+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Add a child in Spousal Sponsorship (outside Canada)

mdr2020552

Jul 24, 2021
Hello!
Hope everyone is having a great day!
I have applied for my spouse in Family Class Sponsorship (outside Canada). My spouse and I are expecting a baby soon. Now there can be 2 scenarios.
1- My spouse gets the COPR before the baby is delivered and she flies to Canada.
2- The baby is born before the COPR and we need to notify IRCC about it.

My question is regarding scenario 2. If that happens, what documents should I prepare as soon as the baby is born so that I can notify IRCC about the change?
Also, how much does it affect the timeline of the application? I know there is not an absolute answer to this, but I would appreciate if you can share experiences of yours or of someone you know who went through this scenario.

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello!
Hope everyone is having a great day!
I have applied for my spouse in Family Class Sponsorship (outside Canada). My spouse and I are expecting a baby soon. Now there can be 2 scenarios.
1- My spouse gets the COPR before the baby is delivered and she flies to Canada.
2- The baby is born before the COPR and we need to notify IRCC about it.

My question is regarding scenario 2. If that happens, what documents should I prepare as soon as the baby is born so that I can notify IRCC about the change?
Also, how much does it affect the timeline of the application? I know there is not an absolute answer to this, but I would appreciate if you can share experiences of yours or of someone you know who went through this scenario.

Thanks.
2. Basically will need birth certificate and passport, but also medical will need to be done. How much it affects timeline is hard to say, but I'd say most don't come before parents are ready to have the infant fly. Probably for most the documents is the biggest delay. It may be possible to submit with birth certificate and passport pending but I don't know. But again, I'd guess most parents with a newborn don't wish long flights and upheaval etc before 4-6 months.

1. Keep in mind limits on when expectant mothers can fly (airlines don't like the risk) and that it can be VERY difficult to arrange for the proper doctors in advance. And that worsened when not all provinces give health insurance right away (3 months is the statutory for all provinces I believe, but some provide before). It's a complicated topic but don[t make a rash decision on that.

mdr2020552

Jul 24, 2021
2. Basically will need birth certificate and passport, but also medical will need to be done. How much it affects timeline is hard to say, but I'd say most don't come before parents are ready to have the infant fly. Probably for most the documents is the biggest delay. It may be possible to submit with birth certificate and passport pending but I don't know. But again, I'd guess most parents with a newborn don't wish long flights and upheaval etc before 4-6 months.

1. Keep in mind limits on when expectant mothers can fly (airlines don't like the risk) and that it can be VERY difficult to arrange for the proper doctors in advance. And that worsened when not all provinces give health insurance right away (3 months is the statutory for all provinces I believe, but some provide before). It's a complicated topic but don[t make a rash decision on that.
Really appreciate your response. Thanks.

Reactions: armoured