+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Acceptable Reasons for Not Getting Married (Conjugal Partnership)

Val30

Oct 2, 2018
Hello!

My girlfriend and I are in a same-sex relationship for over three years now. She has a PR status in Canada while I am in the Philippines, where same-sex marriage is not legal (and can be prosecuted as a criminal act under our penal code). However, I understand that there are countries we can go to to get hitched. The problem is, I come from a conservative Chinese family and they would never approve of me marrying someone of the same sex. Will my family's disapproval be an acceptable obstruction to marriage and qualify us for a conjugal partnership application? If so, how can I prove this?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but given you are both adults , free to make your own decisions in life then whilst might be hard lack of family approval not as I understand seen as a valid reason. As adults you can as you imply go to any country where same sex marriage is allowed.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
09-08-2018 returned 31-10-2018
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
You can apply but you need to live together first without marriage it's your only option I believe. In the long run your family is going to find out anyway so why make the process harder? What ever you choose it is yours to make and no ones elses. I'm happy you found love and hope your family will see reason.

Zzeeshan86

May 16, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London, UK
App. Filed.......
19-08-2017
Doc's Request.
03-10-2017
AOR Received.
02-10-2017
Med's Request
03-11-2017
Med's Done....
12-11-2017
Passport Req..
18-10-2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think there is some confusion with conjugal partnership and common law partners. Have you lived together for 1 year? Have you tried to come to Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

My girlfriend and I are in a same-sex relationship for over three years now. She has a PR status in Canada while I am in the Philippines, where same-sex marriage is not legal (and can be prosecuted as a criminal act under our penal code). However, I understand that there are countries we can go to to get hitched. The problem is, I come from a conservative Chinese family and they would never approve of me marrying someone of the same sex. Will my family's disapproval be an acceptable obstruction to marriage and qualify us for a conjugal partnership application? If so, how can I prove this?
Hi

Homosexuality is not illegal in the Philippines, so not sure what you are meaning by that.

Your family is irrelevant to the situation. You need to apply for a TRV. If approved, you can come to Canada and marry or become common-law. If refused, you can apply for conjugal. There is no requirement to go to a third country to marry.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
You only need to try to come to Canada. If you are denied access to Canada, then you can apply as conjugal (because you cannot get married in the Philippines and you cannot get to Canada to get married).

Reactions: np08

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
You only need to try to come to Canada. If you are denied access to Canada, then you can apply as conjugal (because you cannot get married in the Philippines and you cannot get to Canada to get married).
Pretty much this, @Val30.

While you could get married in a third country, CIC only requires you to attempt to get married in Canada or your country of origin. As you can't get married in the Philippines, that presents a legal barrier to marriage on that side of things. This leaves the option of getting married in Canada. If you can't get a visa to go to Canada, that presents an immigration barrier to getting married.

These two combined would make you eligible for conjugal sponsorship (can't get married in the Philippines, can't travel to Canada to get married there). However, you must apply for a visitor visa to Canada and get denied in order to prove this. If your visa application is approved, then nothing is stopping you from getting married.

Family approval, money issues, any everyday stuff like that doesn't count as an actual barrier. As an adult, you can get married against your family's wishes or even in secret, if you will. So they will most definitely not accept that as a barrier.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
09-08-2018 returned 31-10-2018
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
Val zee is right I think we were a bit confused click on his link . He would know better then we do . He explains really well his thought process then the full process. Also hes seems really lovely so I will assume he will be able to answer some questions for you.

Reactions: monkeys89