+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Abandonment of Citizenship Application

Joe 123

May 28, 2015
Dear All,
I am writing this letter while I’m under complete shock;
I Applied to Citizenship by end 2008; I got a residence Questionnaire by end 2010; I have been asked to do the Citizenship Test in 2014! I did and passed it.
I was out of town for Christmas and New Year in December 2014, when came back I found a letter from CIC asking for a very long list of documents with 30 days’ notice! I phoned CIC and informed them that 5 years ago I received an RQ and that there could be something wrong because some of the newly requested documents are already in my file, so they asked me to send the same to CIC in writing, I did so, but I received a reply of FINAL NOTICE!!! Insisting on receiving the same documents, I replied asking for more time, they replied allowing 2 more months, I sent all the requested documents as soon as I received them.
Just yesterday I received a letter of “Abandonment of Citizenship Application” stating that I did not provide the additional information by the date specified by CIC and that the decision maker is not satisfied that the excuse I provided for late documents is reasonable.
Nobody in the world can understand my feeling; I spent all my life waiting for CIC to reply, I couldn’t plan anything well in my life cause of CIC inefficiency.
I applied to immigration in 1999 and got the visa in 2004; I applied to citizenship in2008 and got rejected in 2015! Because they consider that I was late! in submitting the documents, They have no value for our lives and for our time, for six years I called CIC hundreds of times begging them to please reply, and at the end they closed the file because I am late!!!
I was late cause had to collect the documents from many ministries in Canada and out of Canada, I was late cause the health Ministry was late, cause the CBSA was late, cause the CRA was late, cause the translator for the passports who took a fortune was late, cause the authorities who issue the an Exit Entry Report abroad were late including all the stamps and translations, cause my previous Employers were late, We are talking about documents 10 years old!
What do I have to do?

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
I can only start by saying I am sorry for your experience, I would suggest as Bambino said to get an immigration lawyer you can still apply given you applied first all the way back in 08 so the new 4/6 rule should not impact you and a lawyer and give you necessary legal advice each step of the way.

janoo

May 16, 2014
My humble advise do not involve any law firm at this stage and waste money first
and foremost task to re apply immediately without wasting any more time, attached
all the documents copy which you have to avoid any RQ and than keep chasing
the old application and inform them that you have already submitted all documents
and waited for six years.

Important that you apply asap before too late and new rule come, but in my opinion
new rule will also give you no harm ??? may be give you comfort ??

check all possibility but GOD shake do not waste your money in law firm they can not

do just collect money and ask you to collect all documents and forward to CIC
or you in the possition to file a case in federal court where you need approx 5 K.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Joe 123 said:
Dear All,
I am writing this letter while I'm under complete shock;
I Applied to Citizenship by end 2008; I got a residence Questionnaire by end 2010; I have been asked to do the Citizenship Test in 2014! I did and passed it.
I was out of town for Christmas and New Year in December 2014, when came back I found a letter from CIC asking for a very long list of documents with 30 days' notice!

So you got RQ in 2010 and test in 2014?? What happened in those 3-4 years? Most people would of done something, get MP, mandamus etc.

I understand citizenship is privilege that needs to be applied for and approved, but in no way should any applicants be treated like this! It's ironic they make people wait years then suddenly demand various documents in a couple of months. This makes me sick... :-\

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I agree with this. OP if you apply again right now, you have new lock in date for the new application and you don't have to chase ancient documents. You new application will probably be processed before your appeal of the old application.

And if you've staying in Canada all these years, it won't even matter for you if the new 4/6 residence law kicks in or not...

janoo said:
My humble advise do not involve any law firm at this stage and waste money first
and foremost task to re apply immediately without wasting any more time, attached
all the documents copy which you have to avoid any RQ and than keep chasing
the old application and inform them that you have already submitted all documents
and waited for six years.

Important that you apply asap before too late and new rule come, but in my opinion
new rule will also give you no harm ??? may be give you comfort ??

check all possibility but GOD shake do not waste your money in law firm they can not

do just collect money and ask you to collect all documents and forward to CIC
or you in the possition to file a case in federal court where you need approx 5 K.

Joe 123

May 28, 2015
Hi,

To all who wonders what I was doing in the past years;

in 100s of calls to CIC, the answer was to wait for 3 years after RQ, I didn't give up and didn't wait, I was acting all the time, I sent them many letters and many times went to the CIC office but they didn't let me in stating that I must wait for their mail, the MP office is having more than one thousand files for sponsorship, citizenship and other cases.

An experienced person once told me that the CIC staff don't do what they are supposed to do and they do what they are not supposed to do, this is 100% true.

The inefficiency of the CIC people turned the dream of the immigrants into a nightmare.

Just think how would a private company run if they have such officers ?

We are humans, we are families who have lives, we have the right to plan our lives, they are playing with the files according to their mood, these files are our lives.

when talking to the officer who interviewed me after the test, I was asking her to accelerate the process, she asked me to leave and wait, I insisted, she said that she can't give me more than 5 mins, I told her that I waited for 5 years, they absolutely don't want to understand, they don't care and don't bother.

We offered them our youth, the most important years of our lives, we have the right to plan our lives !!!!!!!

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Joe 123 said:
Hi,

To all who wonders what I was doing in the past years;

in 100s of calls to CIC, the answer was to wait for 3 years after RQ, I didn't give up and didn't wait, I was acting all the time, I sent them many letters and many times went to the CIC office but they didn't let me in stating that I must wait for their mail, the MP office is having more than one thousand files for sponsorship, citizenship and other cases.

An experienced person once told me that the CIC staff don't do what they are supposed to do and they do what they are not supposed to do, this is 100% true.

The inefficiency of the CIC people turned the dream of the immigrants into a nightmare.

Just think how would a private company run if they have such officers ?

We are humans, we are families who have lives, we have the right to plan our lives, they are playing with the files according to their mood, these files are our lives.

when talking to the officer who interviewed me after the test, I was asking her to accelerate the process, she asked me to leave and wait, I insisted, she said that she can't give me more than 5 mins, I told her that I waited for 5 years, they absolutely don't want to understand, they don't care and don't bother.

We offered them our youth, the most important years of our lives, we have the right to plan our lives !!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that, I would take my case to court with the help of a good lawyer...your timeline is crazy even for a non-routine application. Unless there is a big problem you're not sharing with us.

janoo

May 16, 2014
I have read complete story of yours best to re apply and than chase your first application
whatever come first take it and enjoy your rest of your life... some time we come across
certain circumstances where we are helpless. Just relax and take deep breath and start
submit application asap, now a days new application will not take more than 6 months
as per forum I can see...

Sorry for all : famous saying that you can control the hand which raise against you
but you cannot control the thinking and suffering from other people... am sure
you will win one day..

Joe 123

May 28, 2015
They are sending an RQ to any applicant whom they need more clarification, but that doesn't mean to lose our files cause the file should be in a queue or to forget them on the shelves, The big problem is their over delays to all the applicants, they are paid to serve us, and not to stress us, they are paid to solve the big problems and not to create the problems.
what ever the problem is, they can clarify it, asking you to wait for years and years doesn't solve any problem.

Joe 123

May 28, 2015
Many thanks for your replies and for your concerns.

IMPORTANT QUESTION TO ALL:

Can we send a new application while we are appealing for a previous application ?

I don't think you can apply again while the first file is still open, otherwise all the people who applied before 2012 must apply again and which ever comes first is good, I don't think that CIC allow it as this will increase the number of the applications in total.

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can have a new application while appealing the one they deemed abandoned. If you appeal, it will take a couple of months to see if you get leave from the Court. If leave is granted, there is a good chance CIC will just agree to reopen your old application.

One concern is that, at least back in 2012-13, if an application was abandoned or withdrawn, chances were that any subsequent application would be red-flagged, leading to RQs, delays, etc.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
bambino said:
Yes, you can have a new application while appealing the one they deemed abandoned. If you appeal, it will take a couple of months to see if you get leave from the Court. If leave is granted, there is a good chance CIC will just agree to reopen your old application.

One concern is that, at least back in 2012-13, if an application was abandoned or withdrawn, chances were that any subsequent application would be red-flagged, leading to RQs, delays, etc.
@Joe 123
I am sorry to know what happened with you.

Here is the link for filing multiple applications:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/multiple.asp

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am really sorry to hear your story. So as others have asked, what have you been doing during this time? You had to act WAY earlier! Were you living in Canada all this time? If there is nothing wrong and fishy about what you have been doing these year, I would get a lawyer and fight it to win your case.

On the other note, I would be totally against bashing all CIC officers. Most of them are there to do their job and execute the law. So not all of them are there to make immigrants life miserable like what you are saying. As you can see, many people get their tests / oath everyday without any problem. Many people get RQ and still get their citizenship where they have nothing to hide, so not all of the officers are crappy.