child cannot apply to become a PR.

I'd just update the family information form and copy of info about applying for the child's certificate of citizenship/passport. You can add short letter of explanation. Personally i would send this only after you have that info to apply (and the birth certificate).

Note, if the child can get US passport or other documentation of identity, can come to Canada before getting the Canadian passport. US passport will be enough to fly, and birth certificate with Cdn citizen parent (better is copy of app for citizenship/passport) enough to cross a land border - in both cases, just identify the child as Cdn citizen at the port of entry/passport control and show parentage (birth certificate/father's citizenship).

Dec 16, 2022
It will not hurt and you should add the child, but ONLY to the additional family information - because as you've understood, the child cannot apply to become a PR.

I'd just update the family information form and copy of info about applying for the child's certificate of citizenship/passport. You can add short letter of explanation. Personally i would send this only after you have that info to apply (and the birth certificate).
Thank you so much for this. Just one follow-up question - do you know *how* I add to the additional family information, or add a letter of explanation? They say on the PR Portal website that an application is final after you submit it and you can’t make changes. So how do I get them to let me change the Additional Family Information? Thanks again.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much for this. Just one follow-up question - do you know *how* I add to the additional family information, or add a letter of explanation? They say on the PR Portal website that an application is final after you submit it and you can’t make changes. So how do I get them to let me change the Additional Family Information? Thanks again.
You just fill out another copy of the form, scan and submit it through Webform.

Dec 16, 2022
My confusion is that once the PR portal says the status is Submitted, it doesn’t look like you can add anything to the application.

VN1995

Apr 4, 2022
When your wife gets her PR, you can let immigration Canada know then. Since you have already indicated in the application about your wife's pregnancy, You don't need to do anything now. The baby is a Canadian citizen so it will not need to be sponsored. Once your wife's application is approved they will ask her to update any changes with regard to having a new baby.

VN1995

Apr 4, 2022
When your wife gets her PR, you can let immigration Canada know then. Since you have already indicated in the application about your wife's pregnancy, You don't need to do anything now. The baby is a Canadian citizen so it will not need to be sponsored. Once your wife's application is approved they will ask her to update any changes with regard to having a new baby.
You can send in your explanation letter then. There will be contact information on the approval letter for you to update your situation.

TCMalster

Jan 20, 2023
You can send in your explanation letter then. There will be contact information on the approval letter for you to update your situation.
I was in this same situation and I contacted IRCC through web form and uploaded my daughters Canadian birth certificate. They replied after about 2 weeks to say they have accepted my additional documents and have added it to my file

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was in this same situation and I contacted IRCC through web form and uploaded my daughters Canadian birth certificate.
Not that it's a problem, but situation a bit different - a child born in Canada is absolutely clearly not going to need to be added to an app, because ... every child born in Canada is a citizen (extrmely rare exceptions only).

For the child born abroad - who will be citizen by descent - the question WILL arise of whether the child is a citizen or not. Birth certificate showing parentage SHOULD address that, but I'd again encourage providing this info to IRCC in the most complete form possible - i.e. with the copy of application for Canadian citizenship certificate.

Why? Because the officer will have to determine - affirmatively, as a fact - if the child were to be a foreign national, that child MUST be assessed as the dependent of the principal applicant (eg medical tests, other eligibility aspects, etc). This could delay things. So the simple approach is to provide complete information to the IRCC officer so that they can determine all at once that there's no issue. This means that there is no doubt about citizenship of the parent, the parentage of the child AND the way the parent got citizenship (if the parent is a citizen by descent, the child is not a citizen at birth). That last point is not at all evident without more information, although easily enough assessed if the information is provided at the same time.

A Canadian birth certificate is different - because the parentage mostly doesn't matter, nor the citizenship of the parents (with the rare exception of parents who are diplomats).