+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accra Ghana saga continues.....

jaundice_p

Jul 30, 2008
For those of you dealing with Ghana, or thinking about dealing with Ghana. We continue to update our status so you might have some insight into this office.

We recently saw online that my husband was called to Ghana for an interview. We had not recieved a letter, or any sort of email in regards to this interview. The problem was that the interview was scheduled for 5 weeks from when we saw it. After calling immigration Canada in a roundabout way (as we are residing outside of Canada), they told us to call Ghana and enquire about our application. Once that file leaves Canada, Canada washes their hands of it until you are on your way into the country!!!!

In any event, first I got hung up on twice. One woman told me she doesn't have time to tie up the phone. The other told me I must send an email or a fax. Even though it takes one month for them to reply to emails (and apparently faxes, as we are still waiting on a response to a question we faxed). ANyway, we finally get connected to another office. THey tell us that they have mailed it to our previous address in Canada. The strange thing is, that address was on our INITIAL application from 2 years ago. I left the country 2 months after we had applied, and we decided that we should withdraw the original and place an out of Canada application. On our new application filed December 2007, we did not put our address in Canada, since we are now staying here in South Korea. We were here at the time of our application, and other than on the section that asks you for previous addresses, we did not put that Canadian address. Needless to say, that's where they sent it! To make matters worse, when we asked them the exact address, they had an error in the exact address, so the letter still had not made it to our old landlord. Futhermore, we had recieved only one piece of correspondence by mail at our current address since we applied, and that was from CIC Canada stating our file had been aprooved for sponshorship and was being transferred to the office in Ghana. So clearly CIC Canada could read our new application. I'm just not sure why Ghana could not!

In the end, and after much frustration a more competent woman, sent the interview letter to us via email. She did it within five minutes of getting off the phone with us.

Why, all the confusion? I just don't know. I realize however, that no responsibility will be taken for their mistakes. Had we not checked the website, indeed we would have missed that interview, so even though it is sometimes a little discouraging to check the website and see no changes. You never know when it will make a huge difference!!!!!

Also....if you have been waiting awhile, (Ours was 14 months that we had waited) we went the MP route, and the MP got an answer for us within two weeks. And, perhaps it has nothing to do with it, but Ghana acted on the next step of our file about 3 weeks after getting the request from the MP.