+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A44 report - misrepresentation - case dismissed by court (IRB)

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
If anyone has gone through the IRB (immigration court) before for any reason and has later applied for citizenship, please share your experience

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
I didn't send in any extra documentation and also got citizenship in 7 months.

As you say, it is all case-by-case basis.

Where having extra documentation helped me was at the interview. When the interviewer asked me some questions and I gave an answer, I was also able to back it up with a document in some cases. I think that helped.
Keesio makes some good points here.

Some applicants report a) sending extra documents and b) getting citizenship quickly. But I have not seen anyone offer any proof (such as ATIPs or CIC documentation noting that res concerns were satisfied by extra documentation and the RQ not needed) showing that A actually led to B.

It's just two independent facts in the midst of hundreds of other variables. In my humble opinion, the key variable these days is when the applicant applied (2011/2012=slow, late 2013/2014=fast).

I agree that bringing extra documentation to the interview is a great idea. This is the one and only time in the citizenship process when you can get and provide immediate responses. This is the moment to put any CIC concerns to rest, to answer questions, and to ask them. It's good to take advantage of the opportunity.

arambi said:
If anyone has gone through the IRB (immigration court) before for any reason and has later applied for citizenship, please share your experience
Arambi, you could get in contact with a local settlement agency. They may have someone on staff who would be able to relate previous applicants' experiences and address any concerns that you have.

In general though, I think everything is fine for you and that the citizenship process should go smoothly. You were cleared of misrepresentation. If you include the IRB decision in your application you further show yourself to be credible and straightforward by taking control of the narrative and not hiding the serious charges but showing that it was unsubstantiated.

Good luck!