+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Actual boyfriend—>feature common law partner: definition? (extension visitor status form)

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi,

Before deciding of posting this thread I want you to know I talked to IRCC so I asked them too. But while I was reviewing my answers (those required to get the document checklist), uploading my forms for the extension of my tourist visa (in order to complete 1 year cohabitation) I got a doubt.

Are you accompanying a family member? (they ask)
NO (my answer)

But then the IRCC agent told me that in FAMILY INFORMATION form IMM5707 I should fill with name and details of my boyfriend… but it is NOT my spouse or common-law partner yet!

So, what to do? The definitions here sometimes are so greyish that I don not know how to behave.

Thanks for any help you may give!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Before deciding of posting this thread I want you to know I talked to IRCC so I asked them too. But while I was reviewing my answers (those required to get the document checklist), uploading my forms for the extension of my tourist visa (in order to complete 1 year cohabitation) I got a doubt.

Are you accompanying a family member? (they ask)
NO (my answer)

But then the IRCC agent told me that in FAMILY INFORMATION form IMM5707 I should fill with name and details of my boyfriend… but it is NOT my spouse or common-law partner yet!

So, what to do? The definitions here sometimes are so greyish that I don not know how to behave.

Thanks for any help you may give!
Hi

The definitions are not grey at all. The IRCC Call Centre is useless. You are not common-law and your boyfriend is not your family member. For the purposes of your application, your marital status is single.

Reactions: marnot

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If you are not yet defined as common-law, your boyfriend should not be identified as a family member.
The definition of common-law is on the IRCC web site.

Common-law partner

Related term:
Common-law spouse

A person who has been living with another person in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. The term refers to opposite-sex and same-sex relationships.

See the legal definition of common-law partner.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Thank you both so much! And yes, exactly, I didn’t even think about adding my boyfriend detail in the family member as the definition of myself as for now is SINGLE (not married nor CL). Is funny if you think about the amount of time you spend on the phone with them and when you hang off you have twice the doubts you had before calling. :(

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
PS: sorry for the mistake in the thread title: of course meant to say FUTURE Common Law

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.