+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About spouse sponsor

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hello, I have a few doubts about extension and sponsorship that I cant seem to clarify. I'm currently residing in Canada under a TRV, which entry expires in about 7 weeks. I recently got married here in Canada to my canadian fiance. It was kinda late as you see and is gonna take even longer to get the marriage certificate needed for sponsor.

So, I need to apply for an extension. I have a few questions about it.

Once I apply for the extension, should we wait till I get the answer to start the residency/sponsor process? Or can I do both once I receive our marriage certificate , tho I guess is better to wait.

What should I pick when asked how long i plan to stay? I can't pick permanently for visitor extension I know, but should I put less than 6 months or more than 6 months, would that affect anything?

Another thing is when doing the checklist for extension , it asked me if I would be interested in doing certain jobs (which was weird but I guess its cause I picked the married option) and it gave me a list of them, for which I would have to do a medical exam, if I said yes. I'm not sure what to pick here, because once we're applying for sponsorship , I understand I can ask for an open work permit at the same time, and I guess I'd have to provide a medical exam at this point anyway?

And last, tho I've read people get married on visitor visa and then apply for sponsorship, I'm not sure how viable it is? We would just very much not want to do outland process as distance is rough on us

Thank you so much for any clarification on this, sorry for any mistakes

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Hello, I have a few doubts about extension and sponsorship that I cant seem to clarify. I'm currently residing in Canada under a TRV, which entry expires in about 7 weeks. I recently got married here in Canada to my canadian fiance. It was kinda late as you see and is gonna take even longer to get the marriage certificate needed for sponsor.

Once I apply for the extension, should we wait till I get the answer to start the residency/sponsor process? Or can I do both once I receive our marriage certificate , tho I guess is better to wait.

What should I pick when asked how long i plan to stay? I can't pick permanently for visitor extension I know, but should I put less than 6 months or more than 6 months, would that affect anything?

Another thing is when doing the checklist for extension , it asked me if I would be interested in doing certain jobs (which was weird but I guess its cause I picked the married option) and it gave me a list of them, for which I would have to do a medical exam, if I said yes. I'm not sure what to pick here, because once we're applying for sponsorship , I understand I can ask for an open work permit at the same time, and I guess I'd have to provide a medical exam at this point anyway?

And last, tho I've read people get married on visitor visa and then apply for sponsorship, I'm not sure how viable it is? We would just very much not want to do outland process as distance is rough on us

You can apply for the Inland sponsorship and if you apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time you will be under implied status so you wont have to worry about your status until they make a decision.

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hi thanks for replying, the thing is my status expires on September 29th and our marriage certificate probably won't be ready by then, which we need for sponsor right? I was told to apply for an extension first till I get that certificate now I'm more confused

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should apply to extend your visitor status. Until you have received AOR your application could be returned for things like a missing signature. You need to have status to qualify for a work permit at the 4 month mark.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Apply for the visitor status extension and when you get your marriage certificate send in your spousal sponsorship and work permit. You should be able to extend your status online with no problem.

I would select a year. Waiting for sponsorship would be your reason.

The medical exam has to do with working with young children, patients and the elderly who are more vulnerable populations. You need to pass the medical but communicable diseases are what they are looking for in this scenario because catching something would be much more serious for these populations.

Didn’t you just get married while you were a visitor? No it isn’t uncommon. You just need to make sure you remain in Canada. A 2-3 week vacation seems to be tolerated but wouldn’t cross the border regularly.

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Apply for the visitor status extension and when you get your marriage certificate send in your spousal sponsorship and work permit. You should be able to extend your status online with no problem.

I would select a year. Waiting for sponsorship would be your reason.

The medical exam has to do with working with young children, patients and the elderly who are more vulnerable populations. You need to pass the medical but communicable diseases are what they are looking for in this scenario because catching something would be much more serious for these populations.

Didn’t you just get married while you were a visitor? No it isn’t uncommon. You just need to make sure you remain in Canada. A 2-3 week vacation seems to be tolerated but wouldn’t cross the border regularly.

Thanks a lot I will do that, if we get a year extension I'll be much more at ease. Thanks again