+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About staying requirement after getting PR (Immigration prison)

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Hi everyone

If I, for example, get PR, say, in August this year:

1) Will there be any deadline before which I must land in Canada?

2) After landing in Canada, can I work abroad (e.g. UK, US, Germany etc)?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone

Thanks
Immigration prison? Feel free not to immigrate if you don't actually plan to live here.

1. COPR is generally valid for one year from the date of the medical.

2. Sure.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone

Thanks
1) Yes - there will be a deadline. Typically a year out from the date of your medical.
2) Yes - however you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to maintain your PR status.

If you feel this is immigration prison, not sure why you are even bothering immigrating to Canada.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Immigration prison? Feel free not to immigrate if you don't actually plan to live here.

1. COPR is generally valid for one year from the date of the medical.

2. Sure.
Thanks

1) What is COPR? did you mean I must land in within 1 year after getting medical exam?

2) I can work abroad even in the first year getting my PR?

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
1) Yes - there will be a deadline. Typically a year out from the date of your medical.
2) Yes - however you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to maintain your PR status.

If you feel this is immigration prison, not sure why you are even bothering immigrating to Canada.
Thanks! I am now very clear about the requirement

Indeed, the term "prison" is just an analogy to describe that someone is forced to stay in Canada after immigration, this does not necessarily mean not willing to live in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks! I am now very clear about the requirement

Indeed, the term "prison" is just an analogy to describe that someone is forced to stay in Canada after immigration, this does not necessarily mean not willing to live in Canada.
Not a correct analogy. No one is going to force you to stay in Canada. You are free to leave.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
As others have mentioned, why bother in the first place if you don't want to come here to live.. I give you another analogy: Would a vegetarian eat at a Steakhouse?

Reactions: mamgain

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks

1) What is COPR? did you mean I must land in within 1 year after getting medical exam?

2) I can work abroad even in the first year getting my PR?
In the initial 5 years from landing a new immigrant must accumulate a minimum of 730 days in Canada in order to meet their residency obligation. In effect a new immigrant after landing in Canada could then return to stay in their home country or any other country for near 3 years before returning after which they would need to stay put for 2 years without leaving at all. After initial 5 years this becomes a rolling 5 year period assessed at each new entry into the country.

So the reality is that Canada has a pretty flexible requirement for new immigrants that allows them to if necessary transition their move over a few years. In return all Canada asks is that someone commits to meet the 2 year residency obligation in any 5 year period. Most new immigrants are only too pleased to meet this requirement given their ultimate goal is to apply for citizenship in the country they have decided to call home. Granted it can be difficult for some where international travel is part of their job but even then people make adjustments/sacrifices for their ultimate goal.

Reactions: dpenabill