+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Academic suspension

May 6, 2022
Hi Sara,

I'm so depressed to get a letter from Centennial College that mentioned academic suspension for 1 year. However, this summer will be my final semester and I need to support my family because my father passed away this year and my mother is sick however, I'm the only one who has to support the whole family. If I cannot continue my studies I will have a lot of difficulties in future. One of the most important things: my study permit will expire by the end of August 2022. If I will not continue studying due to the suspension I cannot extend my study permit further to stay in Canada. What should I do?

Your attention and consideration to this matter will be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Sara,

I'm so depressed to get a letter from Centennial College that mentioned academic suspension for 1 year. However, this summer will be my final semester and I need to support my family because my father passed away this year and my mother is sick however, I'm the only one who has to support the whole family. If I cannot continue my studies I will have a lot of difficulties in future. One of the most important things: my study permit will expire by the end of August 2022. If I will not continue studying due to the suspension I cannot extend my study permit further to stay in Canada. What should I do?

Your attention and consideration to this matter will be greatly appreciated

Thank You
So sorry for your situation. Why were you suspended? Are you studying now or are suspended as of what date? If suspended for a year, your study permit will be cancelled and you will need a new one. If now suspended, you cannot work. Talk to the college about overturning the suspension so you can finish your studies.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
An academic suspension is enforced after a student on academic probation or continuing on academic probation does not achieve a sessional GPA of 1.60 or higher in their most recent semester. When this requirement is not met, the University imposes a suspension to give you a break from your studies in order to seek adequate support, or give you the opportunity to re-evaluate your time commitments, priorities, and academic goals. While you are carrying out the term of your suspension, you will not be eligible to take courses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have a few options like enrolling at another college full-time so that you remain a full-time student and qualify for PGWP. Have you remained a full-time student throughout your studies? That option will allow you to work and once your academic suspension is up you can do the course. Do you have the funds to study at another college? Whether you have remained a full-time student up to now will make a big different in your potential options.