+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AB Health care while applying Inland Sponsorship

Mar 17, 2016
Hi, I need some help with this I have read the Alberta Healthcare website as well as called them but I'm getting different information.

Fiancee is here on a TRV, we plan to marry shortly and apply inland. She just landed and the border did not stamp her passport.

I am an Alberta resident, can she apply as my spouse/dependent and if so what entry document could we use if they did not stamp the passport?

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/temporary-residents.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Marriage certificate. She isn't eligible when she lands if she is just your girlfriend. What is your status in Canada?

Mar 17, 2016
I'm a citizen, we plan to get legally married next week so just planning ahead to have all our documentation ready. We want to get her covered asap afterwards, being without coverage makes me uneasy...

Mar 17, 2016
Ok we tried to apply for AHCIP and were denied, they said that she does not have status and our marriage certificate is not sufficient. the registry agent told us that rules had just changed as of May 1, 2018.

Is anyone else having the same issues? I called Alberta Health and they said that with a positive first decision letter they could sign her up, or a "new Canada entry document". The problem is we didn't get stamped into the country (didn't know the AB government couldn't access the same online records as immigration).

I also couldn't get a straight answer from Alberta health if we went to see a doctor before her positive first decision, would the coverage be backdated to her original entry or just as of the date of her decision letter. This is really frustrating to me since nobody at AB health can give me a direct answer, all they do is suggest she apply for a study or work visa without knowing how difficult it is to actually obtain one of those. Also it says explicitly on the AB health website that implied status is not recognized by AB health.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you know exactly what changed May 1? Sounds like they are talking about spousal sponsorship approval and not landing documents like a stamp in her passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok we tried to apply for AHCIP and were denied, they said that she does not have status and our marriage certificate is not sufficient. the registry agent told us that rules had just changed as of May 1, 2018.

Is anyone else having the same issues? I called Alberta Health and they said that with a positive first decision letter they could sign her up, or a "new Canada entry document". The problem is we didn't get stamped into the country (didn't know the AB government couldn't access the same online records as immigration).

I also couldn't get a straight answer from Alberta health if we went to see a doctor before her positive first decision, would the coverage be backdated to her original entry or just as of the date of her decision letter. This is really frustrating to me since nobody at AB health can give me a direct answer, all they do is suggest she apply for a study or work visa without knowing how difficult it is to actually obtain one of those. Also it says explicitly on the AB health website that implied status is not recognized by AB health.
Without proof of status, she cannot be given coverage; she could be in Canada illegally and AHCIP has no way of knowing. They do accept Visitor Records, unless that rule has changed. If you are near the border, she could flagpole and ask CBSA for a VR. Otherwise, she will likely need to wait for that letter.

Did she not get any emergency coverage before coming to Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest clarifying what rule changed May 1st, 2018 before flagpoling. Wouldn't want to get to the border ane fine out things have changed.

Mar 17, 2016
Without proof of status, she cannot be given coverage; she could be in Canada illegally and AHCIP has no way of knowing. They do accept Visitor Records, unless that rule has changed. If you are near the border, she could flagpole and ask CBSA for a VR. Otherwise, she will likely need to wait for that letter.

Did she not get any emergency coverage before coming to Canada?
The frustrating part is they should have access to the same information immigration does. IE if they choose to be lazy and not stamp passports at the border because it is electronic, then they need to share those records with the provincial government.

We did not get private coverage because I had researched this and was under the impression she would be eligible for health care upon arrival. Alberta health's site is ambiguous and vague. Whatever someone's status is, if they have implied status under the federal government, it should be exactly that...status. Not "somewhat" status, or only recognized by CIC status but not at the provincial level.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The frustrating part is they should have access to the same information immigration does. IE if they choose to be lazy and not stamp passports at the border because it is electronic, then they need to share those records with the provincial government.

We did not get private coverage because I had researched this and was under the impression she would be eligible for health care upon arrival. Alberta health's site is ambiguous and vague. Whatever someone's status is, if they have implied status under the federal government, it should be exactly that...status. Not "somewhat" status, or only recognized by CIC status but not at the provincial level.
She was never going to get immediate provincial health coverage, so she most definitely should have purchased emergency coverage.

AHCIP needs to see proof of status. This is shown right in the application form, as the accepted immigration documents are listed: Citizen, PR, Study Permit, Work Permit, Visitor Record.

Mar 17, 2016
As of right now nobody (called AB health several times and spoke with different agents) can confirm this question:

Can a spouse of a canadian citizen on a TRV apply for Alberta health care? Nothing on their website confirms it, it is all ambiguous with "may" being used a lot. Applying for a visitor record costs $100 and involves quite a bit of paperwork, which is pointless if it is not accepted by Alberta health. Since a private plan for a few months until a positive first decision letter would cost about the same.

Quite simply I can see Alberta health saying this after we give them the visitor record: your TRV only allows a visit of 6 months from entry date and therefore you have no status to remain permanently (or have intent to reside in alberta for at least 12 months), rejected.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As of right now nobody (called AB health several times and spoke with different agents) can confirm this question:

Can a spouse of a canadian citizen on a TRV apply for Alberta health care? Nothing on their website confirms it, it is all ambiguous with "may" being used a lot. Applying for a visitor record costs $100 and involves quite a bit of paperwork, which is pointless if it is not accepted by Alberta health. Since a private plan for a few months until a positive first decision letter would cost about the same.

Quite simply I can see Alberta health saying this after we give them the visitor record: your TRV only allows a visit of 6 months from entry date and therefore you have no status to remain permanently (or have intent to reside in alberta for at least 12 months), rejected.
If you search the forum, you will find many who have done this. I can't check right now but I'm pretty sure it states right on the application that they accept Visitor Records.

Mar 17, 2016

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
this is beyond idiotic. Yes visitor records are accepted. To obtain a visitor record if immigration didn't stamp your passport is a 6 month processing time. So its moot since your TRV would expire by the time the record came in. All because they can't look at a TRV and boarding pass and accept that as proof of status.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp?_ga=2.205966225.368401350.1527526343-292440081.1510937648
It is not beyond idiotic and I have no idea where you are getting your information.

1. A TRV has nothing to do with status in Canada. It is simply permission to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. Status is granted by CBSA at the POE. A person can easily be illegal in Canada while in possession of a valid TRV, so it is in no way an indicator of status.

2. A boarding pass is also not an indicator of status. It shows the date of entry and nothing more.

3. No idea where you are getting 6 months for a Visitor Record. Visitor Records are issued right away at the border or when applying for a visitor extension, which takes about a month right now when applying online.

Mar 17, 2016
It is not beyond idiotic and I have no idea where you are getting your information.

1. A TRV has nothing to do with status in Canada. It is simply permission to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. Status is granted by CBSA at the POE. A person can easily be illegal in Canada while in possession of a valid TRV, so it is in no way an indicator of status.

2. A boarding pass is also not an indicator of status. It shows the date of entry and nothing more.

3. No idea where you are getting 6 months for a Visitor Record. Visitor Records are issued right away at the border or when applying for a visitor extension, which takes about a month right now when applying online.
where are you getting your information from? Under what grounds are we permitted to apply for a visitor extension. Through my research the correct forum is verification of status IM5009, or under "verifying or amending documents" on the processing time calculator 6 months...

and in what situation would a person have entered Canada from an international flight holding a valid TRV and be illegal? They would have to pass through immigration at the POE.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
where are you getting your information from? Under what grounds are we permitted to apply for a visitor extension. Through my research the correct forum is verification of status IM5009, or under "verifying or amending documents" on the processing time calculator 6 months...

and in what situation would a person have entered Canada from an international flight holding a valid TRV and be illegal? They would have to pass through immigration at the POE.
I get my infromation from IRCC.

It is pointless to apply for Verification of Status. She has never held one of the verifiable documents.

Anyone in Canada can apply to extend their visitor status. She can state that she is applying for spousal sponsorship.

In what situation? An overstayer. A person comes to Canada on their multiple-entry TRV valid for 10 years and CBSA grants them one month of visitor status. The person doesn't leave after one month. They are then illegally in Canada while still in possession of a valid TRV.