+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accounting/Finance/Investment Jobs (CPA/CA/CGA/CFA)

eecandidate

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
I landed in Canada and currently in NS and looking for job opportunities. Must have sent my resumes to 15 job ads but no response. Is Canadian Experience being the barrier. I initially thought prior arrival that I would land a position easily with any employer.
I have CPA, CGA, ACCA, DipIFR (ACCA/UK), MCSI (UK) and CFA L3 Candidate with over 6 years of foreign work experience.
Anyone who is already in Canada working in this field, please response how is the job market outlook and possible compensation for a person like me and the appropriate city to relocate if need be.

Regards,
eecandidate

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Do you have a CPA license from any Canadian province? If you don't, then landing a job that requires an accounting designation will be difficult - the CFA is the only recognized designation you have, and it's still work in progress.

My advice... Work on obtaining a Canadian issued designation - the ACCA should make it easy for you.

That said, Canadian experience may be a factor among other things, such as how well you write your cover letter and resume, the job market etc.

As for the applications... Keep writing them! Most people write way more than that, in a week.

All the best.

eecandidate

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
Hi next 2015,

Thanks for your reply. I already have CPA from NS. and doing my best. its not been long since I am here so still need sometime to catch up with the job market.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Have you thought about moving into a slightly different role outside mainstream accounting?

There's a few roles emerging that require an accounting background, but are not really accounting/finance roles. I suggest you do a keyword search on job boards like indeed.com For example, a search with the keyword "CFA" or "CPA". You'll get a number of results, look at them; I'm sure you'll see some roles that are not your typical accounting/finance roles - if they interest you, apply.

I'd also like to suggest: try targeting opportunities in Toronto - it's home to Canada's financial industry. There's more opportune there compared to other cities.

Otherwise, hangin there, and find a settlement services organization. Some of them offer job placement services. Also sign-up with www.careeredge.com they connect new immigrants to paid internship positions - it's a smart way to enter employment and gain Canadian experience. The pay is low, but it gives you the opportunity to enter a professional role, and gain experience. Usually, if the employer is impressed they'll offer you the role or another on a permanent basis.

These are all just avenues you can use to get your foot in the door. It's up to you to use them.

All the best.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
eecandidate said:
I landed in Canada and currently in NS and looking for job opportunities. Must have sent my resumes to 15 job ads but no response. Is Canadian Experience being the barrier. I initially thought prior arrival that I would land a position easily with any employer.
I have CPA, CGA, ACCA, DipIFR (ACCA/UK), MCSI (UK) and CFA L3 Candidate with over 6 years of foreign work experience.
Anyone who is already in Canada working in this field, please response how is the job market outlook and possible compensation for a person like me and the appropriate city to relocate if need be.

Regards,
eecandidate
What types of jobs are you looking for? With your qualifications, you would be well prepared for a variety of them. What specific field is your experience in? Accounting? Corporate Finance? Financial reporting? FP&A?

eecandidate

Star Member
Feb 22, 2015
I worked within investment management, portfolio management and raising equity under private placement. are you an accoutant in Canada too?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
eecandidate said:
I worked within investment management, portfolio management and raising equity under private placement. are you an accoutant in Canada too?
I'm not an accountant, but do work in investment banking/private equity. PM me and I'll give you some tips.

AbiAbiAzam

Aug 15, 2016
eecandidate said:

Regards,
eecandidate
You only sent your resume to 15 job ads? Sounds like you are a bit lazy. You need to be more active.

AbiAbiAzam

Aug 15, 2016
next2015 said:
Do you have a CPA license from any Canadian province? If you don't, then landing a job that requires an accounting designation will be difficult - the CFA is the only recognized designation you have, and it's still work in progress.

My advice... Work on obtaining a Canadian issued designation - the ACCA should make it easy for you.

That said, Canadian experience may be a factor among other things, such as how well you write your cover letter and resume, the job market etc.

As for the applications... Keep writing them! Most people write way more than that, in a week.

All the best.

If you are from Pakistan you may want to check cgaglobal.org regarding joining the association before leaving. It is the Certified General Accountants branch in pakistan. It will give you an advantage as I am told.

I'm not from paklastan so I don't know first hand - but have been told of this.