+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

add-on dependant (adopted) child

bolortuya

Aug 25, 2019
Hello, I have been sponsored by my husband, i have sent in my application first in Jan, 2018. I got ready to visa letter in Dec, 2018 and was told to send my passport to get the visa. But during the time of the process my mother passed away. I have one younger sister who is 18 years old now (she was 17 in Dec, 2018). My husband and i decided to take her with me to Canada. But because of her age we hadn’t any choice but to adopt her. So we legally adopted her in Jan, 2019 in my home country Mongolia and now she is deemed as our child (now she has my husband’s family name). After i sent my passport to the Hong Kong visa office in Dec, 2019, i was told that i have to let them know about any change in family circumstances such as adoption. So we notified them about the adoption. They replied i have to submit legal adoption papers, and i did. But i haven’t heard back until now. It’s been 6 months already and i’m desperate to go because we’ve been in long distance relationship for many years and i finally got to be with my husband but this process is taking too long. Should i withdraw her from my application? If so, will it harm me from getting my pr card? What other choices do i have? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Erigh04

Oct 22, 2018
You're only 6 months through the process, which often takes 12 months more or less to complete. Since you had to submit extra documents you may fall outside of this processing, so it could take more than a year. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Has the sponsor been approved, or any other updates?

bolortuya

Aug 25, 2019
You're only 6 months through the process, which often takes 12 months more or less to complete. Since you had to submit extra documents you may fall outside of this processing, so it could take more than a year. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Has the sponsor been approved, or any other updates?
no update on the application and i am starting to confuse if we did the right thing. what will happen if i just withdraw my sister from the application now? can i still be able to get my pr card?

Erigh04

Oct 22, 2018
no update on the application and i am starting to confuse if we did the right thing. what will happen if i just withdraw my sister from the application now? can i still be able to get my pr card?
How do you mean no updates? Did you get AOR, Sponsor approval, file transfer, medical requests? As far as removing her and everything, I'm not sure, nor am I qualified to answer that, sorry!

bolortuya

Aug 25, 2019
How do you mean no updates? Did you get AOR, Sponsor approval, file transfer, medical requests? As far as removing her and everything, I'm not sure, nor am I qualified to answer that, sorry!
I was about to get my COPR, but because we adopted her we needed to submit adoption papers to the office to add her as my dependent child. And since that there’s no further instructions.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
If you legally adopter your sister then she is your dependent and cannot be taken off the file. You can make her a non-accompanying dependent but she will still need to be declared. Have you tried ordering GCMS notes? I would do that in your case.

bolortuya

Aug 25, 2019
If you legally adopter your sister then she is your dependent and cannot be taken off the file. You can make her a non-accompanying dependent but she will still need to be declared. Have you tried ordering GCMS notes? I would do that in your case.
I didn’t know about GCMS notes until now. Thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I have been sponsored by my husband, i have sent in my application first in Jan, 2018. I got ready to visa letter in Dec, 2018 and was told to send my passport to get the visa. But during the time of the process my mother passed away. I have one younger sister who is 18 years old now (she was 17 in Dec, 2018). My husband and i decided to take her with me to Canada. But because of her age we hadn’t any choice but to adopt her. So we legally adopted her in Jan, 2019 in my home country Mongolia and now she is deemed as our child (now she has my husband’s family name). After i sent my passport to the Hong Kong visa office in Dec, 2019, i was told that i have to let them know about any change in family circumstances such as adoption. So we notified them about the adoption. They replied i have to submit legal adoption papers, and i did. But i haven’t heard back until now. It’s been 6 months already and i’m desperate to go because we’ve been in long distance relationship for many years and i finally got to be with my husband but this process is taking too long. Should i withdraw her from my application? If so, will it harm me from getting my pr card? What other choices do i have? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
How old was she when you adopted her in Jan 2019?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
in Jan 2019 she was 17 but she turned 18 in Feb.
So that's good - you adopted her before she turned 18. I'm assuming her father is deceased as well.

Given the timing of when you adopted her and added her to your application, IRCC is most likely confirming this isn't an adoption of convenience. I'm assuming that along with the paperwork you subumitted, you included proof of your mother's passing and explained the circumstances of why you suddenly adoped her and added her to your application.

I'm also assuming that you are living in Mongolia now and she is living with you and being supported by you.

bolortuya

Aug 25, 2019
So that's good - you adopted her before she turned 18. I'm assuming her father is deceased as well.

Given the timing of when you adopted her and added her to your application, IRCC is most likely confirming this isn't an adoption of convenience. I'm assuming that along with the paperwork you subumitted, you included proof of your mother's passing and explained the circumstances of why you suddenly adoped her and added her to your application.

I'm also assuming that you are living in Mongolia now and she is living with you and being supported by you.
Yes she is living with me and supported by me now. Our father passed away long time ago. Thank you. You gave me hope :)

Reactions: CarrieK

Scbho

Jan 18, 2019
Hi i just stumbled into your post . Want to ask if you have gotten a response from ircc . This is because i am in the same boat .

bolortuya

Aug 25, 2019
Hi i just stumbled into your post . Want to ask if you have gotten a response from ircc . This is because i am in the same boat .
no i haven’t heard back yet. but i have requested GCMS notes and waiting for it. maybe you should do it too. seems like it is the only way to get accurate information.