+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Abandoned my refugee status 12 Y ago Now Marrying a US canadian

djibking

Nov 13, 2015
hello all

I was in canada in 1994-2004. I abondonned my refugee status in canada in when i left canada in 2003 (12 years ago) and went back home for personal reason. I knpw that case is closed and cold.
I came back to the USA as an asylee (no US PR yet) and i m legally here in USA. I met my CANADIAN wife in 2015. we want to do an canadian spousal outland sponsorship while i m in USA. My questions are as follow:

1. Do i have to tell CIC about my previous status in canada.
2.Do i have to tell about my criminal 1st and only offense when i was 19 (that s what delayed my canadian PR in 1994-2003) when i left. Its not a huge thing.. just a fight one night . Is it safe to tell that in the app
3.Is it possible for a US asylee or US PR to do a canadian outland spousal app. I know its do able for US citizen but I m not one yet. I work here in USA and can travel to Canada when i want.

Your thoughs are appreciate it. Please ask me all questions

thanks a lot :) :)

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Expect more scrutiny given you were once in Canada, applied for refugee status but left. CIC will want to make sure your marriage to a Canadian is genuine and not for the purpose of gaining admission to Canada. So do well to submit adequate proof of your relationship, explain any unusual circumstances or red flags, etc.

Criminal record - if it delayed your PR before, you can be sure it will come up again. Did you complete your sentence? Has it been 5 yrs since the sentence? Here's info to determine whether or not you may be criminally inadmissible: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

djibking said:
hello all

I was in canada in 1994-2004. I abondonned my refugee status in canada in when i left canada in 2003 (12 years ago) and went back home for personal reason. I knpw that case is closed and cold.
I came back to the USA as an asylee (no US PR yet) and i m legally here in USA. I met my CANADIAN wife in 2015. we want to do an canadian spousal outland sponsorship while i m in USA. My questions are as follow:

1. Do i have to tell CIC about my previous status in canada. Yes, on form IMM 5669, question 6. Failure to disclose it will result in your application being refused and you being banned from Canada for 5 yrs.

2.Do i have to tell about my criminal 1st and only offense when i was 19 (that s what delayed my canadian PR in 1994-2003) when i left. Its not a huge thing.. just a fight one night . Is it safe to tell that in the app Yes, on the same form as above.

3.Is it possible for a US asylee or US PR to do a canadian outland spousal app. I know its do able for US citizen but I m not one yet. I work here in USA and can travel to Canada when i want. Yes. You don't have to be a US citizen but your spouse who is sponsoring you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have to be honest about everything - including all criminal charges and all refugee claims. If you aren't, CIC will find out, refuse your application and ban you from Canada for 5 years for lying in your application.

djibking

Nov 13, 2015
Yes Thanks a lot Scylla . No way I m going to lie to canada or my wife :D . HELL NO!
I know being faithfull and truthfull will be positive
I d rather wait 3 years for the process (and travel back and forth) than be barred for 5 (or forever in some cases)

How about my question 3? is it possible to do an outland APP even for a non US citizen like me?
:D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
djibking said:
Yes Thanks a lot Scylla . No way I m going to lie to canada or my wife :D . HELL NO!
I know being faithfull and truthfull will be positive
I d rather wait 3 years for the process (and travel back and forth) than be barred for 5 (or forever in some cases)

How about my question 3? is it possible to do an outland APP even for a non US citizen like me?
:D
You have to file an outland application. Inland is only available to those who are living in Canada. Since you are living outside of the US, your only choice is to apply outland.

ddk2130

Dec 14, 2014
djibking said:
hello all

1. Do i have to tell CIC about my previous status in canada.
2.Do i have to tell about my criminal 1st and only offense when i was 19 (that s what delayed my canadian PR in 1994-2003) when i left. Its not a huge thing.. just a fight one night . Is it safe to tell that in the app
3.Is it possible for a US asylee or US PR to do a canadian outland spousal app. I know its do able for US citizen but I m not one yet. I work here in USA and can travel to Canada when i want.

You have to be completely honest with all the questions. The police clearances will show your criminal history and your previous refugee status will also be easily revealed in their files.

Build your case stating reasons, prove your marriage to be genuine. Perhaps consulting an immigration lawyer would help your case.

djibking

Nov 13, 2015
scylla said:
You have to file an outland application. Inland is only available to those who are living in Canada. Since you are living outside of the US, your only choice is to apply outland.
i live in US now and can travel back and forth to her in canada
i guess best choice is outland thanks a lot

djibking

Nov 13, 2015
ddk2130 said:
You have to be completely honest with all the questions. The police clearances will show your criminal history and your previous refugee status will also be easily revealed in their files.

Build your case stating reasons, prove your marriage to be genuine. Perhaps consulting an immigration lawyer would help your case.
thanks a lot
will keep u posted