+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Abandonment Letter Today. Please Help!

jonas10

Feb 17, 2016
Hi I'm hoping someone could help me with my situation. I was invited to take the test on August 4th 2015 and passed. On August 10 2015 as per my inquire I wrote a letter to the Edmonton office informing them of dates I would be out of the country and to please not have my oath on that date.

I received no reply.

My spouse received a letter in September noting my citizenship oath would be on October 20th 2015. I immediately wrote a letter stating that I was out of the country returning in December requesting my oath ceremony be postponed until my return.

I received no reply.

I wrote another letter to the Edmonton office on November 4th 2015 within the 30 day period explaining why I was not at the oath ceremony noting that I was out of the country and requesting a revised oath ceremony.

I received no reply.

Today in February 2016 I have now received a letter that my reason of being out of the country was not sufficient. I even informed them before the oath date was set I would not be here and to please not setup the oath during that period!

What do I do now? I'm so frustrated. I have a young child born here and a job here and dont want to reapply all over again. I wish they just would have told me in August or September or even October that my reason was insufficient and I would have made changes accordingly. Why tell me in February 2016 that my 3 letters were in valid 7 months after my first letter?

Anyone that can please help what should I do? :'(
:'(

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
jonas10 said:
Hi I'm hoping someone could help me with my situation. I was invited to take the test on August 4th 2015 and passed. On August 10 2015 as per my inquire I wrote a letter to the Edmonton office informing them of dates I would be out of the country and to please not have my oath on that date.

I received no reply.

My spouse received a letter in September noting my citizenship oath would be on October 20th 2015. I immediately wrote a letter stating that I was out of the country returning in December requesting my oath ceremony be postponed until my return.

I received no reply.

I wrote another letter to the Edmonton office on November 4th 2015 within the 30 day period explaining why I was not at the oath ceremony noting that I was out of the country and requesting a revised oath ceremony.

I received no reply.

Today in February 2016 I have now received a letter that my reason of being out of the country was not sufficient. I even informed them before the oath date was set I would not be here and to please not setup the oath during that period!

What do I do now? I'm so frustrated. I have a young child born here and a job here and dont want to reapply all over again. I wish they just would have told me in August or September or even October that my reason was insufficient and I would have made changes accordingly. Why tell me in February 2016 that my 3 letters were in valid 7 months after my first letter?

Have you considered of approaching your area Member of Parliament. MP can contact CIC on your behalf and get response in 2 weeks.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Have you considered of approaching your area Member of Parliament. MP can contact CIC on your behalf and get response in 2 weeks.
Ignore this advice -- this source is normally wrong, it is best used as an indicator of what not to do. Why would you want to go through your MP when 1) you are not missing information, and 2) the MP has no power to have your citizenship application re-opened?

Your problem is this, CIC received your letters, but didn't accept them in the way that you had hoped. It sounds as if you thought that simply notifying CIC that you would be out of the country was enough, and they would delay your oath date; in fact, you have to notify CIC with a reason that they accept. You did, they didn't, they cancelled your application, and I'm afraid you will probably have to apply again.

As for what to do right now, I would suggest one of two things. You might try calling the help centre, and ask them if it is possible to appeal a cancellation of a citizenship application; or you might try talking to a lawyer. If you take the latter route, it'll be expensive, possibly lengthy, and it might just be simpler to reapply.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
You need to start the legal battle right now,
By requesting judicial review of CIC decision.
You probably will need a lawyer,
We had a recent case like this one on this forum and CIC did cancel abandonment before the judicial review concluded

betoherman

Star Member
Apr 10, 2015
No judgement but why you just called them intead sending letters. A friend just called them and they ceremony was postponed. Why is so important to leave the country when you are certainly close to the application ending. Good luck. The good thing is that under the new rules you will wait less than a year.

ss_2015

Star Member
May 5, 2015
nope said:
Ignore this advice -- this source is normally wrong, it is best used as an indicator of what not to do. Why would you want to go through your MP when 1) you are not missing information, and 2) the MP has no power to have your citizenship application re-opened?

Your problem is this, CIC received your letters, but didn't accept them in the way that you had hoped. It sounds as if you thought that simply notifying CIC that you would be out of the country was enough, and they would delay your oath date; in fact, you have to notify CIC with a reason that they accept. You did, they didn't, they cancelled your application, and I'm afraid you will probably have to apply again.

As for what to do right now, I would suggest one of two things. You might try calling the help centre, and ask them if it is possible to appeal a cancellation of a citizenship application; or you might try talking to a lawyer. If you take the latter route, it'll be expensive, possibly lengthy, and it might just be simpler to reapply.
Approaching MP can never hurt, why you say he is wrong? Me and my friends have approached MPs for different CIC issues and guess what?!! It helped a lot when they do follow up. It is just the matter of they really want to do follow up for u or not.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Generally, it is not a good idea to be out of the country when you have a pending citizenship application if you cannot return right away for the test, oath or other event that requires your personal appearance in Canada. You are taking a big risk. In this case though, I think the OP made a good faith effort to inform CIC, as they request, of an extended absence. If CIC won't reopen the case, I could see an issue of procedural fairness here, but pushing that would likely require legal counsel and some considerable expense with an uncertain result.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
You typically have 30 days to appeal or request judicial review for this type of decision.

Don't wait until you run out of time.

You need to start the legal battle right now (unless your are just planning to reapply).
We had a recent case like this one on this forum and CIC did cancel abandonment before the judicial review concluded

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
arambi said:
You typically have 30 days to appeal or request judicial review for this type of decision.

You need to start the legal battle right now (unless your are just planning to reapply).
Yes, OP should be aware of time limits on requesting review.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
jonas10 - did you give any specific reasons for requesting the postponement (beyond stating that you will simply be out of the country)? If so, what was it? CIC is usually pretty easy going regarding postponement of the oath ceremony. Were you away for a long time?

jonas10

Feb 17, 2016
arambi said:
You need to start the legal battle right now,

Can you please refer me to the thread regarding this? I'd like to speak with the person on this.

How do i request a judicial review. I called today and they noted they received all 3 letters but for some reason never replied before my oath that my reason was "insufficient".

Yukaa08

Jan 23, 2016
jonas10 said:

I received no reply.

I received no reply.

I received no reply.

You have to write a letter and put a picture of the "proof" that you are going out of the country for example your plane ticket.

jonas10

Feb 17, 2016
Yukaa08 said:
You have to write a letter and put a picture of the "proof" that you are going out of the country for example your plane ticket.
All of this was done. Back in August 2015 immediately after the citizenship test. Even today when I called the help desk they said they had all three letters on file.

jonas10

Feb 17, 2016
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Apparently there is a huge problem with this reader. Like his name suggest, "Negative" all his comments are devoid of any logic and always to mislead the candidates.

Nobody ever claimed that Members of Parliament got super powers to twist anybody arms and get the things done. What I suggested and seconded by other sensible readers is the MP's can help to get quick answers.

Looks like, the user @Nope is sadist and derives pleasure by seeing the candidate in trouble and hate to see they are given options to extricate themselves. If one notice all his previous comments, each one is just to mislead candidate and make sure they does not get any good advise.

Like most others, having endured the torture I try to put myself in their shoes and suggest, what could be the best approach.

You are exposed and identified for all your negative comments, which undoubtedly always ill advised, malicious and illogical.
Thanks for the details Canadiandesi. I figure it cant hurt to ask my MP. Either he does something or I look at other avenues. Either way I dont see what the downside for asking is.

jonas10

Feb 17, 2016
arambi said:

How do I request a judicial review without a lawyer?

I basically want to show that I sent letters back in August 2015 months (i even have the fax confirmation and registered mail reciept that it was received) before the October oath ceremony specifically requesting no oath during October and still they gave it exactly when I said I wouldnt be there.

If the judicial review still doesnt work I'll reapply.