+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About the intent clause

jordan1992

Dec 4, 2015
I'll be eligible to apply for citizenship around January. However, I do have a strong intent to move to US or Hongkong in about four years(after I finish graduate school). Should I really wait for Bill C6 to scrap the intent clause and then apply? Or It will apply retroactively? I have been waiting for this for too long...

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
jordan1992 said:
I'll be eligible to apply for citizenship around January. However, I do have a strong intent to move to US or Hongkong in about four years(after I finish graduate school). Should I really wait for Bill C6 to scrap the intent clause and then apply? Or It will apply retroactively? I have been waiting for this for too long...
Go ahead and apply in January. Yes your intentions should be staying in Canada while your application is being approved. But in 4 years time, no one will ask or say anything. Once you are a Canadian citizen you can come and go as you please.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The intent clause states that you must have the intent to reside in Canada for the forseeable future and that intent must be continuous from application to oath. Since you do not have that intent, under the letter of the law, you do not meet the requirements for Canadian citizenship. Now practically, nobody can know your intent unless you tell them and your intent can always change--so it is up to you if you want to go forward or not.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
links18 said:
Since you do not have that intent, under the letter of the law, you do not meet the requirements for Canadian citizenship.
He has the intention now, which is sufficient.

Once you are a citizen of this fine country, you can do whatever you want. The Charter of Rights and Freedom chapter 6:

protects the mobility rights of Canadian citizens which include the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada. Citizens and Permanent Residents have the ability to move to and take up residence in any province to pursue gaining livelihood.

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
Living abroad after receiving Canadian citizenship might become a problem at one point in the future... This clause was added by the previous Conservative government due to concerns about "citizenship of convenience"... that is receiving citizenship then moving abroad, not paying taxes in Canada, but coming back for healthcare procedures when needed... which is a very valid concern and completely unfair to us who keep living here and keep paying taxes (which allows healthcare - it is not free healthcare, it is paid for by taxpayers).

It sounds like OP does not have intent to live in Canada (already planning to leave in 4 years!).

This might become a problem one day when OP wants to return for the "free" healthcare... (remember governments change and access to healthcare might change)

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If I were you, if I meet the residency requirement, I would apply, just don't leave Canada for longer period of time before you become citizen!
Freedom of movement people!

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
Freedom of movement is not the same as leaving the country, not paying taxes and then returning to use the healthcare system...

citizenship of convenience should be blocked... if you don't pay into the healthcare system, you should not be eligible to use it

tarikMontreal

Mar 22, 2015
Panda_Bear said:
not paying taxes and then returning to use the healthcare system...
citizenship of convenience should be blocked... if you don't pay into the healthcare system, you should not be eligible to use it
then I will make you sign an intent to never leave Canada specially if you were born here

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Panda_Bear said:
This might become a problem one day when OP wants to return for the "free" healthcare... (remember governments change and access to healthcare might change)
There is no such as free healthcare. Secondly, once a person lives in the province for less than 6 months, the person ceases to be covered by the MSP as per B.C. I am sure other provinces too have something similar.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Panda_Bear said:
Freedom of movement is not the same as leaving the country, not paying taxes and then returning to use the healthcare system...

You are confused..once you have citizenship you can move freely everywhere. Even if you lived in Canada only during PR and citizenship application, you paid into the system. Yes, I agree, just getting citizenship for convenience reasons is a moral and ethic dilemma, but not illegal if citizenship is acquired proper and not fraudulently.

Should one come back after years of absences as a citizen, see here:

How do I resume my health care coverage when returning to Canada following a lengthy absence?

A three-month waiting period is usually applied before coverage is reinstated. For information on requirements and conditions for reinstating health insurance coverage, contact the Ministry of Health of the province or territory to which you intend to return.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/medi-assur/faq-eng.php#a11

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
foodie69 said:
He has the intention now, which is sufficient.

Once you are a citizen of this fine country, you can do whatever you want. The Charter of Rights and Freedom chapter 6:

protects the mobility rights of Canadian citizens which include the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada. Citizens and Permanent Residents have the ability to move to and take up residence in any province to pursue gaining livelihood.
Read his post again. He does not have the intent. The intent is to reside in Canada after getting citizenship and he has to maintain that intent up to the oath and it must be continuous. He already states he has a strong intent not to live in Canada in the future. He lacks the requisite intent.

andykumar

Dec 31, 2016
links18 said:
Read his post again. He does not have the intent. The intent is to reside in Canada after getting citizenship and he has to maintain that intent up to the oath and it must be continuous. He already states he has a strong intent not to live in Canada in the future. He lacks the requisite intent.
What!?

OP said the s/he will move out in 4 years. I'm sure oath will be given in way less time than that, intent to reside during application is sufficient.

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
andykumar said:
What!?

OP said the s/he will move out in 4 years. I'm sure oath will be given in way less time than that, intent to reside during application is sufficient.
OP clearly does not have intent to live in Canada... OP sounds like example for citizenship of convenience... sad.

research-scientist

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't keep your hope high. Trump might throw away NAFTA.
jordan1992 said: