+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About Spouse Open Work Permit

daniel059

Jan 25, 2024
Ottawa
I'd like to ask everyone about applying for a spousal work permit in Canada as a tourist. Is it possible to leave the country while waiting for the application to be processed?
  1. I've seen some people say that there's a chance of being rejected if it's discovered that you're not in Canada when the visa is being issued. My plan is to apply for the spousal work permit within Canada and then return to France in August. As the OWP inside Canada is not going to give a physical sticker, could I just have the visa mailed to a Canadian address and then enter Canada with a tourist visa?
  2. If I'm in Canada in June and return to France in August, can I apply for a spousal work permit for Canada from France in June? This is because France stamps passports upon entry and exit, but Canada might not. If the visa is issued in France, would there be a risk of rejection due to not being in France at the time of application in June?
  3. The other option is to go to the American-Canada border like Peace Bridge to get the OWP. Is it safe and practical to do so?
Since there are few cases like this, I'm earnestly seeking advice from those with experience!

Last edited:

daniel059

Jan 25, 2024
Ottawa
The idea of your passport being in international mail should be enough of a deterrent to the first idea.
I have known that if the OWP is issued inside Canada they will send the Work Permit to the address in Canada and will not issue a sticker on the passport. The only problem is if it is problematic to enter Canada with a visitor visa after the Work permit is issued and sent home.