+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AB Health Card Expiring - Work permit extension - pregnant

miamaria

Nov 14, 2016
Hi Guys,
Hope you have a wonderful weekend but my situation.

I am in Canada with Work permit (expires 27.01) I have applied for LMIA and reply should arrive hopefully February/March (my lawyer thought so)
I am pregnant with my first and my health care expires with my visa. My common-in-law (over 1.5 years) is a citizen.
My lawyer will extend my work permit while I am waiting for LMIA reply so I can still work and also keep paying taxes.

But without health card coverage I am not able to go to any of my future appointments as I just cant afford them. They said I have to pay $2500 for delivery deposit fee (refundable when I get my visa and health card back) but each visit for Ultrasound and blood work etc. will cost me money and with a baby on the way it is just not doable. If i do not get any coverage I have 2 options either not to go to any appointments until I get my Yes or No or travel back to my home country and leave my Common-in-law behind and be a ''single mum'' in my home country. As he can not travel/work to Europe without visa as well.

MARRIAGE is not an option.

If you have any suggestions how to get covered or is there any health insurance what would cover all regular visits please let me know.

Thank You.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
miamaria said:
My common-in-law (over 1.5 years) is a citizen.
MARRIAGE is not an option.
"Common-law" is not recognized in Alberta. Instead they have "Adult interdependent Relationships". http://www.law-faqs.org/alberta-faqs/family-law/adult-interdependent-relationships/
I believe you can sign a formal agreement (following rules of "Adult Interdependent Partner Agreement Regulation") with your partner to create a legal relationship, so Alberta will recognize you as his dependent. And as his legal Partner, you may be eligible for AHCIP under him.

is there any health insurance what would cover all regular visits please let me know.
No such product exists. Insurance companies are in the business to make money, so they will not give you a policy where you already have a condition (pregnancy) and it's guaranteed you will be making multiple claims on.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
1. Ask for AB card temporary extension based on your WP/LMIA application, it could help

2. Research into the previous post about being added as dependent of your partner.

3. If you're living together for more than 1 or 2 years (I don't remember exactly), perhaps your partner can sponsoring you for PR, it's not an inmediate solution but think on it

4. Just FYI, your baby will be Canadian citizen by born

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Adult interdependent relationships

Couples who are not married may register as adult interdependent partners. An adult interdependent partner is a person who lives together with another person in a relationship of interdependence:
For a continuous period of not less than three years; or
Of some permanence, if there is a child of the relationship by birth or adoption; or
If the registrant and partner have entered into an adult interdependent partner agreement.
An adult interdependent partner agreement is a written agreement between any two persons who are living together or intend to live together in a relationship of interdependence, as provided for in the Adult Interdependent Relationships Act.
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/status-changes.html