+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About the new ceasement law for refugees who has pr status

sevanb

Aug 5, 2012
Hello everybody.
According to new law refugees who obtain or status if they travel back to home countries or if they renew or apply to get their passports from home countr they could loose both their refugee and pr status. They have to be Canadian citizen if they want to travel back home.

My question is: With travel document whereever you want to travel you need a visa from that country. Sometimes you could get denied which happened to me last year. I got my travel document and I applied to get a visa from Morocco and they didn't give that to me. I am from Turkey and there is no visa between Morocco and Turkey if u want to stay up to 90 days in Morocco for example. They told me that if I had a TUrkish passport there would not be any problem and I could go there without a visa.

So...if I had my passport I could go several countries for vacation or for visit purposes without a visa. But with travel document I have to have a visa.

I dont get this law. Does anybody have any suggestions for this issue.

Please don't tell me that I shouldnt travel untill I get the citizenship.

Thank you in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You gained your refugee status based on that there is a danger to you staying in your home country. If you go and get your home country passport and go visit your home country, this would mean to immigration that you lied and that there is no danger to you staying in your home country. That is the basis for you losing refugee status if you do that.

I am not going to tell you that you shouldn't travel but you will be limited to how much you can travel on your travel document or if you want to risk getting your home country passport and hope they don't find out, go ahead but be aware the you will lose your PR status if they catch you.

sevanb

Aug 5, 2012
Hi Leon

Thanks for the answer but I think you misunderstood.
Getting your home country passport doesn't mean that you are travelling back home.
With that passport you can travel to some other countries without getting a visa.
Bu this law saying that if you renew your passport you could loose your status.
Why is that I dont understand

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
No reopening of claim or application

170.2 The Refugee Protection Division does not have jurisdiction to reopen on any ground — including a failure to observe a principle of natural justice — a claim for refugee protection, an application for protection or an application for cessation or vacation, in respect of which the Refugee Appeal Division or the Federal Court, as the case may be, has made a final determination.
2012, c. 17, s. 51.

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
sevanb said:
Hi Leon

Thanks for the answer but I think you misunderstood.
Getting your home country passport doesn't mean that you are travelling back home.
With that passport you can travel to some other countries without getting a visa.
where is this written in the new law??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't seen this new law myself but I can only assume that the grounding for it would be that when applying as a refugee, you are expected to sever ties with the country you are fleeing from. Taking up normal relations with the country that you are fleeing from, such as going to their consulate to apply for their passport may be interpreted to mean that you no longer need refugee status.

sevanb

Aug 5, 2012
Thanks Leon.
In my opinion until I get my citizenship I should be able to travel with my passport. If I don't go back home I should be ok. I need to find out more about this law I guess

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sevanb said:
Thanks Leon.
In my opinion until I get my citizenship I should be able to travel with my passport. If I don't go back home I should be ok. I need to find out more about this law I guess
On what of the listed grounds did you apply and get refugee status as this will help provide you a response.

Harjit Grewal

Feb 15, 2014
This comes under the term "Re-Availment" - Article 1(C) of the UN Refugee Convention - who ceases to be a refugee

Under UK law (where I practiced immigration law for 6 years) - it was possible to contact the UKBA and outline the circumstances and reasons why a recognized refugee was seeking to renew their passport. If significant or compelling reasons existed the UKBA would write back to confirm that it wouldn't cause the refugee any difficulty and they would not fall foul of Article 1(C).

The Canadian case law below is all taken from the IRB website. Read the case of Chandrakumar at the very bottom of the post.

RE-AVAILMENT OF PROTECTION
Return to the country of nationality is the kind of re-availment that is most often discussed in the case law. Citing several cases in Kabengele, Mr. Justice Rouleau stated:

It is quite proper for the Refugee Division to take the plaintiff's actions into account in assessing his subjective fear. It is reasonable for it to conclude that the fact he returned to the country where he feared persecution makes the existence of such a fear unlikely (citations omitted)
However, the Court has cautioned that the mere fact of returning to a country of nationality is not determinative of whether a refugee claimant possesses a subjective fear. The Court gave the examples of evidence of a claimant's belief that country conditions have changed or evidence of a claimant's temporary visit while he or she remained in hiding, that would be evidence inconsistent with a finding of a lack of subjective fear.100

The credibility assessment of the reasons claimants give for returning to their country is vitally important. If they clearly state that they did not intend to re-avail themselves of the protection of their country and assert not having lost their subjective fear, absent an adverse finding of credibility, the Board would err in finding that the claimants had re-availed themselves of protection and did not have a subjective fear.101 In Kanji, the Board made no express finding that it disbelieved the claimant's evidence and it gave no reasons for doing so. The Court held that the claimant's clear statement that she did not re-avail herself of the protection of India, nor lose her subjective fear contradicted and negated any possible finding to the contrary on the basis of the purely circumstantial evidence of her returns to India.

In Caballero, where the claimant testified that he went back to Honduras intending to stay a year in order to sell his land, the Court agreed with the Refugee Division that his behaviour was inconsistent with a well-founded fear of persecution.

Even where the motivation for returning may be seen as quite compelling, a consideration of all the circumstances may result in a negative inference as to the existence of subjective fear. In Arayo, the principal claimant had returned to Chile and remained there for some nine weeks while she obtained the permission of the father of her child to remove the child from Chile. While the evidence regarding re-availment clearly indicated that it was for the sole purpose of allowing the mother to bring her son to Canada with her, the evidence did not go so far as to establish that other arrangements could not have been made so that the two claimants could have left Chile together when the mother first left.

Re-availment of the protection of one's country, in addition to physically returning there, can also include actions such as obtaining or renewing a passport or travel document, and leaving or emigrating through lawful channels. The same considerations apply to these forms of re-availment too. The surrounding circumstances and the credibility of the claimant's explanations determine whether it can reasonably be concluded that they indicate the absence of the subjective component of a well-founded fear of persecution.

In Vaitialingam, although the claimant argued that she did not intend to remain in Sri Lanka, the Court was satisfied that it was reasonable for the Board to conclude that the claimant did not harbour a genuine fear of persecution in Sri Lanka because she had voluntarily made two trips back to her country. The Board also considered that the claimant's renewal of her Sri Lankan passport for the purpose of travelling there indicated her willingness to entrust her welfare to the state of Sri Lanka.

In Chandrakumar, the Court held that Board erred in drawing the inference that the applicant re-availed himself of his country's protection from the mere fact that he renewed his passport. More evidence was required, particularly concerning the claimant's motivations in renewing his passport, namely whether his intention was to re-avail himself of Sri Lanka's protection.

May 21, 2013
hi sevanb
i have same like your question i am pakistani passport holder with canadian pr card i want to travel third country expect to home countrycan i use my
home country passport for travel and renew? if you got any info plz share with me thank

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zunaira zaheer said:
As I replied earlier:

Leon said:
I haven't seen this new law myself but I can only assume that the grounding for it would be that when applying as a refugee, you are expected to sever ties with the country you are fleeing from. Taking up normal relations with the country that you are fleeing from, such as going to their consulate to apply for their passport may be interpreted to mean that you no longer need refugee status.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Any time you use your passport to enter a country, you are entering that country as a citizen of that countries passport and if should something happen while you are there you are going to get assistance from the embassy of the country holding your passport. THAT is why you should not use your home countries passport if you fled as a refugee from that country. Just to skip the need of a visa is a very poor excuse to want to get another passport from the country you fled from. If CIC wanted you to travel using that passport and had no issues with it, don't you think they would've returned it to you at the end of your process for your own personal use?

Applying for and getting another passport from the home country should, in my opinion, if it's not already, be an absolute grounds for a refugee to loose their PR status in Canada. You can not flee a country claiming it is unsafe for you to live there and then pick and choose which 'perks' you should be able to avail yourself to because you want to travel. If you want to travel, then travel with the documents that CIC provided you with when they accepted your refugee claim and gave you asylum in this country. If you need a visa to do so, then get a visa and do it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The other aspect is that if you run into difficulties, it is to your country of citizenship that you will be returned, if you currently hold a valid passport, not Canada. Would a genuine refugee wish to risk that?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. CIC's duty is to offer on behalf of the Minister Canada's protection for somebody who has claimed that their life is in danger from their home country. Such protection is guaranteed on Canadian soil to all and when outside through the diplomatic conventions only for Citizens of Canada.

2. CIC's duty is not and has never been to make your travel easier or more convenient such that it fits in with your lifestyle choices. They already issue you a travel document. What PRs wanting to travel should do is complain to the government that is denying them the visa or re-apply addressing the concerns of that visa post. Why should CIC care that you were denied...its not their problem!

3. If you go ahead and use your national passport for its convenience then you shouldn't complain when CIC or rather the courts which in Canada will often examine all facts in detail and where there is a high degree of due process rightly bounce your PR (as per the same convenience to Canada as you so rightly desire). One of the key tenets of citizenship is the acquisition of the country's passport...if you really have issues at home why should you be using their passport and why even apply or renew it? If its renewed let's face it you are not in their person of interest list really arr you??