+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AB Health care while applying Inland Sponsorship

Mar 17, 2016
in which case they would have a stamp in the passport showing the length of the stay permitted right? Therefore no stamp means 6 months from the latest proof of entry we can provide which is a boarding pass with her name on it...

if immigration decides on rolling out a policy not to stamp passports because they want to save on ink, then they should make a barrier free way for TRV holders to obtain proof on their legitimacy of stay in Canada, for whatever reason they may require. That shouldn't involve a form with a 1 month processing time and $100 fee. And worst of all, the coverage is not retroactive, it is instated from the date of the letter not date of entry.

Anyone in Canada can apply to extend their visitor status...so what reason do we have to believe that an extension would be granted? Anyone can apply for anything, she could apply for citizenship tomorrow, doesn't mean it would be accepted. I can see this coming back rejected on the grounds that she has 6 months left on her TRV which is adequate time to apply for PR status.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
in which case they would have a stamp in the passport showing the length of the stay permitted right? Therefore no stamp means 6 months from the latest proof of entry we can provide which is a boarding pass with her name on it...

if immigration decides on rolling out a policy not to stamp passports because they want to save on ink, then they should make a barrier free way for TRV holders to obtain proof on their legitimacy of stay in Canada, for whatever reason they may require. That shouldn't involve a form with a 1 month processing time and $100 fee. And worst of all, the coverage is not retroactive, it is instated from the date of the letter not date of entry.

Anyone in Canada can apply to extend their visitor status...so what reason do we have to believe that an extension would be granted? Anyone can apply for anything, she could apply for citizenship tomorrow, doesn't mean it would be accepted. I can see this coming back rejected on the grounds that she has 6 months left on her TRV which is adequate time to apply for PR status.
As far as I know, a passport stamp cannot be accepted by AHCIP anyways. The lack of a stamp is still not proof of status. Perhaps they were issued a short Visitor Record without a stamp and removed it from the passport.

Visitors generally aren't entitled to any such benefits that require showing proof of status. None of the other provinces even grant coverage to visiting spouses without proof of the PR app being in process; in fact, most don't even give coverage at all until the person is actually a PR. Visitors generally only deal with IRCC/CBSA, which can easily verify their status. It is not IRCC's responsibility to ensure a person has proof of status "for whatever reason they require". That responsibility lies with the individual. Your partner could have requested a Visitor Record upon entry.

Yes, the extension could be refused.

It may sound a bit harsh but it looks like you didn't really verify what was needed before your partner came to Canada. Her coming to Canada with no emergency coverage at all was certainly a huge oversight.

Mar 17, 2016
I'm afraid there is only so much investigation and preparation one can do with the limited information provided by the government. We are left to post on forums relying often on conjecture or opinion. Especially given that you literally cannot contact an immigration agent by phone to get your questions answered, the service offered by them is a disaster.

Even something presumed as common knowledge (such as AB being the only province to grant healthcare to visitors) is not accessible or obvious to anyone trying to immigrate. Nowhere is it listed on federal governments website a summary of each province and its respective health care benefits. And even if you stumbled onto AB health's website, have fun deciphering whether you are eligible for health care with their info page. For example, why must a work permit be minimum of 6 months to be eligible yet a visitor permit (as far as I know are usually less than 6 months) permitted? How can anyone on a visitor permit "intend to reside for 12 consecutive months" without any legal right to do so?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=442&_ga=2.200142764.368401350.1527526343-292440081.1510937648
Basically we are expected to learn CBSA's job and correct them when they don't follow SOP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm afraid there is only so much investigation and preparation one can do with the limited information provided by the government. We are left to post on forums relying often on conjecture or opinion. Especially given that you literally cannot contact an immigration agent by phone to get your questions answered, the service offered by them is a disaster.

Even something presumed as common knowledge (such as AB being the only province to grant healthcare to visitors) is not accessible or obvious to anyone trying to immigrate. Nowhere is it listed on federal governments website a summary of each province and its respective health care benefits. And even if you stumbled onto AB health's website, have fun deciphering whether you are eligible for health care with their info page. For example, why must a work permit be minimum of 6 months to be eligible yet a visitor permit (as far as I know are usually less than 6 months) permitted? How can anyone on a visitor permit "intend to reside for 12 consecutive months" without any legal right to do so?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=442&_ga=2.200142764.368401350.1527526343-292440081.1510937648
Basically we are expected to learn CBSA's job and correct them when they don't follow SOP?
Your issue really has nothing to do with IRCC or CBSA. The federal government is not responsible for summarizing provincial healthcare to people. The AHCIP application is pretty clear that they accept Visitor Records.

Most provinces have a 6 month rule for foreign workers, as it increases the likelihood that the person will be employed and actually pay into the system. There is no such requirement for visiting spouses in Alberta because they can't pay into the system and are basically only being granted coverage through a loophole that really should be closed.

Mar 17, 2016
Your issue really has nothing to do with IRCC or CBSA. The federal government is not responsible for summarizing provincial healthcare to people. The AHCIP application is pretty clear that they accept Visitor Records.

Most provinces have a 6 month rule for foreign workers, as it increases the likelihood that the person will be employed and actually pay into the system. There is no such requirement for visiting spouses in Alberta because they can't pay into the system and are basically only being granted coverage through a loophole that really should be closed.
that's where I disagree, if you are attracting immigrants to your country why shouldn't things like tax rates and health care information be made available? You are of the opinion that it is a loophole, I doubt it, the government knows full well where its health care budget is going. IMO it is a benefit paid for by our tax dollars and as such should either be open and easily available to visitors, or closed entirely. In my situation I have the option of living in BC or AB, I chose to relocate to Alberta and get married there exclusively for this benefit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
that's where I disagree, if you are attracting immigrants to your country why shouldn't things like tax rates and health care information be made available? You are of the opinion that it is a loophole, I doubt it, the government knows full well where its health care budget is going. IMO it is a benefit paid for by our tax dollars and as such should either be open and easily available to visitors, or closed entirely. In my situation I have the option of living in BC or AB, I chose to relocate to Alberta and get married there exclusively for this benefit.
It is already available. Healthcare is provincial and clearly explained on provincial websites, very easy to find. I'm really not sure why you also refer to tax rates, as that info is extremely easy to find on federal and provincial websites.

I call it a loophole in that there is no specific legislation allowing visitors to be covered. Spouses are able to get coverage because the law states that all dependents of an AHCIP holder are eligible for coverage. Healthcare in any province should never be "open and available to visitors". Alberta should cetainly close this loophole by requiring spouses to at least have a sponsorship app in process.

You moved to Alberta exclusively so that your partner could get healthcare as a visitor but never actually looked at the application to see what was required? You can't blame the governent for that.

Mar 17, 2016
Like I said, I read through the website of Alberta health several times and it was not clear to me, calling Alberta Health and speaking to their agents (4 seperate agents) each time getting a different story.

Per the AB Health website:

"Alberta Health requires applicants to include one of the following documents from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with your application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage:

• Confirmation of permanent residence
  • Permanent resident card
  • Active work* (minimum 6 months), study* or visitor* permit for Alberta or a designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation."

So what is a visitor permit? Search that term in goverment of Canada's website and it does not show any matches.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Like I said, I read through the website of Alberta health several times and it was not clear to me, calling Alberta Health and speaking to their agents (4 seperate agents) each time getting a different story.

Per the AB Health website:

"Alberta Health requires applicants to include one of the following documents from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with your application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage:

• Confirmation of permanent residence
  • Permanent resident card
  • Active work* (minimum 6 months), study* or visitor* permit for Alberta or a designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation."

So what is a visitor permit? Search that term in goverment of Canada's website and it does not show any matches.
As already said, the actual application form states "Visitor Record".