+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About the decision letter not reaching me

SilentHill

Dec 3, 2020
Hello to everyone.

I applied for asylum in January 2020. We sent all the documents through my lawyer. In October, my lawyer told me I had a chance to go without a hearing. Some additional documents were requested and a deadline was given until November 13th. We sent them all on November 11 and on November 20 I received a letter to my lawyer that my application was accepted. The decision to the lawyer was sent online on the My Case portal. Today, 38 days have passed since the decision and I haven't received a letter yet. I called IRCC twice and they said they sent me the decision letter.

I would like you to answer my two questions.

Could it have not reached me because the decision was canceled?

1) I know from the decision that the state official has 15 days to file an appeal. In my case, is the 15-day period calculated from the date of November 20, when the decision was made, or from the date the letter was received by me?

2) Can I apply for a health card and permanent residence by letter sent to a lawyer? Or I have to wait for my letter to be sent to my home.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
you need the decision letter to apply for pr. and i think it starts the day you receive the letter. but your lawyer can request another one stating you have not received it.

Refugeeinquiry

Dec 4, 2020
Hello to everyone.

I applied for asylum in January 2020. We sent all the documents through my lawyer. In October, my lawyer told me I had a chance to go without a hearing. Some additional documents were requested and a deadline was given until November 13th. We sent them all on November 11 and on November 20 I received a letter to my lawyer that my application was accepted. The decision to the lawyer was sent online on the My Case portal. Today, 38 days have passed since the decision and I haven't received a letter yet. I called IRCC twice and they said they sent me the decision letter.

1) I know from the decision that the state official has 15 days to file an appeal. In my case, is the 15-day period calculated from the date of November 20, when the decision was made, or from the date the letter was received by me?

2) Can I apply for a health card and permanent residence by letter sent to a lawyer? Or I have to wait for my letter to be sent to my home.
Due to holidays and delays it might be affecting your letter. However, The decision is already made so you might be receiving the letter soon. However, it might be right to call the refugee protection division rather than IRCC. IRCC deals with permanent residence other immigration processes. You cannot get any information from IRCC until you receive your acceptance letter from Refugee protection division. You have already received the decision through the My case portal. You do not need to worry about the appeal just contact your refugee protection division for the letter. Why don;t you get a legal suggestion from your lawyer he might have a better idea.

Which province did you apply your refugee protection claim? Which country are you from are you listed in the less complex cases country?

Last edited:

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hello to everyone.

There is another option:

You lawyer may have received decision letter from IRB. If you lawyer received the letter ask original lawyer's copy.

Similar thing happened to me and I asked my lawyer to send the copy in his hand.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
There is another option:

You lawyer may have received decision letter from IRB. If you lawyer received the letter ask original lawyer's copy.

Similar thing happened to me and I asked my lawyer to send the copy in his hand.
I think they are saying that their decision was online in the portal and not a paper mail and that the lawyer emailed them to inform them that the claim was accepted. so hence asking if need the actual paper decision letter to apply for pr and health card.
you either wait or ask your lawyer to contact them regarding getting a replacement. maybe you can contact IRB yourself.

SilentHill

Dec 3, 2020
Due to holidays and delays it might be affecting your letter. However, The decision is already made so you might be receiving the letter soon. However, it might be right to call the refugee protection division rather than IRCC. IRCC deals with permanent residence other immigration processes. You cannot get any information from IRCC until you receive your acceptance letter from Refugee protection division. You have already received the decision through the My case portal. You do not need to worry about the appeal just contact your refugee protection division for the letter. Why don;t you get a legal suggestion from your lawyer he might have a better idea.

Which province did you apply your refugee protection claim? Which country are you from are you listed in the less complex cases country?
Thank you for your answer . I am 32 years old and live in Toronto. I made my application from Ontario. I am citizen of Turkey.

SilentHill

Dec 3, 2020
I think they are saying that their decision was online in the portal and not a paper mail and that the lawyer emailed them to inform them that the claim was accepted. so hence asking if need the actual paper decision letter to apply for pr and health card.
you either wait or ask your lawyer to contact them regarding getting a replacement. maybe you can contact IRB yourself.
Unfortunately, the letter sent to the lawyer does not have a stamp. Today I looked at a friend's acceptance letter and his letter had a blue stamp. As far as I understand I have no choice but to wait

SilentHill

Dec 3, 2020

In such cases, what do you think is the probability that the decision will be canceled later?

Refugeeinquiry

Dec 4, 2020
In such cases, what do you think is the probability that the decision will be canceled later?
Until you receive a letter from Irb it is very difficult to say. Why don’t you contact the refugee protection division about your case. They might have a better idea about your case. Your lawyer might be able to inquiry on your behalf. Also one more question did you summit your documents through Epost.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Your lawyer needs to request an amended letter with the necessary corrections. mine had my name spelled incorrectly and the date of acceptance messed up. Because it needs the stamp on it anyway to use it. so your lawyer has to contact them. when you do get it always keep both. both my letters took a month but this was by mail. not sure how the process goes with covid.
Unfortunately, the letter sent to the lawyer does not have a stamp. Today I looked at a friend's acceptance letter and his letter had a blue stamp. As far as I understand I have no choice but to wait

Last edited:

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
and the minister cannot change his mind about the decision after the 15 days time frame since your claim has been accepted. so if it's been since 2 weeks since your positive decision you are all good. unless you voluntarily revoke protected person status or do any of these.
  1. Renewing a passport from your home country
  2. Using a passport from your home country to travel to another country
  3. Entering your home country

SilentHill

Dec 3, 2020
and the minister cannot change his mind about the decision after the 15 days time frame since your claim has been accepted. so if it's been since 2 weeks since your positive decision you are all good. unless you voluntarily revoke protected person status or do any of these.
  1. Renewing a passport from your home country
  2. Using a passport from your home country to travel to another country
  3. Entering your home country
Can I return to my country after becoming a Canadian citizen one day? (By visa)

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Can I return to my country after becoming a Canadian citizen one day? (By visa)
you can as a citizen. you will no longer hold the protected person title only Canadian citizen so would be free to travel wherever you want to and can. as long as it's safe to. they can't hold it against you. I know some people who have gone back to their birth country.

SilentHill

Dec 3, 2020
you can as a citizen. you will no longer hold the protected person title only Canadian citizen so would be free to travel wherever you want to and can. as long as it's safe to. they can't hold it against you. I know some people who have gone back to their birth country.
Yes, in the place where I worked, some Sir Lankan returned to their countries after citizenship. Some people said that such a return could even lead to the revocation of citizenship. Do you think the state has a clear law regarding the prohibition of a refugee returning to her country after citizenship?

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Yes, in the place where I worked, some Sir Lankan returned to their countries after citizenship. Some people said that such a return could even lead to the revocation of citizenship. Do you think the state has a clear law regarding the prohibition of a refugee returning to her country after citizenship?
not that i know of. i know people have gone back to their home country multiple times after citizenship even yearly. cause you are no longer called a refugee or protected person but now a Canadian and free to do as other Canadians do. these are the only ground i know of to lose citizenship
Canadian law allows for revocation in certain circumstances. Subsections 10(1) and 10.1(1) of the Citizenship Act provide that a person’s citizenship or renunciation of citizenship may be revoked if the person obtains, retains, renounces, or resumes citizenship by

• false representation;
  • fraud; or
  • knowingly concealing material circumstances.
Citizenship may also be revoked if a person (who is a dual citizen), before or after the coming into force of subsections 10(2) and 10.1(2) and while the person was a Canadian citizen,

• was convicted of terrorism, high treason, treason, or spying offences, depending on the sentence received; or
  • served as a member of an armed force of a country or as a member of an organized armed group and that country or group was engaged in armed conflict with Canada.