Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi All,
I recently received Canadian Permanent Residence (in October 2016) under Express Entry program. I did not need any provincial nomination for getting the ITA (invitation to apply). Now that I have received the PR (without any provincial nomination), am I eligible to work in Quebec?

Sorry if this seems to be a very common question and has been discussed over in previous threads - I just thought it would be easier this way as I was not able to come up with the right keywords to search for this exact question or discussion.

Thanks a ton guys!

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
APPNOV2014NY said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_6_of_the_Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms
Hi APPNOV2014NY, thank you for a quick response!!
I started reading the link and here is what I could comprehend:
(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

As per this, I should be able to work in Quebec. However, I wasnt able to fully understand what this meant:
(3) The rights specified in subsection (2) are subject to
a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis of province of present or previous residence; and
b) any laws providing for reasonable residency requirements as a qualification for the receipt of publicly provided social services.
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration in a province of conditions of individuals in that province who are socially or economically disadvantaged if the rate of employment in that province is below the rate of employment in Canada.

With that said, is there any law in Quebec that requires me to be eligible to work and live in Quebec (in addition to me being a Canadian permanent resident)?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
yodheydhara said:
With that said, is there any law in Quebec that requires me to be eligible to work and live in Quebec (in addition to me being a Canadian permanent resident)?
I am not aware of any law that prohibits a Canadian PR from working in Quebec.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
APPNOV2014NY said:
I am not aware of any law that prohibits a Canadian PR from working in Quebec.
Ok, thank you buddy, this is really helpful! :)

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi yodheydhara, I am in the same situation. Did you start working in Quebec? Or any more update on your question?
Hi aajains, as per the earlier posts from our fellow discussion board members, I believe you are eligible to work in any province once you are a PR. However, in my case, I have moved to Ontario for now.

Bhuvanesh S

Feb 6, 2020
Hi yodheydhara, I am in the same situation. Did you start working in Quebec? Or any more update on your question?

I am in the same situation too, staying in Toronto. Have got a job offer in Montreal,QC.

I have the following question in my mind, appreciate if someone can clear it for me.

1. If I take up the job and move to Montreal will I be covered under Quebec health care.
2. Being a Express Entry PR holder can I stay in Quebec for 3 years and apply for canadian citizenship (considering Quebec is not participating in Express entry program)
3. Can I put my kid in a English public school in Montreal(as both of us parents do not know French).

Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same situation too, staying in Toronto. Have got a job offer in Montreal,QC.

I have the following question in my mind, appreciate if someone can clear it for me.

1. If I take up the job and move to Montreal will I be covered under Quebec health care.
2. Being a Express Entry PR holder can I stay in Quebec for 3 years and apply for canadian citizenship (considering Quebec is not participating in Express entry program)
3. Can I put my kid in a English public school in Montreal(as both of us parents do not know French).

Thanks in advance
1. yes after 3 months. Ohip will cover the first 3 months. If you have recently landed you wouldn’t qualify for ohip if you move now and can reapply for RAMQ. Please read about residency obligations to receive healthcare.
2. Yes
3. No they must go to a French school if they go to public school.

Stefay

Jan 8, 2021
1. yes after 3 months. Ohip will cover the first 3 months. If you have recently landed you wouldn’t qualify for ohip if you move now and can reapply for RAMQ. Please read about residency obligations to receive healthcare.
2. Yes
3. No they must go to a French school if they go to public school.
About point 2 :

You replyed YES. How can we be sure ?