+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding a spouse to my PR application

Edna179452

Jan 10, 2020
Hi everyone, I have a question. I am currently in Canada and working and I already applied for PR waiting to do my biometric.

However I recently got married and my husband has his own PR application ongoing Before we got married. So now we have two separate application. He recently ordered some notes and it’s not looking too good, something about his job description doesn’t match.
I was thinking of adding him to my application since his own has been over a year and who knows what the outcome will be and he doesn’t live in Canada with me, he is still in Nigeria.
that way he will have to withdraw his application. What do you guys think please I need suggestions.

frusty05

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
if your marital status changes during PR application, you MUST let them know or it will be charged under misrepresentation. I know this because I applied fro my PR and got married to a Canadian 3 months later. i didn't think much of it as he was Canadian so I did not say anything. we went on vacation before my PR was approved (so i was on a work visa), and when i was in immigration coming back in, I said i was on vacation with my husband. the lady took me aside and said i should let the PR office know asap as my application is almost approved. I sent them an email and right away they sent me a form to fill out with my husbands information. 2 weeks later i got my landing papers. btw, my timeline was less than 6 months for PR

its not worth the risk, don't misrepresent yourself.

Edna179452

Jan 10, 2020
if your marital status changes during PR application, you MUST let them know or it will be charged under misrepresentation. I know this because I applied fro my PR and got married to a Canadian 3 months later. i didn't think much of it as he was Canadian so I did not say anything. we went on vacation before my PR was approved (so i was on a work visa), and when i was in immigration coming back in, I said i was on vacation with my husband. the lady took me aside and said i should let the PR office know asap as my application is almost approved. I sent them an email and right away they sent me a form to fill out with my husbands information. 2 weeks later i got my landing papers. btw, my timeline was less than 6 months for PR

its not worth the risk, don't misrepresent yourself.
In your case your spouse was a Canadian and doesn't have any pending application. In my case i am on a work permit in canada and my husband is still in Nigeria. I hear if i add him to my application he has to withdraw his application and there is a possibility that they will move my application to a visa processing office close to where my husband is( And Accra Ghana is not a good place to send paper work because it takes forever). Hence my hesitation.

frusty05

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
To clarify, you don't have to add him to your application, you just have to update your marital status to married. you cant file for PR as single - thats all i am saying

frusty05

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
You CANNOT file as single. just wanted to confirm with you that although you and your husband are filing for PR separately, your marital status on the application has to say Married