+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Activating my Work Permit-IEC working Holiday

DJesus

Aug 15, 2019
Hi!
So Im a portuguese citizen and came as visitor to canada and applied for the working holiday visa and now got accepted. In order to activate my work permit I booked a flight to the US and back end of august and my visitor record expires on september 17th. My lwayer sai I wouldnt have a problem to do so. However Ive seen on groups people saying if you activate the permit via US with an ESTA youll be given 90 days to leave North America. How accurate is this?it doesnt make much sense to me.
Thank you in advance to whoever can help me with this question.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi!
So Im a portuguese citizen and came as visitor to canada and applied for the working holiday visa and now got accepted. In order to activate my work permit I booked a flight to the US and back end of august and my visitor record expires on september 17th. My lwayer sai I wouldnt have a problem to do so. However Ive seen on groups people saying if you activate the permit via US with an ESTA youll be given 90 days to leave North America. How accurate is this?it doesnt make much sense to me.
Thank you in advance to whoever can help me with this question.
Not accurate. I believe that the US has rules about cumulative stays in North America but Canada doesn't.

DJesus

Aug 15, 2019
Not accurate. I believe that the US has rules about cumulative stays in North America but Canada doesn't.
So you think I should be fine?
This is making me quite anxious, going after what people say and knowing I probably shouldnt have chosen this way to activate my permit because it involves money I will probably need until I get a job and then if I have to leave canada in 90 days time it will be another waste.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So you think I should be fine?
This is making me quite anxious, going after what people say and knowing I probably shouldnt have chosen this way to activate my permit because it involves money I will probably need until I get a job and then if I have to leave canada in 90 days time it will be another waste.
I have no idea what "people" you are listening to but they are idiots. There is no 90 day rule in Canada. If there was, it would be clearly explained in the IRCC website.