+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying parent

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have been granted study permit for May 2021 intake along with my husband and child. Now i want my mother to accompany me on visitor visa for initial 3-4 few months so that while we settle in there she can spend time with my son in my absence.
1. If i select the purpose of visit as " visit family/friends", i have to upload the invitation letter. Is this valid that i invite her along with me to stay for some months in Canada.
2. If i write the invitation letter - has it to be written to immigration officer or to my mother to invite her?
3. Should i apply using her own different GC key? since i have already received my study permit.

Can the experts please help me. Thanks!
Your mother applies separately and shows her own finances and ties. She isn’t visiting family and friends if you are not even in Canada. An invitation letter doesn’t really help if you are not even in Canada. Also she needs written authorization to travel which may be difficult to secure as she has to show essential travel.

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Your mother applies separately and shows her own finances and ties. She isn’t visiting family and friends if you are not even in Canada. An invitation letter doesn’t really help if you are not even in Canada. Also she needs written authorization to travel which may be difficult to secure as she has to show essential travel.
Thanks @Naturgrl . So i shall apply using her own GC account and her own financial statement.
Also authorization to travel will only be requested after the visitor visa is approved as per my understanding. Please correct!

But then what should i select in the purpose of visit dropdown?
1. Visit family/Friend
2.Conduct business
3.tourism
4. attend interview
5.Other

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks @Naturgrl . So i shall apply using her own GC account and her own financial statement.
Also authorization to travel will only be requested after the visitor visa is approved as per my understanding. Please correct!

But then what should i select in the purpose of visit dropdown?
1. Visit family/Friend
2.Conduct business
3.tourism
4. attend interview
5.Other
1 or 5. You can look at authorization to travel now but need essential reason.

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
1 or 5. You can look at authorization to travel now but need essential reason.
thanks, if i select option 1, it requires an invitation letter...can i write invitation letter as i want my mother to accompany me during my travel.
Not sure how can i invite her to stay with me even when i m not there in Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
thanks, if i select option 1, it requires an invitation letter...can i write invitation letter as i want my mother to accompany me during my travel.
Not sure how can i invite her to stay with me even when i m not there in Canada.
You can try. You really should go to Canada first and then have her apply. The issue is that she is going to be seen as moving with you especially since you are not even in Canada. Also getting approved written travel authorization is the bigger issue because you are only a temporary resident and PRs and citizens’ families are not even being approved for travel authorization.

Last edited: