+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About transcripts

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

border9999 said:
I would like to know do I need to submit transcripts of my university or diploma is enough?
Read the instructions, you are required to submit transcripts/mark sheets in a University sealed envelope.

PMM

meon

Jul 30, 2007
yes you are right, or you have to submit your origional educational degrees or certificates.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

meon said:
yes you are right, or you have to submit your origional educational degrees or certificates.
No, they don't want the degrees or certificates, they want the transcripts or mark sheets only.

PMM

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Not all countries have educational transcripts as it is done in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Austrailia and others. So, for these countries, CIC indeed accepts certified copies of the diplomas and /or degree certificates.

So, Border999, if you are from a country where the educational institutions provide transcripts or "testimonials" or whatever they are called, you need to have your university or educational institutions send you a "sealed" transcript to your address, and you must forward the transcript to your Consular office without the seal broken on the envelope.

nimi

Sep 27, 2007
With regards to submission of transcript; i think a certified copy might do. I submitted a transcript amd it was not in a sealed envelope;it was just a certified copy and this was accepted without any problem.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
1. Usually, most alumni would pay money to order transcripts from their alma mata, and the universities would usually send the transcripts in a sealed envelope either to the alumnus or to a designated third party.

2. You can send the sealed transcript to CIC without much ado and without any additional expense.

3. If you break the seal, then it means you have to certify the transcript. Certifying the transcript involves expending additional money because most people pay money in order to have their documents certified - unlike some people who would have thier banks certify documents for them for free, in places such as the U.S.

So, why break the seal and pay the additional money to certify the transcript, when the transcript could easily be sent to the Consulate in its sealed envelope?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
For what it's worth, I sent original transcripts and copies of diplomas/certificates. Nothing was in an original envelope, and none of the diplomas/certificates were certified or notarized. The Buffalo office accepted these and my SW application was approved.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Hi Thaiguy,

Your input - appreciated - brings to light yet another scenario of how CIC treats individual applications in exercising their discretion. Another case in point is that they will request the IELTS from non-English speakers from one part of the globe despite a declaration of English proficiency, but waive the same test for non-English speakers from another part of the globe – based on the their “declaration” of English proficiency.

The submission of open and /or non-notarized transcripts holds true for your case. But don’t forget that you are an applicant from a country in the Industrialized Western Hemisphere, and as such the format in which your credentials were submitted might not receive that much scrutiny compared to an applicant from a non-Industrialized, non-Western country.

My response is actually for applicants who are from non-Industrialized, non-Western Countries and who would rather not want to jeopardize their application process - they can always choose to take the risk with a leap of faith, and send in open and /or non-notarized credentials.

And so, copies of the credentials from an applicant who lives in a non-Industrialized, non-Western country are in some instances scrutinized with a “jaundice eye.” For these applicants, it is better for them to send in authentic proof of their credentials and not just ordinary copies, so that they do not jeopardize their applications.

This is because these applicants do not get paid in U.S or Canadian Dollars and they always have to consider very high exchange rates. Therefore, such applicants cannot afford re-applying after a denial from an immigration officer, who in his discretionary powers, would deny an application because of “insufficient” proof for educational credentials just because the applicant did not satisfy the authenticity of his or her credentials to the individual officer’s discretionary satisfaction.

"It is better to be safe than sorry."

thaiguy said:
For what it's worth, I sent original transcripts and copies of diplomas/certificates. Nothing was in an original envelope, and none of the diplomas/certificates were certified or notarized. The Buffalo office accepted these and my SW application was approved.