+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accra, GHANA

kwabena kwabena

Star Member
May 26, 2010
Hi and good day to everyone on this forum,

I would like to start a thread on time lines and other stories from Accra Ghana..

I have not started my application but would like to know other people's expeiences and how their situation has been so far..

Good luck to all and hope you all hear good news soon if you waiting.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Hi. My husband is Nigerian. We got married in October 2007, sent in our application in January 2008, he had his interview in May 2009 and was refused. We got the refusal letter (which was dated the day after the interview) and sent in notice we wanted to appeal in June 2009. Our appeal date is July 6, 2010. So you can see it can take a long time.
Include lots of evidence you have a genuine relationship in your application. I suggest you look at bobshynoswife's posts to see examples of how much evidence and what kinds of evidence you need.
Good luck!

kwabena kwabena

Star Member
May 26, 2010
i just wonder how many ppl From Accra ie Afric get through the normal process with an appeal??? everybody here and other froums i have read on says accra, appeal, why,, why do they always refuse it..??

i am on my evidence gathering

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Accra and Hong Kong have the highest refusal rates for spousal sponsorships - over 40%. Still, that means some get approved, and at appeal about half win.
So it's not hopeless - it just takes a long time.

KAKO

Jan 18, 2010
Pls,i will like to know the reason (s) given in your refusal letter for us to learn.i wish you success.pls let us know the the outcome of your appeal.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Think positively! If 40% are refused, that means the MAJORITY of applications at Accra are approved. I think generally it is people who are having difficulties that reach out to the internet for help and community, so perhaps that is why we see all of the refused cases.

I have recently submitted my application. I think that we have a very strong case supporting our marriage and 2 year relationship. Hopefully strong enough to make up for the fact that I was divorced with children when I married my husband, and that I am caucasian and he is Nigerian.

We are crossing our fingers that his application is processed within the minimum time period of 10 months, which would have him coming to Canada early next summer. We are prepared for it to take up to 18 months though.

Yesterday a member of our forum kelemensee (I am probably butchering the spelling, sorry!) received his visa after only 6 months processing at Accra! This makes me really hopeful, but I also have to keep my feet on the ground, realizing it might have been an exceptional case. Having my husband here for Christmas would be a dream come true...although likely not to happen, I am choosing to think positively and just go with whatever happens.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
KAKO said:
Pls,i will like to know the reason (s) given in your refusal letter for us to learn.i wish you success.pls let us know the the outcome of your appeal.
The visa officer said she did not believe our marriage was genuine. Her reasons for thinking this: 1. our photos weren't romantic; 2. my husband didn't know enough about me for our length of relationship and the amount of time we claimed to have talked on the phone; 3. we disagree on whether to have children, showing we have never discussed this; in a genuine marriage, the couple will have discussed children; 4. I wasn't wearing my wedding ring (I never do, but I had it with me; how I could have forgotten to put it on for the interview I'll never know) 5. when I first started going out with my later husband in 2001, he was also dating another woman; therefore the visa officer said our relationship was just casual; 6. my husband said he wanted to marry a foreigner, not a Nigerian woman; 7. there is little documentation to support that we were in a relationship before 2007, when we got married; 8. in some emails (which unfortunately my husband showed the visa officer) I ask him questions about the immigration forms - the name of his high school, for example. If we had a genuine marriage, I should have known this stuff before filling out the forms; 9. my husband doesn't support me financially.

In the CAIPS notes the visa officer did not write down what I said on many occasions, and often clearly misunderstood what I said. (She interviewed me and my husband.) We never contradicted each other, except for the baby question, which she clearly misunderstood, since I am the one who wants a child. It's true we have little documentation of our relationship before 2007 - we met in 2001 in Taiwan, where we were both living. When I moved back to Canada and he moved back to Nigeria, I had no idea we were going to be going through a sponsorship, so did not keep things like old phone bills and restaurant receipts.

9 is absolutely ridiculous. My husband has a Nigerian friend who does send money to his Canadian wife. At his interview, the visa officer accused him of fraud, and said this money was to pay for a marriage of convenience. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
I wanted to update this thread with my progress.

Our app started processing just a week after sponsorship approval, and now, a week later, we have already received the date for the interview, which will be August 24.

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
OMG that is so great!! I guess being reeeeeaaallly well prepared is paying off, Laura :)

Lori

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Lori, I guess so! A Nigerian friend of ours in London who worked for the british embassy said that they will probably open our 640+ page application and start processing it out of sheer curiosity! LOL! I guess it worked!

We are crossing our fingers that they will issue the visa the day of the interview, which happens in Accra when the interview goes well.

I think they will likely concentrate on issues regarding my divorce and children, and I know he can handle any question they throw at him, so he will do great!

Good to hear from you, and hope you hear good news soon from Sao Paulo!

Yoo dara o!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
canadianwoman said:
The visa officer said she did not believe our marriage was genuine. Her reasons for thinking this: 1. our photos weren't romantic; 2. my husband didn't know enough about me for our length of relationship and the amount of time we claimed to have talked on the phone; 3. we disagree on whether to have children, showing we have never discussed this; in a genuine marriage, the couple will have discussed children; 4. I wasn't wearing my wedding ring (I never do, but I had it with me; how I could have forgotten to put it on for the interview I'll never know) 5. when I first started going out with my later husband in 2001, he was also dating another woman; therefore the visa officer said our relationship was just casual; 6. my husband said he wanted to marry a foreigner, not a Nigerian woman; 7. there is little documentation to support that we were in a relationship before 2007, when we got married; 8. in some emails (which unfortunately my husband showed the visa officer) I ask him questions about the immigration forms - the name of his high school, for example. If we had a genuine marriage, I should have known this stuff before filling out the forms; 9. my husband doesn't support me financially.

In the CAIPS notes the visa officer did not write down what I said on many occasions, and often clearly misunderstood what I said. (She interviewed me and my husband.) We never contradicted each other, except for the baby question, which she clearly misunderstood, since I am the one who wants a child. It's true we have little documentation of our relationship before 2007 - we met in 2001 in Taiwan, where we were both living. When I moved back to Canada and he moved back to Nigeria, I had no idea we were going to be going through a sponsorship, so did not keep things like old phone bills and restaurant receipts.

9 is absolutely ridiculous. My husband has a Nigerian friend who does send money to his Canadian wife. At his interview, the visa officer accused him of fraud, and said this money was to pay for a marriage of convenience. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
I HAVE to post to this even though we are a CDN/US couple - we have been married for almost 12 years. 1) We never discussed children in great detail until we discovered that I was pregnant. 2) I would never have guessed that my husband knows the name of my high school, but he had no idea that I attended two different ones... and I had no idea until 3 minutes ago that he attended 3 different high schools. I often read some of the questions that are posted that applicants have been asked and think that I would fail miserably, and we have been married for 12 years. SHEESH. Some of this stuff is ridiculous. My husband send me money on a few occasions prior to getting married but I have no proof of that - it was 14 years ago. I dont save cards, emails, or any other sentimental crap because that is just who I am. I dont have emails from when we met and we have lived together since our marriage so there arent email correspondence to provide. The only thing to prove is bills and insurance... I understand that this is a process but the humanity needs to be put back in to it. I wouldnt pass some of these interviews that people have to go through.

concrete

Star Member
May 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2011
AOR Received.
20-04-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
05-01-2011
bobshynoswife said:
Lori, I guess so! A Nigerian friend of ours in London who worked for the british embassy said that they will probably open our 640+ page application and start processing it out of sheer curiosity! LOL! I guess it worked!

We are crossing our fingers that they will issue the visa the day of the interview, which happens in Accra when the interview goes well.

I think they will likely concentrate on issues regarding my divorce and children, and I know he can handle any question they throw at him, so he will do great!

Good to hear from you, and hope you hear good news soon from Sao Paulo!

Yoo dara o!

640 pages??!! :eek: exacly what and what is in that? i'm just trying to think of the information my hubby and i will have to gather. we haven't been together long but the marriage is as genuine as they come.

concrete

Star Member
May 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2011
AOR Received.
20-04-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
05-01-2011
and another thing, how would one be able to incorporate text messages into the equation? hubby and i don't have many emails, but we do have a ton of texts and facebook messages, lol

can anyone answer that?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
concrete said:
and another thing, how would one be able to incorporate text messages into the equation? hubby and i don't have many emails, but we do have a ton of texts and facebook messages, lol

can anyone answer that?
Copies of the phone bills showing the numbers the texts are made to?

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
Hi there,

This doesn't have to do with Accra, but im just wondering how you find out the refusal % for a visa office?