+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About processing time of spouse open work permit

jasveen13

Mar 7, 2020
Hi
I am an international student in ontario, my husband had applied for spouse open work permit on Dec 03,2019. Now its been more than 3 months still we have not got any update from immigration agency about application process . The application status is same from past 3 months.
can anybody tell me that canI contact IRCC by phone and asking for the delay of decision, is there any negative impact of that ?
The decision for every application of spouse work permit is made within a month, no application takes more than that, why our application is taking too long time ?
also, I am pregnant and due in may, and I strongly need my husband’s support here in Canada.
If someone could suggest anything then please let me know
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I am an international student in ontario, my husband had applied for spouse open work permit on Dec 03,2019. Now its been more than 3 months still we have not got any update from immigration agency about application process . The application status is same from past 3 months.
can anybody tell me that canI contact IRCC by phone and asking for the delay of decision, is there any negative impact of that ?
The decision for every application of spouse work permit is made within a month, no application takes more than that, why our application is taking too long time ?
also, I am pregnant and due in may, and I strongly need my husband’s support here in Canada.
If someone could suggest anything then please let me know
Thanks
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

You can check the processing times but SOWP often take 4-5 months if applied from many countries. When does your studies end? SOWP aren’t usually given if there is 6 months of less left in the program. In general SOWP are not guaranteed for spouses of international student so you will have to make plans if your husband is not granted an SOWP. You can call CIC if you are the representative on the file or send a webform question.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html

jasveen13

Mar 7, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

You can check the processing times but SOWP often take 4-5 months if applied from many countries. When does your studies end? SOWP aren’t usually given if there is 6 months of less left in the program. In general SOWP are not guaranteed for spouses of international student so you will have to make plans if your husband is not granted an SOWP. You can call CIC if you are the representative on the file or send a webform question.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html
Hi
I do not understand the word representative as ??
my husband applied for his application through an agent, so agent is his representative ??
And my second semester will end in april and for 3rd semester, my college have given me leave and i will continue for 3rd semester in september and my study visa is valid till november 31, 2020.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I do not understand the word representative as ??
my husband applied for his application through an agent, so agent is his representative ??
And my second semester will end in april and for 3rd semester, my college have given me leave and i will continue for 3rd semester in september and my study visa is valid till november 31, 2020.
Yes the agent likely indicated that they are the representative so they would have to contact CIC. Your husband can attempt to send in a webform. Hard to say how the fact that you only essentially have one semester left to study and around 6 weeks left on this semester will impact your application. In general SOWP aren’t guaranteed for spouses of international students. There are many people who are denied but also some are approved so it is hard to predict what will happen in your case. You will have to wait and see but must have a plan B in case he is denied an SOWP or it does not arrive before the birth. You also have to make payment arrangements if you are going to give birth in Canada. If you decide you want to return home to give birth most airlines prevent flying after 35-36 weeks so you have to make up your mind quite quickly.

jasveen13

Mar 7, 2020
Yes the agent likely indicated that they are the representative so they would have to contact CIC. Your husband can attempt to send in a webform. Hard to say how the fact that you only essentially have one semester left to study and around 6 weeks left on this semester will impact your application. In general SOWP aren’t guaranteed for spouses of international students. There are many people who are denied but also some are approved so it is hard to predict what will happen in your case. You will have to wait and see but must have a plan B in case he is denied an SOWP or it does not arrive before the birth. You also have to make payment arrangements if you are going to give birth in Canada. If you decide you want to return home to give birth most airlines prevent flying after 35-36 weeks so you have to make up your mind quite quickly.
Can the agent appeal for the decision from CIC ??
and by filling out web form, do they update anything ??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can the agent appeal for the decision from CIC ??
and by filling out web form, do they update anything ??
Your husband hasn’t even received an answer yet. I guess you can ask for reconsideration if there was something missed but in general you have to reapply. Sending a webform will only likely get you an answer that they are still processing your application but worth a try to ask what point he is in the application process. Answers can take up to a few weeks. Processing time calculator should give you an estimate of the processing times.