+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About to settle - help on some basics

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
So my IEC Working Holidays application has been approved and have booked tickets to Regina for June 24th! Will be travelling with my Canadian wife and try to settle and hopefully start a new life there.

As you may understand we're quite stressed, especially as it will certainly be hard at the beginning, so would like to ask a few questions to clear some things up. Sorry in advance for the long post but thought it would be best if I included everything in one post instead of creating new ones for each question seperately. Would appreciate any help or advice on some or all of the following:

1) Proof of funds:
a) Bank said a cheque would take a lot of days to clear (around 30), so they suggested printing a statement in English, showing the amount we have in our account. Would that be sufficient as POF in the airport?

b) If the above would be ok, would I have to declare that I carry over 10k? I'd guess not since I won't really have the money with me, will transfer them by e-banking later.

2) Insurance:

a) My wife would be able to get insured as soon as she lands, as returning Canadian. Would I be eligible for coverage, considering I won't be there as PR but as a temp?

b) If I am, would I still have to buy private insurance prior to my trip in order to show it to the officer at the airport if they ask me to? I guess it would be silly to risk getting denied entry due to this, so will probably have to buy it anyway.

3) SIN number: Will I need to/ Am I eligible to issue one under this program?

4) Bank account: If I don't get a SIN number, will I be able to open a joint account there with my wife, who will obviously have one?

5) House: Without references from owners in Canada or pre-arranged employment, do we stand a good chance of finding a place to rent or would we be expected to spend our money in hotels until we manage to get a job first?

6) Please advise the best order to follow for the above. Eg. SIN-> Bank -> House or other? ???

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
I'm only going to answer what I know.

beholder69 said:
So my IEC Working Holidays application has been approved and have booked tickets to Regina for June 24th! Will be travelling with my Canadian wife and try to settle and hopefully start a new life there.

As you may understand we're quite stressed, especially as it will certainly be hard at the beginning, so would like to ask a few questions to clear some things up. Sorry in advance for the long post but thought it would be best if I included everything in one post instead of creating new ones for each question seperately. Would appreciate any help or advice on some or all of the following:

1) Proof of funds:
a) Bank said a cheque would take a lot of days to clear (around 30), so they suggested printing a statement in English, showing the amount we have in our account. Would that be sufficient as POF in the airport?

b) If the above would be ok, would I have to declare that I carry over 10k? I'd guess not since I won't really have the money with me, will transfer them by e-banking later.

2) Insurance:

a) My wife would be able to get insured as soon as she lands, as returning Canadian. Would I be eligible for coverage, considering I won't be there as PR but as a temp?
Healthwise? In Ontario you have to wait three months, even if you are a returning Canadian. If she was living here less than three months ago, then she's fine. But if she was living out of Canada for longer, then she will have to wait 3 months to get OHIP. I am not sure what other provinces rules are for returning Canadians. You cannot get OHIP until you are a PR for three months.

b) If I am, would I still have to buy private insurance prior to my trip in order to show it to the officer at the airport if they ask me to? I guess it would be silly to risk getting denied entry due to this, so will probably have to buy it anyway.
They won't ask about health insurance.

3) SIN number: Will I need to/ Am I eligible to issue one under this program?
From what I understand, yes, you actually will get a temp one.

4) Bank account: If I don't get a SIN number, will I be able to open a joint account there with my wife, who will obviously have one?
After you get Canadian photo ID and proof you are living in Canada and proof you are married.

5) House: Without references from owners in Canada or pre-arranged employment, do we stand a good chance of finding a place to rent or would we be expected to spend our money in hotels until we manage to get a job first?
Look for an immigration portal near where you will settle. They can help you find places that are willing to mortgage with newcomers/returning Canadians. (I.E. This is the one near us: http://www.newcomersinfo.ca/ )

6) Please advise the best order to follow for the above. Eg. SIN-> Bank -> House or other? ???
Sin, Bank, House/Apartment, yes
Sorry I can't answer the funds one :(

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to answer Parker, your reply was very helpful!

Regarding my wife's health insurance, I think she would be covered in Saskatchewan from day 1, at least if I understand correctly that she would be classed as a returning Canadian in the Special Newcomers section on this website: http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/moving-to-saskatchewan

In any case, I'll buy private insurance for myself, just in case, as it seems to be required for the IEC program. Apparently it says you may be denied entry if you don't have it.

Another quick one I had forgotten though:

I have a European driver's licence (in English). I have read about the procedure to change it in Sask, however I'm in a dilemma. First of all, I'm not sure if I could change it to a Canadian DL at all, since I'll be in the country temporarily. If I can change it though, I have 90 days to do it after I arrive in Canada. Do you think it's worth the whole procedure and money? I wouldn't even consider it as I'll not be buying a car anytime soon but on the other hand, if we do decide to stay in Canada and apply for family sponsorship and I do decide to get a car later, then I'll have to take all the tests and get the probational licence first, so not sure if I should do it now just to avoid all the hassle later. If I'm not eligible to change it though, I'm screwed anyway, so there goes my dilemma :D

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
beholder69 said:
Thanks for taking the time to answer Parker, your reply was very helpful!

Regarding my wife's health insurance, I think she would be covered in Saskatchewan from day 1, at least if I understand correctly that she would be classed as a returning Canadian in the Special Newcomers section on this website: http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/moving-to-saskatchewan

In any case, I'll buy private insurance for myself, just in case, as it seems to be required for the IEC program. Apparently it says you may be denied entry if you don't have it.

Another quick one I had forgotten though:

I have a European driver's licence (in English). I have read about the procedure to change it in Sask, however I'm in a dilemma. First of all, I'm not sure if I could change it to a Canadian DL at all, since I'll be in the country temporarily. If I can change it though, I have 90 days to do it after I arrive in Canada. Do you think it's worth the whole procedure and money? I wouldn't even consider it as I'll not be buying a car anytime soon but on the other hand, if we do decide to stay in Canada and apply for family sponsorship and I do decide to get a car later, then I'll have to take all the tests and get the probational licence first, so not sure if I should do it now just to avoid all the hassle later. If I'm not eligible to change it though, I'm screwed anyway, so there goes my dilemma :D
Get an international DL. Then you don't have to keep switching it :)

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Hmmm... I saw that you may drive for a period of up to 3 months with an International DL in Sask. Not bad but I'll probably want to change it anyway, also noticed that Greece is not on the list of countries that they exchange DLs with, so will have to change the tests anyway, at least there will be no waiting period or need for driving lessons :D

marydegala

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
mandaluyong
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
assesstment in process dec2014
ask ko lng... possible bah nah kung kulang yung show money namin, pede ishoulder ng sponsor namin? we are common law partner kc.. and we are applying permanent residence sa canada.. pero kulang yung funds namin... yung sponsor namin is yung tita ng partner ko.. kapag nandun nah kami..dun kami titira sa house nya... pede kaya icheck ni canada imigration yung bank accounts nung tita nya??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beholder69 said:
Hmmm... I saw that you may drive for a period of up to 3 months with an International DL in Sask. Not bad but I'll probably want to change it anyway, also noticed that Greece is not on the list of countries that they exchange DLs with, so will have to change the tests anyway, at least there will be no waiting period or need for driving lessons :D
Some provinces require a drivers abstract to accept your license so it would be good for you to find out if SK does before you go so you can get the drivers abstract if you need it before you go. Otherwise, if the license has an issue date of at least more than a year ago, you should be ok to not end up in the graduated licensing system and not have to wait to drive alone. The tests are not that hard :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marydegala said:
ask ko lng... possible bah nah kung kulang yung show money namin, pede ishoulder ng sponsor namin? we are common law partner kc.. and we are applying permanent residence sa canada.. pero kulang yung funds namin... yung sponsor namin is yung tita ng partner ko.. kapag nandun nah kami..dun kami titira sa house nya... pede kaya icheck ni canada imigration yung bank accounts nung tita nya??
I don't understand your question. Can you write in English please?

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Leon said:
Some provinces require a drivers abstract to accept your license so it would be good for you to find out if SK does before you go so you can get the drivers abstract if you need it before you go. Otherwise, if the license has an issue date of at least more than a year ago, you should be ok to not end up in the graduated licensing system and not have to wait to drive alone. The tests are not that hard :)
Thanks again Leon! Have already contacted SGI to find out if they need an abstract, in the meantime I'm trying to find how it is called exactly in Greek and where to get it from, as I have already asked 4 public servants in relevant authorities and nobody knew :eek:

My current license was issued in 2003 and I'm an experienced driver without any tickets or record at all, so hope it will all be simple enough. :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You basically just need a letter stating that you had your license since 2003 and that you are accident free. I am sure some public servant can write you one, whether they want to is a different story :)

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
LOL, went to the Ministry in person today, everyone there was staring at me like I was an alien or something and after sending me to one office after the other (5 in total) they assured me that they can definitely, as in "100%" cannot issue me such a paper as they have no clue if I've ever had any accidents etc and told me to ask my previous private insurance companies about it... Well, what the hell, I'll try that as well :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beholder69 said:
LOL, went to the Ministry in person today, everyone there was staring at me like I was an alien or something and after sending me to one office after the other (5 in total) they assured me that they can definitely, as in "100%" cannot issue me such a paper as they have no clue if I've ever had any accidents etc and told me to ask my previous private insurance companies about it... Well, what the hell, I'll try that as well :D
Have you tried the police? They should know if you have been in an accident or if you have demerit points on your license.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Hmm, good idea! I will ask there as well. Tomorrow of course as it's already 2 pm here so they've stopped working for today ;D

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
The police weren't able to help nor the insurance companies... The funny thing is that I actually found how the relative document is called in Greek and that it would have to be issued (found it on Greek sites) but no mention as to where to issue it from and nobody knows anything about it, happy days :D

On the bright side, got a detailed response from SGI and turns out the driver's abstract is optional (although it would be to my benefit for my future insurance), so got away with it. They suggested issuing an international license though, just in case I have trouble with the translation of the European one.

So the only thing left if the proof of funds issue; that is if I'll be ok with a recent bank statements in English from my bank here.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
beholder69 said:
The police weren't able to help nor the insurance companies... The funny thing is that I actually found how the relative document is called in Greek and that it would have to be issued (found it on Greek sites) but no mention as to where to issue it from and nobody knows anything about it, happy days :D

On the bright side, got a detailed response from SGI and turns out the driver's abstract is optional (although it would be to my benefit for my future insurance), so got away with it. They suggested issuing an international license though, just in case I have trouble with the translation of the European one.

So the only thing left if the proof of funds issue; that is if I'll be ok with a recent bank statements in English from my bank here.
That should be fine! :) Glad you got the DL thing figured out!!