+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Activate IEC

Jose85

Apr 28, 2020
Hi there, I have a question here hoping someone in this forum can help.
I entered Candada middle of march. I enter with visitor status because I was looking for jobs and I didn´t wanted to active my IEC(Intenration Experience Canada) and now I have found a job offer, so I would like to activate my work permit. Howerver, due to covid19 they considered flagpoling not essential. I already called IRCC and CBSA both of them don´t give me a solution. I am considering trying to do flagpole by foot. Do you think it will be possible? I have all the documents proof of funds, insurance and isolation plan. Because I am scared if I don´t get my work permit soon, my company will remove the offer and I would lose the job.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there, I have a question here hoping someone in this forum can help.
I entered Candada middle of march. I enter with visitor status because I was looking for jobs and I didn´t wanted to active my IEC(Intenration Experience Canada) and now I have found a job offer, so I would like to activate my work permit. Howerver, due to covid19 they considered flagpoling not essential. I already called IRCC and CBSA both of them don´t give me a solution. I am considering trying to do flagpole by foot. Do you think it will be possible? I have all the documents proof of funds, insurance and isolation plan. Because I am scared if I don´t get my work permit soon, my company will remove the offer and I would lose the job.
As you've already been told, flagpoling is not essential. You will likely just re-enter as a visitor.

Jose85

Apr 28, 2020
ok, thank you very much. If that could be the worst case scenario. I will try :D with all my documentation

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I thought Canada had a visitor ban? DO NOT try to flagpole at least until the US/Canada borders are open.
As the person would be coming from Canada and would be refused entry by the US, Canada would have to take them. CBSA either lets them in with status or detains them at the border and deports them. They will just re-admit as a visitor.

Reactions: Jose85

Jose85

Apr 28, 2020
As the person would be coming from Canada and would be refused entry by the US, Canada would have to take them. CBSA either lets them in with status or detains them at the border and deports them. They will just re-admit as a visitor.
Thank you very much for your information. It has been very useful to make my decission

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ok, thank you very much. If that could be the worst case scenario. I will try :D with all my documentation
Just to repeat Read the CBSA position which is pretty clear and even if anyone did get sent back from the US there is still the possibility of mandatory 14 quarantine. You should not expect an easy time from CBSA given the guidance is pretty clear but upto you . Also you need to ensure your travel insurance is still valid given COVID as insurance for full IEC term is still mandatory and you already been in the country since March.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/iec.html

Last edited: