+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying a Canadian Citizen Abroad

Rheabeezee

May 2, 2018
Good day!

I just recently applied for a PRTD. However I still have some other concerns; The reason I applied for PRTD is because my PR Card already expired. (While I am here in Manila) and I plan to go back to Canada soon to renew my PR. I know that in order to maintain my status as a permanent resident, I must live in Canada for at least two years (730 days) within a five-year period and during that time I must be there physically. However in my case I was in and out of the country. I just spent a total of 454 days (physically present) in Canada and spent more time here in the Philippines.

The last day I was physically present in Canada was last January 2017. I travelled here to accompany my husband (who is a Canadian Citizen) who is still with me up to present. We are aware that if a PR is travelling outside of Canada with a Canadian Spouse the time spent outside of the country may also count as the days (physically present) inside of Canada. And so I was granted with a PRTD because I showed evidence that clearly demonstrates that I have been accompanying a Canadian Citizen. We've been here together for a total of 471 days so if I add it all up. I've got a total of 925 days counted that I am also inside of Canada. Am I right?

So this is my main concern; Since I travelled accompanying a Canadian Citizen does it mean I should go back to Canada with the person I am accompanying with (my spouse)? Or can we travel separately on different dates? Will it affect my residency (and the days counted above) if we don't go back together? Will I be questioned by an officer upon arriving in Canada if I am not with the person I am accompanying with? Please advise.

Thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Good day!

I just recently applied for a PRTD. However I still have some other concerns; The reason I applied for PRTD is because my PR Card already expired. (While I am here in Manila) and I plan to go back to Canada soon to renew my PR. I know that in order to maintain my status as a permanent resident, I must live in Canada for at least two years (730 days) within a five-year period and during that time I must be there physically. However in my case I was in and out of the country. I just spent a total of 454 days (physically present) in Canada and spent more time here in the Philippines.

The last day I was physically present in Canada was last January 2017. I travelled here to accompany my husband (who is a Canadian Citizen) who is still with me up to present. We are aware that if a PR is travelling outside of Canada with a Canadian Spouse the time spent outside of the country may also count as the days (physically present) inside of Canada. And so I was granted with a PRTD because I showed evidence that clearly demonstrates that I have been accompanying a Canadian Citizen. We've been here together for a total of 471 days so if I add it all up. I've got a total of 925 days counted that I am also inside of Canada. Am I right?

So this is my main concern; Since I travelled accompanying a Canadian Citizen does it mean I should go back to Canada with the person I am accompanying with (my spouse)? Or can we travel separately on different dates? Will it affect my residency (and the days counted above) if we don't go back together? Will I be questioned by an officer upon arriving in Canada if I am not with the person I am accompanying with? Please advise.

Thank you.
As long as you have a PRTD you can travel on your own.