+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help request - how to handle Canadian-citizen baby born in US

Dec 16, 2022
Hello, I am a Canadian citizen living in the US, and I recently submitted an application through the PR portal for my American wife to get Canadian permanent residency (family class, since I am living outside Canada). We are expecting to have a baby in the next 2 months, so that is before her application will be approved.

We made clear in the submitted application that my wife is pregnant and we listed the date then baby is due. However, I am wondering if we need to do anything with the application AFTER the baby is born, since right now we do not list any children/dependents in the application.

Note: the baby will be a Canadian citizen because I am a citizen; I will immediately get the baby’s citizenship certificate and then passport after they are born. So my question is…

Do I need to do anything to add this Canadian citizen baby to the application after submission, even though we have already told the authorities that the baby is due to be born shortly? If so, how can we change the application after it is already submitted? Thank you!