+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About CBSA boarder questions

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Hey there

I've been watching boarders security canada's front line for some time and many of the cbsa some times being mean or not believing a situation, i applied for student visa for a bachelor degree of 3 years of study now i want to change the program to 1 year graduate study
Wanted to ask you guys if they might deny my entry to canada, that i was expected to get 3 years of study and now i'm showing acceptance letter
of 1 year? and based on travellers experience what questions are you guys being asked on boarder first entry

i still have the 3 years acceptance letter i was thinking to show it on boarder but they might find it out as a lie since my real study is in a different city

Please advise

Thanks

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will be better to go with the one ur going to really pursue and forget abt the other.

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
propain said:
It will be better to go with the one ur going to really pursue and forget abt the other.
Thanks for your reply, the thing is i applied for student visa on a bachelor 4 years program and now my real study program is only 1 year i'm afraid they might deny my entry or think i'm not going to study at all i've been seeing they hardly believe any thing...

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
U can inform cic about this before hand to be truthful.

Earlier informing them was not mandatory but effective this june onwards it is becoming mandatory.

Cheers

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
propain said:
U can inform cic about this before hand to be truthful.

Earlier informing them was not mandatory but effective this june onwards it is becoming mandatory.

Cheers
You mean informing on boarder my real study what is it going to be ? is it new information please provide the link another thing i thought that 1 year of study they wouldn't allow me to the country what do you think is going to happen?

Thanks

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
My situation was similar to yours. I changed the university after i got the visa, but it was the same degree. Also, I informed the Canadian embassy in my country about it before I go to Canada.

When I showed the immigration officer my new admission letter, he asked me if I have been admitted to another university before. I said yes and explained my situation to him. and that's it! wasn't hard at all!!

Just don't lie and good luck!

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
SSHanna said:
My situation was similar to yours. I changed the university after i got the visa, but it was the same degree. Also, I informed the Canadian embassy in my country about it before I go to Canada.

When I showed the immigration officer my new admission letter, he asked me if I have been admitted to another university before. I said yes and explained my situation to him. and that's it! wasn't hard at all!!

Just don't lie and good luck!
Hey there thanks for respond , at the time you showed at the airport have you had your first semeseter fees paid?
and what do you think about the change from bachelor to grad certificate

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
selimulated said:
Hey there thanks for respond , at the time you showed at the airport have you had your first semeseter fees paid?
and what do you think about the change from bachelor to grad certificate
No I didn't have my first semester fees paid at that time. I think I paid some of the fees online..but not all of it!

Actually, I don't know much about changing from bachelor to grad certificate (I am undergrad), but I'd say.. you should ask the Canadian embassy in your country about your situation.

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
hell911 said:
This. Whatever is your situation, just DON'T lie.
for me i don't wanna lie, but imagining the situation that i might be denied for entry of canada makes me really want to insure my situation to make it work

SSHanna said:
No I didn't have my first semester fees paid at that time. I think I paid some of the fees online..but not all of it!

Actually, I don't know much about changing from bachelor to grad certificate (I am undergrad), but I'd say.. you should ask the Canadian embassy in your country about your situation.
I contacted the embassy they said i need to show an acceptance allowing me to register a year later, " i don't know whether they mean another acceptance for the same program or it can be any program "

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
selimulated said:
for me i don't wanna lie, but imagining the situation that i might be denied for entry of canada makes me really want to insure my situation to make it work

I contacted the embassy they said i need to show an acceptance allowing me to register a year later, " i don't know whether they mean another acceptance for the same program or it can be any program "
I am not sure what this means..

You can ask the embassy to elaborate more. Your main source of information should be the embassy or cic.

selimulated

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
SSHanna said:
I am not sure what this means..

You can ask the embassy to elaborate more. Your main source of information should be the embassy or cic.
Thanks for respond spartacus, i have a question if i have the visa stamp on my passport for 4 years and lets say the study permit issued on the border was for 1 year, i can i remain in canada with visa stamp on passport or it gets automatically disabled and i have to stick to study permit paper?

dok

Apr 20, 2014
selimulated said:
Thanks for respond spartacus, i have a question if i have the visa stamp on my passport for 4 years and lets say the study permit issued on the border was for 1 year, i can i remain in canada with visa stamp on passport or it gets automatically disabled and i have to stick to study permit paper?
Hello Selimulated, to make everything short:
- First, no lies please!!!

- I read you've have informed the Canadian embassy where you obtained your visa. This is the first step to the right direct. To the best of my knowledge, the embassy's response means that if you arrive at the Canadian Point of Entry without evidence of acceptance to another program after you complete your 1 year PGD, then your study permit will be 1 year, but not as previously approved - 4 years.

- Now make sure you meet the requirement of your new university: that's you have money to pay for fees and living expenses for the 1 year post grad diploma.

- When you arrive at the Canadian POE, the officer will ask for your acceptance letter and proof of finance. Your study permit will be issued based on the letter (s) of acceptance you have. So if your acceptance letter is for 1 year PGD, the study permit will be also one year, but it can be renewed if you continue your studies.
Please not that: the 4 years temporary residence visa stamp in your passport is not a permit giving you the right to remain in Canada. It's only an entry visa and you must leave Canada as soon as your study permit expires (from June 1st within 90days following the completion of your program). With the visa stamp still valid, you may apply for study permit whereever you're to still enter Canada. So practically, if you don't want to continue studying in Canada, then the visa in your passport is useless.

Good luck!!