+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Acceptable pieces of ID (PR and passport?)

mohsen.k

Nov 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I plan to apply this week as the new law goes into effect. I tried searching but could not find anything matching my question exactly. I was wondering if you can submit your passport biographical page and PR card as 2 pieces of ID? It is awkward because I am already submitting both under other requirements.

I find myself in a situation where my BCID expired a couple of weeks ago and I need to apply for a BC services card. Should I also submit the expired card with an explanation? I also have an expired care card from 2012 (I have always had MSP coverage, the card is just expired and I never got a new one). I hear you shouldn't submit a card that was issued less than 3 months ago, so I wonder if I should wait until 3 months after I get the new BC services card?...

Thank you so much for your help.

JoeOs

Oct 7, 2017
Hi everyone,

I plan to apply this week as the new law goes into effect. I tried searching but could not find anything matching my question exactly. I was wondering if you can submit your passport biographical page and PR card as 2 pieces of ID? It is awkward because I am already submitting both under other requirements.

I find myself in a situation where my BCID expired a couple of weeks ago and I need to apply for a BC services card. Should I also submit the expired card with an explanation? I also have an expired care card from 2012 (I have always had MSP coverage, the card is just expired and I never got a new one). I hear you shouldn't submit a card that was issued less than 3 months ago, so I wonder if I should wait until 3 months after I get the new BC services card?...

Thank you so much for your help.
This is from citizenship application guideline...

4. Two (2) pieces of personal identification
Both pieces of identification should show your name and date of birth, one of which must have your photo on it.

Examples include:
  • a Canadian driver’s licence
  • a Canadian health insurance card
  • a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document, etc.
Yes, biographical pages of your passport will serve as second ID even if you have used the passport under different requirement

mohsen.k

Nov 10, 2016
This is from citizenship application guideline...

4. Two (2) pieces of personal identification
Both pieces of identification should show your name and date of birth, one of which must have your photo on it.

Examples include:
  • a Canadian driver’s licence
  • a Canadian health insurance card
  • a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document, etc.
Yes, biographical pages of your passport will serve as second ID even if you have used the passport under different requirement
Thanks. Yes, it does mention the passport, but it doesn't say anything about using a PR card as identity. That is my main concern.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thanks. Yes, it does mention the passport, but it doesn't say anything about using a PR card as identity. That is my main concern.
Given PR card doesn't explictly show up on the acceptable pieces of ID in the guide, I wouldn't. Best to send exactly what they asked for.

The application already asks to submit bio pages of your passport, and a copy of PR card. If both of these were also acceptable pieces of IDs, then I feel they wouldn't have asked for it again.

Although, PR card does fit the bill to be an acceptable ID - government issued, photo, name, date of birth .. all info is there.

Last edited:

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
Yah I was confused about this requirement too.

The Biopage is already used and required elsewhere so I was confused as to whether it can be used again or not.

However, under pieces of personal identification it again says you can provide copy of the page of your passport/travel document. So I am just including that.

I dont think an expired ID would look good. And in BC our Driver's license and Health card are combined into one. So effectively I am short of 1 ID which I would have otherwise had. Meaning that the passport bio page is what I can use.

How about a birth certificate? I feel that would be a qualifying piece of personal identification.

Cheers!

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
We added extra passport copy for identification purposes (valid passport) and copies of all required passports biographical pages as well (separately).
So it is fine if you duplicate.